Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 29 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Inter-action between species
Unread postPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 6:37 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Sighting of the Year - Birds (2013)
Award: Birder of the Year (2012)
During our trip to Kruger at the end of September we shared in a mini-drama underneath the bridge over the Olifants River. A herd of female ellies with young calves were browsing in the thick vegetation. So too was a lone buffalo bull, blind in the left eye, it probably did not notice the elephant herd closing up on it until the last moment. Then like a pinball it was shunted around until it eventually found an escape route. I would’ve soiled myself too, poor thing! Considering he got away with nothing more than a soiled rump this buffalo certainly was lucky.

As I had been on the bridge outside my car taking snaps of birds in the river bed, I was ready to shoot a series of shots of the commotion.

Pix 1 introduces us to the buffalo - note the blue glaze of the left eye.

Pix 2 shows the ellies totally at ease. In Pix 3 one can see the first alarm being raised by the cow closest the the buffalo. In Pix 4 and 5 the buffalo is trying to find escape and in 6 he virtually collides with a young cow and calf hidden in the reeds. Pix 7 - he has run the gauntlet successfully. Pix 8 - the big fellow needs to sit down in the stream to git rid of the evidence of a HUGE fright!

{Resized by BGS}

The incident made me think that there must be many such interesting inter-specie stories to relate. Let's see what you forumites can dish up...

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 1:07 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Very interesting sequence, Johan! I would not have expected elephant to react so strongly to a buff. :shock:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 3:24 pm 

Thanks for posting such a fascinating series of pics Johan. :D
Just goes to show how super protective Elephants cows are when they have calves in the herd and will not tolerate any intruision, even from a lone one-eyed Buffalo bull! :shock:

Kruger - May 24th - June 6th 2014.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 9:42 am 
One of our most interesting “interaction sightings” was between a warthog and a black-backed jackal.
Several years ago, we regularly found jackals on the open piece of veld near Orpen, where the road turns of towards Tamboti and Maroela….haven’t seen them there during recent visits, and in our opinion, BBJ are quite scares nowadays compare to the past. :?
On this day a warthog was shovelling around in the soil and a young BBJ was sitting right behind it. As the warthog moved to another spot, the BBJ went to sniff at the spot the warthog left. He then followed the warthog and patiently waited to get his chance to again inspect the freshly uncovered soil. The jackal that followed him around not at all bothered the warthog.
This was the first and only time we saw this behaviour…..unfortunately only have bad quality video of this interaction. :roll:

As for elephants: A bull at Mestel dam gave us a good laugh while he was chasing every single Goose he saw…he was rushing up and down the shore of the dam, waving the birds away with his trunk. :lol:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 11:11 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
This is exactly the type of story I thought we might get with this thread. Great stuff Jumbo! Thanks for sharing. :D

Your reference to warthogs jogged my memory a bit :idea: to a time somewhere in the south of KNP when we just sat watching a female WH with some youngsters feeding (most often down on their knees to get to the very short new grass). We did notice a very agitated Blacksmith lapwing close by, but it was not until the lapwing started standing up tall and shielding a fixed spot on the ground by opening her wings to the sides that we realised she was protecting her nest from the grazers. That brave little bird wouldn't budge and when the WH got to within a metre away her shrill alarm called in reinforcements and her mate started to swoop threateningly close to the WHs' heads. The two managed to divert the feeding direction of the WHs and saved their nest.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 10:31 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Funniest/Best Forumite Name (2013)
FAC Member (2012)
Funny, Jumbo, that corner is the only place in Kruger that I see jackal nowadays. They must all have done a Jannie - got a transfer to Kgalagadi.
I also saw a crowned plover atacking a jackal at thet corner a few years ago. It dive bombed a few times before the jackal moved off.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 8:46 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
FAC Member (2012)
Elephants are not good at sharing.

We saw 2 buffs at Nshawu lying in the mud and some eles chased them off before getting in themselves.

