[ 26 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: Large spotted Genet
Unread postPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 9:50 am 

We were in # 51, it was really lovely. :D

Unread postPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 5:15 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

We stayed in Hut 89 or 90 (old age :wall: ) at Berg en Dal and every night a genet would come round the corner as we were braaing and lie down on the stoep like a domestic cat. Just stayed and watched us for about a hour each time - it was an awesome experience. :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 5:58 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Great pics elsa! :thumbs_up: :clap:

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit." Aristotle

Unread postPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 9:18 pm 

We had this little visitor at the Punda Maria communal braai area in Feb this year.

I promise we didn't feed it but it seemed to be wanted some titbits! :(

Then went and sat on the wall and watched us.

Post subject: Re: Small cats
Unread postPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 7:33 am 
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

FAC Member (2012)
This little Genet came to visit us at Punda Maria. He thought he would like to join us for our braai.
Of course we didn't let him.

Last night we saw a SERVAL near the restaurant at Skukuza!!
Sadly no picture.

Post subject: Re: Small cats
Unread postPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 1:22 am 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Sorry but never saw a caracal, serval or AWC in Kruger - :cry: but one day my day will come :thumbs_up:

At least I can show you a picture of our dinner guest we had last year and also this year at Berg-en-Dal restcamp

Hopefully we will meet it again next year :dance:

Unread postPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 2:52 pm 

It is with a heavy heart that I am reporting the death of our resident Large Spotted Genet. It first made its presence known in 2008 and, was killed by a Gymnogene right here in our garden in Amanzimtoti.

My SO saw the raptor pecking at something in one of our large trees and the next minute the carcass tumbled from the branch into some shrubs below. The Gymnogene tried to locate his kill, but by that time our German Shepherds figured something is up and started barking, perhaps thinking it was monkeys jumping around in the shrubs. After a few minutes the Gymnogene gave it up as a bad job and flew away. In the end, it was up to Yours Truly to locate the carcass but took a few photos before disposing of it.

This whole episode has left me with quite a few questions, like is there perhaps another Genet in the area? This is, after all, a built up area. We do, however, attract wildlife by planting indigenous and encourage our neighbours to follow suit as well. The bird books say Gymnogenes do catch small mammals - but one would think only if they are plentiful and running all over the show - not as secretive as a Genet. I suppose that if the local domestic cats knew about the marauding Gymnogene, they would no doubt remain indoors!

I SAY NO TO HOTEL DEVELOPMENTS IN KRUGER NATIONAL PARK!

Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 3:54 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

We had a lovely sighting of a LS-Genet in Natures Valey (Garden Route NP) over the weeklend.

We saw them there before, but I thought it was the Small spotted Genet. After going back to earlier photos, I realized that it also was a Large Spotted Genet.

My question, do you get both in the same area and if so, can't they interbreed?

Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 3:33 pm 

Yes Genets have just alittle fear of humans. In some Areas they are indeed a big Issue, because they are killing life stock. On the other hand they will also kill mices which will take the snakes away. In some Areas they are domesticated as Hare and Mice hunters. They are easily domesticated. They like the enviroment of a garden, as long as much trees occur.

Yes in Kruger living at least 2 different species. Large and small spotted Genet. According to Stuart Mills book Mamals of Africa there might be a third speci. I don´t think if they can inter breed or not. otherwise Cross overs would be rekorded. I Don´t know any rekords of an Interbreed Genet. But as I said I´m not sure.

To say it have a white or a black Tip is a quite easy rule, according to Start Mills again, this rule is not correckt. esspecially in Kruger does the Tip of the tails vary.

Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 5:22 pm 
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

FAC Member (2012)

Saw this little fellow at Punda Maria.
He joined us for our evening braai, but was very sad when we didn't feed him!!! :rtm:

Post subject: Re: Mammal ID Needed?
Unread postPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 9:11 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

I took this photo during my recent visit in Punda Maria (Safari Tent No 7). A few years ago, one would positively identify it as the Large-spotted Genet (the black tip of the tail used to be the "give away"). Lately "A Guide to the Mammals of Southern Africa - Burger Cillie" mentions that this species is now divided into two species - the mentioned "Large-spotted Genet" (Genetta tigrina) and the "Rusty-spotted Genet" (Genetta maculata). The mentioned book also shows a distribution map for the two species. And according to this map it appears that the Rusty-spotted Genet is the one to be found in Kruger (together with the Small-spotted Genet which is much more wide-spread through Southern Africa. But the one we saw in Punda (a total of 4) looks more like the Large-spotted Genet to me. Can somebody maybe give clarity on this?