Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 80 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 9:26 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

In the south the birthrate has actually dropped to below the deathrate.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 9:31 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

From todays IOL

Kruger Park hit by TB outbreak

September 13 2006 at 07:13AM

The Kruger National Park is suffering an outbreak of bovine tuberculosis, SABC news reported on Wednesday.

Its website said blood samples taken from buffalo near the Limpopo river confirmed the disease had spread around the entire park.

Initially, only buffalo were thought to be infected but other animals, including lions and leopards, were also diagnosed with the disease.

Hyenas, warthog, kudu, bushbuck and impala were reported to be infected as well.

It was believed bovine TB was introduced to the Kruger Park following contact between domestic cattle and buffalo in 1960.

The disease was thought to take 30 years to reach the northern areas of the park, but three years later, it had already spread.

There is no vaccine or treatment for bovine TB.

Infected animals waste away and eventually die after years.

The disease was also threatening the Transfrontier park being developed by South Africa, Mozambique and Zimbabwe.

Peter Buzz, a Sanparks veterinary surgeon, said it was unlikely that the disease could be treated specifically.

There are some 33 000 buffalo in the Kruger Park. - Sapa

:cry:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 11:29 am 

Wow, that is not good news at all, very worrying in fact.
I wonder how it has spread so fast to the North of the park. :?

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 11:48 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

If you take the ranges Buffalo move in, as well as the overlapping that takes place, I am surprized it took so long.

It also goes undetected so easily.

A long time ago I touched on the subject under the post "what happened to the Kruger lions". Most forumites felt that I was wrong by seeing BTB as such a short term threat. I wished I was!

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 11:52 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

christo wrote:
Luckily disease free calves raised with Jersey cows, has created a viable population of the Kruger gene pool in the old Vaalbos. This herd is (I stand to be corrected) already more than 250 strong.

As far as I know they are doing their best to stop the calfs to get TB in KNP as well. Unfortunately I don't have enough knowledge, thus I can't give you any facts. This is a hard battle to fight.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 7:26 pm 

Thats great news about Vaalbos... keep us informed Christo

Tamboti Oct 1,2,3,4
Biyamiti Oct 5,6,7,8

FGASA Local Area Guide

Nikon D700 FX, Nikkor 24-70 G f2.8, Nikkor 70-200VR f2.8, Nikkor 200-400 VR f4, Nikon 1.4 & 1.7 Convertors

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 8:16 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Peter Betts wrote:
Thats great news about Vaalbos... keep us informed Christo

If a guru can help out, I'll be glad, but to the best of my knowledge the scenario is as follows:

Sanparks was wide awake and saw the possible effect of bovine TB and other diseases in Kruger buffalo. They started a breeding program many years ago where they used Kruger genes and raised disease free calves from them. Only calves that proved to be 100% disease free were added to the Vaalbos herd. Care were taken to use different genes to ensure the genepool is not limited and inbreeding will not be a problem.

Since the deproclamation of Vaalbos, these animals are being moved (Possibly to more than one location). There are now a few 100 healthy Kruger buffalo living outside Kruger and these okes can be used to stock parks in future.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 9:20 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

The buffs in Addo are also disease free. I am not sure if they came from the same genes as the KNP buff, but I know they are disease free. When Lions were introduced there, the buff did not know how to deter them, and were easy pickings, but after a while the buff's instinct kicked in, and they "remembered" how to deter Lions.

The buff in Addo are valued at about R 160 000 (Approx $23 000)
Quite an expensive meal when one is taken down.

Being African is not determined by race, but by what's in your heart

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 9:47 am 

As far as I know there is also a viable disease free herd of Buffalo in one of the private reserves in KZN. :D

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 10:10 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

In regional game reserves in the FS there are a number of disease free herds. From which genepool they stem, I am not sure. The Vaalbos group has Kruger genes & the Addo buffalo is a group on their own. The diversity in the genepool of the species is such that the cape buffalo in general is in no real danger.

The way forward with the BTB infested herds of Kruger is a question that the scientists are working on. The research will take many years to complete and is very costly.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 11:30 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

This is REALLY worrying because if one Wild Dog gets TB then the whole pack will soon be wiped out :shock: :shock: :shock:

Somebody has to come up with a cure soon

Post subject: Bovine TB and Kruger Lions
Unread postPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 9:38 pm 

Im not sure if this feeling is shared amoungst many forum members, but the lion numbers in the soth of the Park seem to be less than that of about six years ago? The prides especially around croc-bridge and Malelane appear physically smaller and unhealthier than those in the central and North of the Park. I believe these prides are infected with Tb as 2 or 3 of the lions were collared. It has always been a great pleasure to spot lions in the early morning but these particular prides looked thin and battered, especially the collared ones. Its obvious that life isn't easy in the wild and they should look lean and battle weary, but i fear that TB is certainly taking its toll on these prides.

I saw both these prides in April, each of which had members consisting of nothing more than skin and bones :(

The malelane pride was 11 strong with three males, which is excellant, however in poor condition.

the croc-bridge pride was 10 strong, with a single tiny cub, which is unusual because lionesses usually synchronise there births in order to have a higher success rate of cubs surviving. Could this be a sign that the pride cannot cope with cub upbringing- because it is not normal :|

Does anyone feel the same about the lion situation, or any views regarding the longevity of southern prides?[/strike]

Post subject: Tuberculosis in Kruger
Unread postPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 6:18 pm 

Hi all, I have been out of Africa for some years and have only discovered the sanpark website recently. Back in 1999-2002 tuberculosis was found in buffalo herds quite far north and there was fear of what might happen to the big cats. Does anybody know how the problem developed and what the situation is like today?

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 7:12 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Funniest/Best Forumite Name (2013)
FAC Member (2012)
In a few words, southern lions were infected, and it is still a problem. Seeing scrawy lions is quite common in the south.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 7:29 pm 

Oopppss.
Just went through old threads and discovered the topic discussed extensively, accurately and in great detail in 2004- 2007. Suppose nothing much has changed since then. Just shows what a gold mine of information this website contains. If there has been any new developments since then I'm certainly interested.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 80 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next