{Resized by BGS}

Photos taken by my dad (83).

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 8:16 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
I agree that ellies in general are prone to own the patch and immediate surrounds while they around, and they make sure all and sundry knows to stay clear!

Quite often we have sat at a waterhole watching all combonations of animals share the water or mudbath. As soon as an elephant arrives the scene is immediately cleared for the ellies' exclusive use. Only once they have left the other animals will return in dips and drabs. When water is scarce some animals will hang on until the last minute before scattering - but they always have to give way. I feel sorry for the "lesser animals" at such times because the ellies, especially when in a herd, can really trash a waterhole in no time at all by turning the waterhole into a permanent mud bath.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 4:41 pm 

Several years back now, my family was driving along the tar from Lower Sabie to Croc Bridge when we encountered an uneasy truce between wild dogs and hyenas.

Individuals from both packs were milling about and some were nursing nasty gashes so I can only imagine what had been going on earlier. The sun was setting and the animals were watching each other, skulking in the tall grass and thickets so it was hard to get any pictures. It was obvious that things were not over, neither side was backing down and the mood was very tense.

Unfortunately we weren't able to hang around as we had to get to the gate before closing (isn't that always the way!? :roll: ).

I've always wondered what the outcome was.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 9:45 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

on a rainy day,near Skukuza,H4-1,July 2007

pre match conference

round no.1

round no.2

not worth it!darn that hornbills a winner
{Resized by BGS}

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 1:02 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
FAC Member (2012)
After your first trip or 2 when you rush around looking for the big 5, you 'mature' as a Krugerite, and want a little bit more for your money.
One thing that keeps me going back is exactly the title of the thread. We can see all the animals in the zoo, but interaction between them is special.
Like the white rhino that kept chasing the martial eagle away from the water at Duke waterhole.
Like the 4 fish eagles fighting over a fish one had caught.
LIke the buff and ele that bumped into each other in front of Skukuza at night and both got a huge fright.
Like the cheetah that killed an impala and within a few minutes 4 hyena came and took the kill.

I could go on and on, and I am sure many others could also. It is the anticipation of some sort of interaction that drags me back again and again.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 8:17 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Spot on BB! Some of my all-time favourite sightings include:
- Leopard with an impala kill in a tree, and a hyena on the ground trying desperately to get in on the action
- A black-backed jackal catching doves at a waterhole in KTP
- Owls being mobbed by other birds
- Watching lions hunt in Kruger. I've never seen a successful hunt, but the even the unsuccessful ones are fascinating
- Hippos fighting / impalas fencing in the rutting season
- A black eagle taking a dassie right in front of us at Augrabies
- Watching otters play in the water in TMNP

A baboon or monkey troupe can provide hours of enjoyment, as can elephants playing at a waterhole (Addo is the best SANPark to watch that).

On my last trip, my favourite sighting was a tiny zebra foal which was dancing, prancing and bubbling with youthful curiosity. 8)

I could go on for longer, but I'll stop now.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 4:59 pm 

Myself & SO were crying from laughter on this one. :lol: :lol:
There were 3 ostrich browsing an open plain just up the road from the Ntandanyathi hide on the S28, on the plain were crowned plovers aswell. The ostrich obviously got too close to their nests and the 2 plovers took off. As they do when protecting nests, they started taking dives at these ostrich. You should have seen the way 2 of the ostrich were running around with wings all over the place :lol: :lol:
At the end of the day the 3rd ostrich got what it was looking for and left us in tears of laughter :lol:

The Kruger Park..a place that is close at heart

Post subject: Non-interaction between species
Unread postPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 7:58 pm 
Saw this leopard in tree on the Croc River road, and an ellie came to browse. What an anticlimax!

Nothing happened, with them totally ignoring each other!

{Resized by BGS}

Sorry for poor scan. You'll have to look closely to see the leopard!

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 10:26 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Transport Dam,Oct 2007
{Resized by BGS}

inquisitive Hyena,please go away...... :wink: