Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 71 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 2:59 pm 

Just saw the video for the first time -- I can only dream that I see something close to that someday.

I happened to be watching it at work and was trying to keep quiet since my boss had just appeared in the hallway just outside my office. And I was doing so good until the buff tossed the lion -- don't exactly know what I said/yelled out, but he stuck his head in and asked what I was up to -- oops :hmz: . Will have to wait and see if the SANParks weblink gets blocked. But I'm hoping that since this is an educational website will save me :wink:

Watching that lion get tossed about reminds me of a lion sighting I saw elsewhere. The rangers knew the pride and when we saw it, it was less one lion. Come to find out, the night before they had taken down a buff and apparently this lion was fatally wounded with severe internal injuries. Makes me wonder what happened to the lion in this video, and also how long the calf lived before succombing to complications (which I have to assume there must have been).

mja

Post subject: transport dam
Unread postPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 7:02 pm 

Not that there's a chance I'll get to see anything like this, but still, I wonder: where is the transport dam? What is the nearest camp?

Amazing video, and no offense to the voices in it, but I'm glad I'll be on a self-drive, so I can do my own narration.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 8:52 pm 

I didn't mind the narration, actually. It was so human and funny! Even though I've been a wildlife ecologist for 10 years now...I am not yet at the point where I always coolly watch nature unfold without reaction, comment, or emotion :wink:

Anyway, I particularly like how the sentiment changes from "Booo lions!" to "Booo alligators, go lions!" to "Yay buffalo!" to "Run, lions!" Oh wait, was that just me? :tongue:

Post subject: Re: transport dam
Unread postPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 9:12 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

alan bluehole wrote:
where is the transport dam? What is the nearest camp?

22 Km south-west of Skukuza camp, alan.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 10:42 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Absolutely amazing :shock:

I ran it in the office a couple of days ago and ended up having to rerun it twice as everybody wanted to know what the fuss was about then wanted to watch it themselves :roll:

I'll get them all converted yet (apart from our Saffie pilot who arrived fully converted) :D

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 11:49 pm 

@ Meandering mouse: Think you´re right. Watched 2 scenes again and again:
1. The moment the croc loses the buff, it bites the left hind leg.
2. The moment the buff escapes to the herd, you clearly can see both hind legs for a second. Not limping.

@mja: something near it happend to me: watched the video 1st time very late at home and became more n more excited til I finally lost control and started shouting "wow! wow! not possible" and other stupid things. The landlord (living in the flat next to me) rang at the door and asked what happened.... embarrasing :redface:
I said I watch the football match :whistle:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 6:51 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
This would deserve a viewing on 50/50.
I would love to see the scene on a bigger screen with some sharpening.

I think it was Skillie who said, her hands would have been shaking so much that she would have had problems with the camera.
I agree there. My adrenalin would have passed the ceiling.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 10:16 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Funniest/Best Forumite Name (2013)
FAC Member (2012)
Transport Dam is just off the tar road between Pkop and Skukuza.
Down the years the road to the dam has been quite productive for me. In 1980 we saw a cheetah on the road. I switched off the engine and freewheeled, and we had him in front of the car walking for a few minutes. We regularly see fish eagles, saddle billed storks, waterbuck and impala. In 1995 we saw a wild dog pack take down an impala there and the whole lot was filmed by 50/50 and we saw it on telly about 9 months later.

Back to buffs & lions. In 2001 I did my first BB tribal invasion of Kruger. The night before we arrived at Biyamiti, a giraffe died just off the road 1km from camp. It was found by a pride of about 13 lions. First sighting of everybody's day was lion! The day before we were to leave, 3 families went on a convoyed drive together. We turned into Biyamiti road at 18h00, closing time with 4 km to go :redface: My first time late ever. At the place of the carcass the road was full of buffalo. They looked a bit agitated and would not let us through. PTL!! I rang the camp and told them of our plight. A few minutes later, headlights appeared on the far side of the herd. A male lion sneaked around our car. Suddenly all hell broke loose and the dust flew as a bunch of lions isolated a big buff and the road was full of lions. Next minute the heavies charged in and the lions ran off like scared kittens and the road was full of buffs. This backwards and forwards lasted an hour, before the buffs turned and went back down into the riverbed. We then were able to pass, and saw the whole of the camp staff and the nightriders on the far side. The only other forumite to witness this, AFAIK, is Stephen Nel, former manager of Biyamiti, now at BnD.

Later that night, he came round to our bungalow where a crowd had gathered and in front of my charges told me. 'BB you know there is a fine for being late' to the rising cheers, 'But under the circumstances, I am prepared to waive it'. We have been good but intermittent friends ever since.

Last edited by Bush Baptist on Sat May 26, 2007 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 4:00 pm 

One watched that video for an hour straight ! Didnt those Buffalo make a tremendously frightening noise as they chased away their harassers ? Hurrah for the Buffs ! Strangely , I had a craving for biltong when watching it and the song 'Wild Thing , You Make My Heart Sing' filled my head ? Anyone else have that extraordinary feeling ??

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 5:31 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

In case anyone is interested: I have the .mpeg version of this clip, which means that you can save to your HD and watch it offline in your regular media player.
Please note that email is not an option because of file-size (26 MBs) but we can set up a alternative method of transfer. So PM me if you want it.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 10:56 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Was filmed by an american family Sept 2004 at Transport Dam. The South African male voice heard on the video is a guide from one of the safari company's. This has been viewed over 6 million times already!! Pity the person who filmed it did not send it into 50/50.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 5:47 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
I am utterly amazed that he kept his composure and managed such a good overview of the situation. I know that in a similar situation my hands would have been shaking too much to take anything.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 12:30 pm 

Incredible stuff. Just shows you how tough a buffalo can be. Never underestimate them! In some reserves, where lions have never encountered buffalo before, they take quite some time learning how to hunt the giant bovines.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 4:03 pm 

This video clip is getting some great mileage...
Last night it was shown as part of one of America's national news broadcasts -- ABC's World News Tonight.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 4:23 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi mja

It was on national radio this morning as well (can you believe they asked if it was a fake :shock: ), and KNPspokesman assisted ABC with their efforts for an interview with the guide who's voice is on the tape...

I must say it's fascinating-I long for the day bandwidth is not such a problem so that more South Africans and SANParks staff can view it...

Dianne

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 71 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next