Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 33 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Battle at Kruger - YouTube Video
Unread postPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 12:47 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

You guys have to see this, it is a bit long but great. It is not my footage but rather a clip I came across, so if the camera person see's this, sorry but everyone should see it.
Have a look this

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 2:58 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Amazing, can you imagine watching this live!!!! Well done whoever took this must have had major adrenalin rush.. :D

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 3:46 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Simply stunning!!!!!!! Any ideas where this taken?

Post subject: Battle at Kruger
Unread postPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 7:16 pm 
Amazing, Snoobab!

It was at Transport Dam between Pretoriuskop and Skukuza. (You can see the windmill peeking out behind the dam wall.)

I was reasonably impressed with the jeep-jockey's humility and comments, but only reasonably. Let's leave that for another thread...

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 8:05 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

I had a look at the video again, and agree with Richprins, definately at Transport Dam, which is on the H1-1 tar road between Pkop and Skukuza

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 8:14 am 

Thanks Mgoddard.

I also thought perhaps Transport Dam, but thought there was too much water in the dam in the video to be Transport Dam, as I have never seen that much water in the Transport Dam. Guess that I probably haven't been there when it is full.

Linda

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 8:29 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Location: South Africa, Mpumalanga, Middelburg....289km from KNP!!!
The windmill in the background should give us an idea where the dam is. :hmz:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 12:04 pm 

brillant footage, how lucky to witness that :mrgreen: I looked at the video a few times I also think its Transport dam. Have had some good sightings there myself

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 4:49 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
If you watch carefully, the croc might well have saved the young buffs life.
The lions seem so focused on smothering the calf that they do not attack the vital organs.
The croc comes and the focus is on winning the animal back. Again, vital organs are protected.
Once the calf is back with the lions, they seem very focused again on smothering.
Notice how most lions are around the calf's face.
It seems like a lifetime to us, but maybe there was just enough time for the calf to escape mortal injury.

I will never look at a Buffalo in the same way again. :shock:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 8:48 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Awsome!

It seemed to me that in the tug between the crocs and lions, something was torn off the little calf, I hope it was the tail!

Nature can be so cruel yet it knows no malice.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 10:47 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
Marsupial Wolf, I have looked again and again to see what damage the croc might have done.
I think what we are seeing is an illusion due to the crocs tail and the water.
The little buff was amazingly mobile when moving back to the herd. I did not see any sign of limping.
The croc did have the hind quarter at one point. He tried to get a better grip, but the side of the animal must have been too bulky to hold.
My concern would be later infection. Both Lion and crocs have dirty, dirty mouths and the chance of a Staph infection would be the biggest danger if no vital organs have been damaged.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 8:52 pm 

I didn't mind the narration, actually. It was so human and funny! Even though I've been a wildlife ecologist for 10 years now...I am not yet at the point where I always coolly watch nature unfold without reaction, comment, or emotion :wink:

Anyway, I particularly like how the sentiment changes from "Booo lions!" to "Booo alligators, go lions!" to "Yay buffalo!" to "Run, lions!" Oh wait, was that just me? :tongue:

Post subject: Re: transport dam
Unread postPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 9:12 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

alan bluehole wrote:
where is the transport dam? What is the nearest camp?

22 Km south-west of Skukuza camp, alan.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 11:49 pm 

@ Meandering mouse: Think you´re right. Watched 2 scenes again and again:
1. The moment the croc loses the buff, it bites the left hind leg.
2. The moment the buff escapes to the herd, you clearly can see both hind legs for a second. Not limping.

@mja: something near it happend to me: watched the video 1st time very late at home and became more n more excited til I finally lost control and started shouting "wow! wow! not possible" and other stupid things. The landlord (living in the flat next to me) rang at the door and asked what happened.... embarrasing :redface:
I said I watch the football match :whistle:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 10:16 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Funniest/Best Forumite Name (2013)
Transport Dam is just off the tar road between Pkop and Skukuza.
Down the years the road to the dam has been quite productive for me. In 1980 we saw a cheetah on the road. I switched off the engine and freewheeled, and we had him in front of the car walking for a few minutes. We regularly see fish eagles, saddle billed storks, waterbuck and impala. In 1995 we saw a wild dog pack take down an impala there and the whole lot was filmed by 50/50 and we saw it on telly about 9 months later.

Back to buffs & lions. In 2001 I did my first BB tribal invasion of Kruger. The night before we arrived at Biyamiti, a giraffe died just off the road 1km from camp. It was found by a pride of about 13 lions. First sighting of everybody's day was lion! The day before we were to leave, 3 families went on a convoyed drive together. We turned into Biyamiti road at 18h00, closing time with 4 km to go :redface: My first time late ever. At the place of the carcass the road was full of buffalo. They looked a bit agitated and would not let us through. PTL!! I rang the camp and told them of our plight. A few minutes later, headlights appeared on the far side of the herd. A male lion sneaked around our car. Suddenly all hell broke loose and the dust flew as a bunch of lions isolated a big buff and the road was full of lions. Next minute the heavies charged in and the lions ran off like scared kittens and the road was full of buffs. This backwards and forwards lasted an hour, before the buffs turned and went back down into the riverbed. We then were able to pass, and saw the whole of the camp staff and the nightriders on the far side. The only other forumite to witness this, AFAIK, is Stephen Nel, former manager of Biyamiti, now at BnD.

Later that night, he came round to our bungalow where a crowd had gathered and in front of my charges told me. 'BB you know there is a fine for being late' to the rising cheers, 'But under the circumstances, I am prepared to waive it'. We have been good but intermittent friends ever since.

Last edited by Bush Baptist on Sat May 26, 2007 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.