View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 29 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 1:18 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger
Award: Video of the Year (2013)
Inter-action between Lion and Elephant

Last edited by Nico on Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 7:41 pm 

about six weeks ago we spotted two sub adult cheetah in KGA, on the road to Nossob, in the riverbed, right after the serpentines are finished...they were quite far away but I have good lenses on my cameras and since then was able to watch the video sequence on my TV...anyway, the cheetah seemed very unorganised...walking, stopping, looking, lying down...until we realised there was a leopard in the tree, right where the cheetah seemingly wanted to cross the riverbed...the three were watching each other carefully...it took a few minutes until the cheetah decided to chose a different spot to get past that leopard...and only after they had disappeared came the leopard down the tree

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 9:12 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Forumite of the Year & Travel Tale of the Year, Other Parks (2013)
interaction between this two

and

hippos said : too much bufalos in our territory (about 400-600) :shock:
{Resized by BGS}

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 7:14 pm 

This past weekend i was lucky to see my first two Cape clawless otters. I spotted them on the wier in the Sabie River at the last section it can be viewed from the tar road just before the S28 turn-off. I first noticed two crocodiles on the bank that looked very agitated. On a closer inspection i could see one of the otters was trying to bite or do something to irritate the croc. The croc was trying to grab the otter but it was too fast for it. The otters proceeded onto the concrete weir and over the other side. I think this was a territorial interaction, it was great to witness the courage of the brave otter. Unfortunatley it was a bit too far for photos. Has anyone else seen otters in the Park, as i think this sighting is very rare?

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 9:40 pm 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Hello Ice, did this happen on the 2nd May? at about 8.30 - just as one enters the Ouab river bed from TR?

We saw a similar siting that morning - the leopard attacked the one cheetah, and the second cheetah came to help. After a general run-around the cheetah beat a retreat up the ridge with the leopard following The cheetah came back into the river, followed by the leopard who jumped into the tree. Cheetah watched for a long time before walking up the river and crossing. The one cheetah had a radio collar.

Post subject: Re: Inter-action between species
Unread postPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 6:58 am 

Sometimes humans are in on the action as well!!! It was around 9 o clock one evening that I heard owls outside my home in a huge garden area in Grahamstown . Two Eagle Owls were courting each other and a third was sitting a little way away , looking ever so bek-af , but showing a lot of interrest (kind of perverted in a way , but ja that's animals for you , head bobbing , jumping up and down and every time when the two lovers flew higher up in the garden , he would follow ) OK , So here I am watching this great display , these two owls jump into the air , and gives like High5's with their wings and its all too cool - But long story short , a while later this lonely owl starts looking my way !!! Jisliaak ,vermetelheid , and starts moving closer to me!!! Well , the love birds flew of , and I started walking back home , and now you know what happens next - this bird follows me, in a funny hop . skip and jump way!!! All the way back to the backdoor of the house!!!!
Not wanting to dissapoint the suitor to much , fortunatly I had some Frozen pigeons in the old minus 40 fridge (an old nunnery in town had problems with thousands of the birds nesting and making a mess all over their area and my bosses at the time had tasked me to shoot them) so the owl got a lekker treat of frozen pigeon - next morning only a few feathers were blowing around in the little coutyard area!!!!

Unread postPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 7:36 am 

FAC Member (2012)
Good story Blougansie! :lol: :lol:

Unread postPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 11:17 am 

After a rainy night in October, I took at group of my students for an early morning game drive. Avoiding the elephant dung, I noticed a dung beetle just starting the roll its ball. I reversed and pulled along side the dung to explain to my students what this was all about. We watched this beetle roll and roll who somehow managed to find his girlfriend which inspired us to discuss further the breeding patterns. After 3/4hr of watching this pair the male decided to push his ball 'with mate aboard' up a small but steep hill. The students were wishing them to get up there, as the ball rolled backwards it seemed more than forward. We had all got quite emotionally attached to this pair and respected the hard work that he had been put into preserving its species. We had been watching the pair for over an hour when the beetle had almost reached the top. A scorpion came out from a hole in the ground and stung the male, the male was getting weaker and the ball with the girlfriend rolled back down the hill onto the road and we were absolutely devastated. Evidently, this species of scorpion was a very rare sighting. We had started the day looking for the big mammals and had an amazing experience with the little ones.

Unread postPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 12:27 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger
Award: Video of the Year (2013)
Near Lower Sabie on the S28, we saw an inter action between Wild dogs and three male Lions and we were standing in the middle. The Wild dogs were barking to the Lions and the Lions kept an eye on them. There was a lot of tense and after a while the Wild dogs disappeared into the bush. 8)

Unread postPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 12:55 pm 

Amazing Nico :clap:

Unread postPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 1:25 pm 

Thanks Nico,

really appreciated that you always share your brilliant videos with us :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 12:42 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Lovely video :clap: thanks for sharing - super quality :clap:

Unread postPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 7:21 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Just came across this thread. Excellent video, Nico. :clap: :clap: :clap:

Unread postPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 3:31 pm 

Hi Nico,

Great Video!!!!!

Did you realise that one of the LIons were heavy injured? the younger male Lion had onyl one eye, the other one was gone, it must be very fresh because you still see the blood.

Best Regards