Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 912 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57 ... 61  Next
 Post subject: 9 male lions on H7
Unread postPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:11 pm 

Hello mites
I had an excellent sighting of about 9 male lions on the H7 between orpen and satara as we were exiting the park..couldnt ask for more and it was sad that we had to leave these boys as time was short and we had a long way to travel and could not spend much more time in the park.
Does anybody know which pride they come from? Or does this pride have a name?

Post subject: Re: 9 male lions on h7
Unread postPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:23 pm 

Unread postPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:30 pm 

Unread postPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 11:24 pm 

These males used to be 11 but 2 were killed by the 6 Matimba males in Manyeleti and were born into the Skybeds/Orpen pride that goes between northern Manyeleti and southern Timbavati.
I know these boys have been spending a lot of time on Ngala in Timbavati and near the Orpen gate area.
I've been following their story as much as I can get info on them

Post subject: Re: 3 Male lions near Skukuza
Unread postPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 11:25 am 

Hi there,

Does anybody know whether one of these males have a missing canine (left, ). We saw 3 male lions, which we believe are the Toulons, on the Bravo loop on the H4-1 close to Skukuza in December. I later discovered on a video clip that I took of the 3 roaring, that the bigger male only has 1 canine at the bottom and that the left one is missing.

Post subject: Re: A heard of lion !
Unread postPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 6:22 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi all,

Early June 2012 Lettie and myself found ourselves in Satara for one night.

The campsite was PACKED and eventually a lady [ Cathy Verster ] approached us after we were driving up and down several times looking for a place to pitch out little dome tent which we use for fly camping when staying over for only one night at a time. She kindly guided us to a secluded spot behind their camp and shared their power supply with us.

A little later we joined them for after supper coffee during which they advised us to drive the S100 early the next morning as it was renown for lion.

Well, the next morning we rushed to the gate all set to search for lion, just to find ourselves waiting at the gate with a score of cars ahead of us. What a disappointment it was to find most of these cars turning onto the S100 ahead of us, the road was transformed into a dust bowl ! All lions will now be scared off and fled way into the bush !

We slowed down to allow the dust to settle and started focusing on photographing frozen impala and frozen guinea fowl.

Soon the taller trees along the road made space for low shrubbery with the odd tree skeleton spread over the veld.

Lettie noticed three such dead trees lining up in an striking line and we stopped for a photo.

Next moment a lioness popped out of the shrubs right by the nearest tree !

Soon more, and more, and more lions could be seen moving through the shrubs and then emerging a little further up the road where the ones in the lead seem to linger to plan their next move.

By now we had lost count of the number of lions moving into and through open spaces in the shrubs.
Twelve were seen entering the shrubs but it seems that more were already in the shrubs or had arrived from further in behind the shrubs.

Soon some started moving ahead through the open savannah along the road. The below mother and son were clearly on a mission that could only lead to an inevitable kill.

Soon more . . . and more . . . and more lion were pouring onto the open veld and they looked more like a herd of impala. On the next photo eighteen lion can be counted with several more spread out too wide to be in the photo.

We normally have poor luck in finding lion making this sighting one of the real WOW highlights
of our years of visiting Kruger !

Later that morning, back in Satara we were told that a pride [ rather a herd ] of 24 lion had been seen several times along the S100 - apparently there are also two magnificently maned males. We never saw the two of them, but we certainly saw a sight to behold that day !

Last edited by 100ponder on Wed Jul 11, 2012 8:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject: Re: Lion
Unread postPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 6:31 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Award: Angel of the Year Award: Small Parks Promoter of the Year (2012)
That's amazing 100ponder :thumbs_up: You never know what bonus you get when you stop.

Wonderful sighting :clap: :clap: :clap:

Sanibonani(isiZulu), Molo(isiXhosa), Thobela(Sepedi), Dumela(Setswana), Lumela(Sesotho)
Abusheni(Xitsonga), Sanibona(siSwati), Avuwani(Tshivenda), Salibonani(isiNdebele), Hello(English), Hallo(Afrikaans)

Unread postPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 8:12 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Lovely pics 100ponder :thumbs_up: I was also up at Maroela in early June ans also heard that there was a massive pride to be found on the s100 :shock:

Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 2:06 pm 

Untitled by

Lioness in lower sabie

Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 6:39 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Award: Sighting of the Year - Birds (2012)
Great sightings

Few images from the S100

Unread postPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 6:18 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Mating Pair...
Giving me the evel eye....

Satara 20 April 14 - 21 May 14
Skukuza 22 May 14 - 31 May 14
Lower Sabie 01 June 14 - 31 June 14

4 sleeps :dance:

Unread postPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 8:38 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Award: Sighting of the Year - Birds (2012)
Great sighting and images Oumie :clap:

Not everybody have a change to witness Lions mating or when you spot them they are too far from the road :(

We had the privilege of witnessing them mating on the tar road between Skukuza and Tshokwane.

We manage to capture the aggression of the Lioness after the mating took place and relaxing afterwards before it start all over again.

Please allow me to share a series of images of our wonderful sighting.

The players ...before the action...

The drama...

Relaxing after all the aggression....

Hope you enjoy the images :D

Last edited by Jan van Wyk on Sun Jul 08, 2012 9:49 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Unread postPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 8:52 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Jan, your photos are stunning, just stunning!!!!! (Not much else I can say)

Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 7:00 am 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Award: Quiz Whiz of the Year (2013)
Award: Musketeer of the Year, Quiz Whiz of the Year (2012)
Fantastic photos, Jan van Wyk, Leo21. :clap: :clap: :clap:

100Ponder, what a sighting indeed! In January we saw probably the same pride, of which 7 lionesses and 20 cubs were crossing the S100; by far the biggest grouping of lions we have ever seen. We've since heard that the pride has swollen and may split soon. We drove the S100 close to mid-day that particular morning after a man told us that the same road was a waste of time because all he had seen were two giraffe, three impala, and one wildebeest! I followed my intuition and ... pay dirt! You just never know in the Park. :D

Actually, when Satara is busy there is always the maddest take off on the Formula-1 grid to be the first to spot cats along the S100. It's totally ridiculous and obviously scares the animals away. What I usually do is let all the cars roar past until there is just us and the bushveld, whereupon we often find our own roars waiting along the same road that everyone missed a few moments prior in their frenetic stupidity. :wink:

TR: PRIMEVAL PLEASURE

"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." (Groucho Marx)

Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 7:32 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Brilliant photos Jan van Wyk and Oumie!! :clap: :clap: :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up:

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit." Aristotle

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 912 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57 ... 61  Next