Moderator: RosemaryH

onewithnature
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Award: Quiz Whiz of the Year (2013)

Re: African Wild Dog

Unread postby onewithnature » Sun Jun 16, 2013 2:50 am

Friedrich von Hörsten wrote:Hi OWN,

What a special experience that must have been!
Glad to hear you saw PUPS, which implies more than one??!

We spent 2 nights at Pretoriuskop in September, and were told the dogs had left the previous week and were no longer around... on the last evening 10 minutes before gate closing time, we turned off the H1-1 to Pretoriuskop, but via die DIRT road, and yes, 3 adults and 1 pup came trotting down the road and disappeared into the grass. We made a u-turn back to the tar road and waited. A car came by and we stopped them. "Wait for wild dogs" we said. They smiled and drove on. Ten seconds later the dogs were in the tar road. They slammed om brakes and came back, grinning sheepishly!
But only 1 pup.
Glad you saw the others too!

God bless,

Friedrich von Hörsten

:clap: :clap: :clap: How lovely, Friedrich. I've done that dirt road probably two or three dozen times and have never seen anything of great consequence on it, perhaps as the grass there is particularly high. I've noticed too how flippant people can be these days, probably because so many are impatient. Do you know how old the pup was?

As for our sighting, we were cruising the tar road towards Skukuza and had just passed the first Napi turnoff when I noticed shapes spread out on the slight rise about 400m distant. Even before I had trained the binocs on them, I knew it was wild dogs. Then I had to control my excitement as I moved steadily towards them, trying not to scare them off by being too frenetic. However, they were in easy trot mode and, as we closed on them, my spine almost shot through my head as the excitement levels climbed just as quickly: "PUPS," I yelled, as silently as possible. They were probably around five to six months old and there were five of them trailing the lead dogs. An adult stayed with them at the back and it was delightful to see the interplay between them. Every so often the lead dogs would stop and gaze off into the bush, fully alert, before continuing on their loping trot. I couldn't believe that there were no other cars and then we were doubly excited as they turned onto the second Napi road as we could still continue following them. As wild dogs often do, they split into two fronts and fanned out, always keeping their steady trot. Just before the great boulders the lead dogs veered off through the thick grass and sped up, causing a troop of baboons on top of the rocks to squeal and scramble higher. We never did see what prey they had spotted, but we didn't mind as the sighting itself had been so special: it's not often that one can get to follow these amazing predators so freely and without the hindrances of other cars. It will forever remain one of the greatest sightings that Kruger has dished up for us.
EVERYBODY'S TR!
TR: A NEW DAY IS S-OWN
TR: NECTAREAN NICETIES OF THE NORTH
TR: PRIMEVAL PLEASURE

"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." (Groucho Marx)

Johann
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Johann » Sun Jun 16, 2013 8:21 am

Found a pack of 12-15 dogs on the H1-2 somewhere between the H12 turn-off and the N'watindlopfu river on 02 July 2013. Not easy to photograph or count even as they were quite busy and on the move. Managed to get only a few shots.

Clicking on image will open original

Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better.
Albert Einstein

Latest lifers from Kruger NP:
Black Coucal Centropus grillii Swartvleiloerie
Flappet Lark Mirafra rufocinnamomea Laeveldklappertjie

Gunner
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger
Location: South Africa, Mpumalanga, Middelburg....289km from KNP!!!

Unread postby Gunner » Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:56 am

Took this image on the S126 Sweni road

Bush Baptist
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Funniest/Best Forumite Name (2013)

Unread postby Bush Baptist » Tue Jun 18, 2013 12:39 pm

I have checked my records and my first wild dog sighting was near Pkop circa 1980. It was a brief but unmistakeable sighting of a single dog down one of the dirt roads. By the time I turned around and got there it was gone.

I have been fortunate to have had another 16 wild dog sightings in Kruger since then, including 2 kills.
4 sightings have been a single dog, while the largest pack was 24.

I have seen the same pack on 3 consecutive days (I count each day from scratch) twice.

Most of the sightings have been on the Croc Bridge - LS tar road (5) incuding a kill, and 4 (but long ago) in the Pkop area, with 2 on the H7 and 2 at the Transport Dam (kill) or on the road down there.

My last sighting was the 24 on the S33 in Nov 2009, my sixth consecutive trip of doggie sightings.
Whatever (according to BB): "You are correct but I don't want to admit it".

shaheen

Unread postby shaheen » Thu Jun 20, 2013 12:47 pm

Elsa

Unread postby Elsa » Fri Jun 21, 2013 2:42 pm

We had a very brief but definite sighting of a single dog a km or so before the Phalaborwa gate on 12th June.
It appeared to have an injured leg and we think it was trying to catch up to the rest of the pack.
Where ever you go, go with all your Heart.

