Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 10 posts ] 
 Post subject: Small-spotted Genet
Unread postPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 8:14 pm 

A visitor at the fabulous Stanley house at Satara,the tail tip ending in white and the long black crest on it's back makes this a small-spotted genet,i also believe it's nose is much more pink.

{Resized by BGS}

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 11:51 am 

Yup... Definitely the Lesser-Spotted Genet.

We've had one in our garden in Murrayfield, Pretoria! Trying to attack a Bush Baby.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 9:31 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

When we whent to the kruger park at satara we also saw this little guy he came and plonked himself in front of our randavel. 8)

Last edited by Batmad on Fri Oct 23, 2009 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Small-spotted Genet
Unread postPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 10:49 pm 

We have recently become aware of a small cat like creature that has taken up to living in our roof. I have searched the web endlessly looking for a look a like. I think I have finally found it - a genet !! I stay in Constantia Kloof, Roodepoort :-) We stay on the side of the "kloof" with lots of shrubs and bush below. I managed to take a photo tonight as I saw it when I was braaing meat. We then put minced meat out and it came onto the table and ate it.
My description of it would be - small cat like head - elongated, slinky body - spotted body - bushy tail with the black rings around the tail. It moves like lightning ! Am I right? Or if wrong, what do you think it might be? Looks sooo like the genet. Lois

Unread postPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 11:45 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Lois,

Welcome to the forums! Hope you'll have many an enjoyable moment.. what am I talking about, hour! - here. :mrgreen:

Sounds from your description that you're right. Either small-spotted or large-spotted genet. The small/large being the size of the spots, not the animal.

Just one thing - please don't feed it and get it to become accustomed to and dependant upon getting food, and then becoming a problem! I know they're cute, but let it fend for itself. It is far better that way. Or at least give it natural food, such a worms and locusts. Or birds... :twisted: Serious now. It should not become dependant and insistent.

I believe that for man to survive, we must work with nature rather than against her. We need the land; the land doesn't need us. Too many people have lost sight of this fact. - Bruce Truter

Unread postPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 6:31 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
A warm welcome to the forum Lois :D They are exceedingly cute. It is a pity that they have had their natural habitat reduced to such an extent.

Unread postPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 5:59 pm 

Thanks so much for the input. I am a total nature loving freak - I absolutely love nature and animals. We also have a dassie that has been here forever, oh and some guinea fowl (my favourites) lots of bird life. I have a habit of feeding all of them :-(

Is there any organization (wild life) that would come and capture for relocation? I would not like to see that some resident in the area hurts or kills it ! I thought if I fed it, I could keep it safe here with us :-(

Thanks
Lois

Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 2:17 pm 

Hi Louis,

I won´t do anything. Let the Genet be there. But honestly do not feed it in the long run you will benefit from. I have no clue if you have cats around your house ,if not be happy your mouse/rat problem is solved. As far as I know the<y will eat mice and rats, that mean you will defenatly have a lower number of Snakes, because the genet eat there food! You can enjoy the genet by looking at them. The only Problem that I see will be the dassies. Genets will also eat Dassies. But on the other hand that is nature!

Enjoy

But Please stop feeding animals. In kruger quite a high numer of Predators, mainly Hyeanas getting shot, because of begging for food. As you already said you love nature but with that behaivior you will destroy it! And i can imagine, that this is not your goal!

Best Regards

Malealea

Unread postPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 9:42 pm 

Location: Should be in SA, but, i find my self in the isle of man (UK)
Said hello to this guy out side our Bungalow at Satara in August 09 :dance:

Last edited by brendon111 on Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Unread postPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 5:31 pm 

excellent pics! Love them....

I camped at Baviaans a few months back, just for teh night. Anyway, at just after midnight, one came down teh embankment, he knew we were there, but obviously no threat, he skulked past about 1.5m from us. It was one of those moments where you suddenly realise houses, industry, cars, buildings, trains, planes and all that should never have been invented, and we should be in bearskins lol