SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 112 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
 Post subject: Hippo
Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 12:54 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Birder of the Year (2013)
As a matter of fact I was charged twice by hippo. All I can tell you was that the story "never get in between a hippo and water" is true. We drove on the "highway" in May 2003 about 20km north of Lower Sabie. It was about 9:00 in the morning. We were heading to Lower Sabie.

We stopped to look at a hippo in the road about 100m infront of us. All of a sudden another hippo came bursting out of the thickets on the right hand side of the road. It bulldozed it's way past us towards the Sabie river with such a speed that I only realized after what felt like 10mins later that it was a hippo. It passed by us a mere 10m.

All I can tell you is that it moves so quickly with that bulk that it seems impossible. It took some bushes with it which was lying all over the road infront of us. We were just fortunate that we were not 10m onwards as I would not know what the impact might have done to us. I once read that people on their way from Nelspruit hit a hippo on the N4 highway with a 4x4. The impact was so great that it burst coke can in the cooler box.

That particular road should be carefully travelled in winter months when it is not to hot for hippo to take back to the water after their evening feeding frenzy which could take them several km's away from water.

The other story will remain silent for now.

I was eargerly looking around for a weeping wattle bush nearby on both occasions.

Follow me as I bird on Twitter @wildtuinman

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 1:10 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

LOL!!! Poor weeping wattle....

I agree with what you say. Once (in the Pilansberg though) we were driving along innocently in the early morning. A hippo returning from the night's grazing to his dam suddenly charged across the road (sand) and kept going. I'm not joking when I say that my Dad tried to get to the dam in time for us to see him enter the water, and was going at least 40Km/h. We didn't have a chance, he beat us by far, despite us not having to take a far more roundabout route than he did.

Incredible the power of that bulk with a little speed :shock:

BTW, if that's true about the cooler box, and that was the worst that happened, they were very lucky. I remember when I was working in Hoedspruit a family came across a hippo on the Jonkmanspruit/Swadini road at night. They hit it and the impact killed the family. The hippo also had to be tracked and put out of his misery :cry: . Those hippo warning signs on the side of the road should never be ignored.

Post subject: Hippo experiences
Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 8:46 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

I had one (1995) from water though- was canoeing Fish river (Double Drift GR, E Cape,recent reintroduction), and was sidling along reeded fringe to birdwatch a bit & reeds suddenly parted and hippo stormed at us & lucky for us it dipped beneth the front end of canoe and arose in middle of waters- the canoe merely tipped abit, though our hearts and bowels were more turbulent...

Yes, I needed weeping wattle leaves too.

wj

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 11:50 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Well, I'm so fortune not to have met a hippo that way.
I can tell you about those guys in Zambia:
Last june I was with some friends in Zambia at Kabula Lodge.
We had a rubberduck (thats the way you pronaunce it!) and went of fishing in the Zambezi every day. Some SA-tourist were not so lucky to have their one boat so they hired a boat and guide form the lodge.
At one point they were trolling close to the riverbank and the guide was watching the fishinglines very carfully. At that moment something hit their (polyester) boat. The guide thought that he run over a logg. At the time he realised what was going on the hippo get hold of the side of the boat and startet pulling the boat down.
The hippo was trying to tip over the boat, and if that happens you know how the story will end. Not nice :x :? :shock:
They were lucky that the guide hit the petrol and just before tipping over they could propell themselfs out of "the jaws of dead".
When they came back they were looking like gohsts even the Zambian guide!!!!! :!: :!:
Unfortunately there were no weeping wattles around. They could have used a whole forest of tham.

From that time we even had eyes on our backs. :shock:

grtz jaapvd.

Unread postPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 4:31 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

I watched a really interesting program on Hippo's today. It showed the hippo's eating a Zebra which was taken from a crocodile. The hippo bite the crocodile twice to convince him to move off. Really very interesting stuff. Has anyone seem this behaviour?

Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 4:39 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

:shock: I thought hippos were grazers !

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 4:49 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

I thought so too, but it would appear that is not the truth. The program claimed they did not do it often, but the hippo certainly looked like he was enjoying it.

Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 6:51 am 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

I'm not opening a recent sightings thread ... for certain reasons, but I just wanted to share this with some of you.

Grazing Hippo ... in broad daylight ... with a calf .... :lol:

Post subject: Re: Hippo
Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 5:02 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Jock wrote:
I watched a really interesting program on Hippo's today. It showed the hippo's eating a Zebra which was taken from a crocodile. The hippo bite the crocodile twice to convince him to move off. Really very interesting stuff. Has anyone seem this behaviour?

I saw a hippo doc (Hippo Beach) last night that showed similar behaviour, only what they nicked from the crocs was a buffalo. It was new behavious to me, and apparently uncommon but not unknown. Also interesting how much time hippo actually spend out of water.

@W@H: great pix, but perhaps not so unusual as we think.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 11:00 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

During my trip in June we saw hippos out of the water at almost every dam or river during our drives. From Punda all the way down south to Croc Bridge.
Found it strange at the time, can't remember ever seeing so many hippos out of the water. But, then again, can't remember going to the Park that often in winter. Maybe that has got something to do with it. Air temperature maybe not so high that they need to cool in the water all the time :?:

Latest lifers from Kruger NP:
Black Coucal Centropus grillii Swartvleiloerie
Flappet Lark Mirafra rufocinnamomea Laeveldklappertjie

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 11:07 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Birder of the Year (2013)
I visited the Park mostly in winter times and for me it is no surprise. So I agree with you Johann.

Follow me as I bird on Twitter @wildtuinman

Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 5:21 pm 

It is not unusual at all for hippo to come out of the water during the day as our chalet at Ngwenya is close to the hippo pool in the Crocodile River and there were upwards of 15 resident hippo living there who would all get out of the water at about midday (this being June, not sure if they do this all year) and lie sunbathing in a huge mass for a good few hours before returning to the pool. They would do this every day.

Post subject: Re: Hippo
Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 6:45 pm 
wildtuinman wrote:
As a matter of fact I was charged twice by hippo. All I can tell you was that the story "never get in between a hippo and water" is true. We drove on the "highway" in May 2003 about 20km north of Lower Sabie. It was about 9:00 in the morning. We were heading to Lower Sabie.

We stopped to look at a hippo in the road about 100m infront of us. All of a sudden another hippo came bursting out of the thickets on the right hand side of the road. It bulldozed it's way past us towards the Sabie river with such a speed that I only realized after what felt like 10mins later that it was a hippo. It passed by us a mere 10m.

WTM, we almost had the same experience this past weekend just north of the Sunset dam at Lower Sabie in the middle of the day
Luckily I was driving below the speed limit and the ABS was working. A hippo charged out of the thick vegetation next to the road at full speed cant say how close it was except VERY close. There was no way for us to see him coming and he was over the road in seconds.
He was full of fresh wounds obviously been fighting.
This was the closest I have ever been to hitting an animal. If we were travelling 50km/h we would have collided with him.
Afterwards we first had to stop to calm the rubber legs.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 5:44 pm 

A couple of years ago while staying at Olifants Camp we saw how a hippo had attacked and put the big night drive vehicle out of commission.

The whole front of the vehicle, bull bar and all had been bent so badly that it had to be towed into camp that night.

Thankfully we were not on that night drive. :shock:

I hate to think what a fully grown Hippo could do to an average sedan.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 8:27 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Not sure what its carrying capacity is , but a major drought could see them in big trouble .

With the ever rising external pressure and water usage on the rivers outside of the park ,and rivers such as the olifants going dry due to that (Which never used to happen) , I would consider the hippos habitat as being threatened .

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 112 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next