Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 108 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 3:11 pm 
JenB wrote:
We came across this scene just south of the Olifants lookout point. As we came driving down the hill, the water in the dam began to stir. At first we couldn't make out what was going on but when they followed the every movement we realized, these guys were actually leaving the water to beg for food!! How bad is the problem??? :x :x

When we went pass this spot in February, the terrapins had company….and like the terrapins, it also approached our car….obviously also got use to being fed….luckily it was still a youngster, can you imagine a fully grown croc charging you vehicle, demanding food! :shock:

Image Larger view

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 3:30 pm 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Location: Johannesburg - where they cut down trees and name streets after them.
:shock: Oh...my...word! I'm speechless! I cannot believe that people can be this dumb! Don't they realize that chances are slim for him to live out his days........ :evil:
I'm sorry, this just gets all my emotions going! :cry:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 4:07 pm 

Ditto Jen...nothing freaks me out more :x

Tamboti Oct 1,2,3,4
Biyamiti Oct 5,6,7,8

FGASA Local Area Guide

Nikon D700 FX, Nikkor 24-70 G f2.8, Nikkor 70-200VR f2.8, Nikkor 200-400 VR f4, Nikon 1.4 & 1.7 Convertors

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 6:57 pm 
Regarding the terrapins, just for interest sake, and not at all to soften the issue…. I also think it is a disgrace that people are feeding these animals :evil: ….but out of personal experience, it really does not take much for a wild terrapin to take food from humans and when they do this, it also does not necessarily mean they will become 100% dependant on humans.
To make a long story short: One night, in Maputo, I ended up with a bag containing 3 half-dead terrapins (taken from the wild…not by me…somebody wanted to sell them…he did not get paid! :evil: )…I immediately put them in my bath (what a smell!) and the two bigger ones started showing life. I cooked some chicken for them and first just threw the chicken into the water, hoping they will eat it…but they were too exhaust. Eventually I took the pieces of chicken and physically held it in front of their mouths….just like that, they started eating out of my hand…and kept on doing so for the 3 days I had them…eventually put them outside in big plastic container (realized they need sun) and every time I went closer the 2 larger ones would get on top of the rocks I placed inside, begging for food.
I have to admit, I broke laws to get them to a safe haven where I could released them (the smaller one died the night before “the evacuation” :cry: )….afterwards, I once again saw one at this spot where they were released …and it was once again just another wild terrapin.

IMHO, people are somewhat underestimating the intelligence of animals with the idea of “they will starve because they are dependant on humans”….well actually it is more about instinct than intelligence. The threat pose to wild animal by feeding them is not that they will die of hunger; the threat rather lies in their association with the most dangerous animal on earth…humans. A terrapin being fed will for sure not sit and die of hunger if there are no people coming past, but it might be squashed by a car not noticing a terrapin rushing to it to be fed…..same goes for the hyenas being fed…..the threat for the animal lies in the fact that it will mistakenly see a child’s finger as a yet another piece of boerewors and eventually get shot for the attack. To see how the will to survive takes over from all habitual human dependencies, one just need to look at how once domesticated cats and dogs somehow survive as feral animals in cities all over the world. Feeding wild animals is wrong, but not because the animals are stupid, it is because the same human hand that so easily feeds them will also kill them….and their association with humans makes them soft targets.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 7:47 pm 

Location: Johannesburg - where they cut down trees and name streets after them.
JenB wrote:
Don't they realize that chances are slim for him to live out his days........ :evil:

Jumbo wrote:
Feeding wild animals is wrong, but not because the animals are stupid, it is because the same human hand that so easily feeds them will also kill them….and their association with humans makes them soft targets.

My point exactly! What eventually happen to all these animals? The hyena at the camp fence, monkeys at Nkulu, eventually the crocodile in your photo? Eventually, they all get taken out.

I know well they do not really become dependent on being fed but the do become accustomed to it and will always go for the easier opportunity of getting food..... we know the drill from there.....

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 9:42 pm 

When we were in KTP in May, there was a very old Jackal that was begging at Dikbaardskolk. I think he resorted to begging from people at the picnic site, not because it was easier than hunting, but because he is probably struggling to hunt at his age.

But if he is still hungry at the end of the day, he will probably go out and hunt again.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 8:49 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Forumite of the Year & Travel Tale of the Year, Other Parks (2013)
what about this one

at Lake Panic (february 2008)
hit the water.. to attract the attention... for some food... and received something for sure...she/he is so cute :twisted:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 4:05 pm 

i had a experience at a picnic site. the vervets stole the bread off our table and when i stood up to chase them away the alpha man(i think) started growling at me and showing me his teeth.

this was a vervet and i'm a human, and i'm 6 foot. this little monkey wasn't scared of me, just sat in the tree next to our table and everytime i looked at him he'd growl.

scary sheet.

as rayb quote under his posts say..." the smaller the monkey the more likely he looks to kill you"

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 4:14 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Birder of the Year (2013)
At which picnic spot was this?

That monkey has lost its fear for humans and the only thing that will cure it is a lead pill.

Follow me as I bird on Twitter @wildtuinman

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 4:16 pm 

not SANParks

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 4:53 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
nice thanks a lot :D
delete this one and post a new one under caracal :wink: please

Post subject: Re: Feeding Animals
Unread postPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 6:47 pm 

I was in Mupani in august, we were bbqing and had just started eating our delicious sausages when a serval appeard 2 meters from the table! It didn't run away from us. It sniffed around the bbq and then walked to our neighbour who chased it away! these are the photo's:

The photo's are bad beacause it was dark so I couldn't see it on the digital camera so I had to guess where it was. I could have looked through the lens but I forget about that in the excitement...

Unread postPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 7:17 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Funniest/Best Forumite Name (2013)
FAC Member (2012)
SERVAL!!! IN MOPANI!!! :big_eyes:

Do you realize what a good sighting this is michaelpr. :dance: It is the first serval sighting I have read about on the forum inside any camp.

I have only seen 5 in Kruger in about 20 visits, and 2 were glimpses. I have seen hundreds of lion, many wild dog, a score or more leopards and cheetah, but only 5 serval.

Now one comes to dinner! Great sighting. Thanks for sharong the pics. :mrgreen:

I must revise my opinion of Mopani. :hmz:

Unread postPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 7:29 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Ho ! super nice :dance:
a serval so near :mrgreen:
but... once... somebody has certainely give something..... :twisted:

Unread postPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 7:30 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

WoW!! And Welcome, michaelpr :D

Do you remember which chalet you had at Mopani? I will be there for two nights in October and would love to get so lucky :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

31 Oct-1 Nov Pafuri River Camp
2-15 Nov KNP: Punda Maria, Sirheni, Olifants, Tamboti, Skukuza
16-22 Nov Cape Town
23 Nov-20 Jan Darling

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 108 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next