Please add your vote in the Website Community Choice Award

onewithnature

Unread postby onewithnature » Fri Jun 21, 2013 8:44 pm

Shaheen, that's so special. :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: Dogs are one of the few animals that are really difficult to predict and, mostly, it's potluck. Glad you finally got to see them.

Elsa, a dog is a dog, whether it's a pack or a loner. As you say, most likely the pack was up ahead somewhere.

BB, thanks for sharing your stats with us. Makes interesting reading. It shows how seldom dogs are actually sighted; my stats read somewhat similarly and I have also been going to Kruger for yonks. What is magnificent for me is that I almost always remember every wild dog, cheetah, and leopard sighting, and many of the lion ones. Bet you remember every one of your wild dog sightings too?
EVERYBODY'S TR!

"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." (Groucho Marx)

Carol g
FAC Member (2013)

Unread postby Carol g » Fri Jun 21, 2013 9:40 pm

On our recent trip to Kruger we were lucky enough to see 2 wild dog sightings .The first was 9 dogs on the S25 and the next 4 Dogs on the Satara/ Olifants tar road, about 5 km from Satara.

Our very first wild dog sighting I remember vividly, even though it was in 1982, it was between Skukuza and Tshokwane, 15 doggies running on the road, will never forget that sighting.
Those who have no love in there hearts for animals, have no love in there hearts at all

flying cheetah
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread postby flying cheetah » Sun Jun 23, 2013 9:18 pm

Adult and Youngster:

Akukho nyon' endiz' ingahlali phansi. (Zulu)
There is not a bird that flies and never sits down.

100ponder
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby 100ponder » Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:50 pm

During our early May 2013 safari to KNP we were lucky enough to find dogs twice seeing the remaines of a kill just minutes after the dogs had left.

Our first sighting [ 01 / 05 / 2013 ] was in the Renosterkoppies area with the pack clearly resting with bulging bellies. The main group was barely visible some 20m off the road in tall grass and two dogs quite close to the road. Unfortunately we could not get a count due to the tall grass.

This is a photo of one right next to the road :-

The next day we moved camp further north and along the H1-2 we got word of dogs at a kill further up the road.
We found the sight approx. 100m north of the Leeupan turn-off but unfortunately the dogs had left and some vultures were tending to the impala skeleton :-

Then the very next day we found another pack of dogs in the Tsale spruit area along the H14. There was a hyena den in a stormwater pipe under the road and the agitated hyena family soon pointed us at the dogs which were just off the road together with some zebra. At one stage a hyena ventured towards where we could hear dogs behing a screen of bush but he soon scampered back with a dog in pursuit. The hyenas now remained at the den, the zebras disappeared and soon two dogs were seen trotting away further up the road. The following photo was shot through the windscreen by Lettie while I was slowly driving up to them:-

Some blood was visible on the faces and necks of these dogs and one can just speculate what happened. There were young hyena at the den - did the dogs catch one of them ? Did the dogs catch a zebra foul so close to the hyena den - not likely. . . .

All the time we could hear dogs close to the road.

Why were the zebras so close to hyenas and wild dogs ?

What happened ? We will never know for sure. . . .

isinkwe
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger
FAC Member (2014)
Location: Lost somewhere in the travel tales,and don't want to be found

Unread postby isinkwe » Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:16 pm

Kruger Park on H1-1

KRUGERPARKING is good for your health. Keep on KRUGERPARKING.

Mfezi
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Mfezi » Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:27 pm

Some Wild Dog pics... The first pic was taken on the H3 about 500m after the turn off from the H1-1. The second pic was taken on the S82.

KobusF

Unread postby KobusF » Thu Jul 04, 2013 1:06 pm

Hi friends

We saw these Wild Dogs on our trip in January 2013 on the way to Lower Sabie just past Nkulu. The first pic was on the bright of N'watimhiri.
13/6 tot 16/6 2015 Mopani
17/12 tot 21/12 2015 Onder Sabie
27/12 tot 2/1 2016 Letaba

SamoesaWoestyn

Unread postby SamoesaWoestyn » Sun Jul 07, 2013 9:50 am

During November 2011 we saw this pack of 17 dogs at Rabelais Dam. The young ones were very playful the whole afternoon.

SamoesaWoestyn

Rare Antelope Sightings!

Returning to Kruger in December 2013!!!

onewithnature

Unread postby onewithnature » Mon Jul 08, 2013 6:00 am

Love this thread as every wild dog sighting is thrilling and special. :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
EVERYBODY'S TR!

Return to “Mammals”