Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  Page 1 of 3
 [ 43 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Fishing Research in Kruger
Unread postPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 4:15 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Does any one know why fishing research is done in Kruger? Would like to know what type of research was done in the park so far and the findings gathered by now.

Who is also leading the fishing research?

Post subject: Re: Fishing Research in Kruger
Unread postPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 5:23 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

The RAU ( now Johannesburg University) used to do research on the fish of the KNP. I met them in Shingwedzi a few years ago, a fine bunch of chaps. They used very fine meshed nets to net species. They also used electric probes to temporarily immobilize fish.

During May 2012 there was also a group of international researchers under the guidance of Johannesburg University doing research on the state of the KNP Rivers, met them while in Balule, they started their work in the Olifants River.

Done 144 visits to National Parks.
What a wonderful privilege.

Unread postPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 9:31 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi gmlsmit.

Thanks for the feedback. I looked under the Scientific group and found quite a lot of research being done. In most cases nets are used to catch the fish.

I read on the internet that volunteers are needed for a catch and release program and was interested to know what research they aim to achieve with a one day program. The researchers name or University was not mentioned.

Could it be possible that more volunteers are required to help with field work or does the University uses it's own students and researchers to catch fish.

I know you may not have the answer, but is there any of the moderators that knows about this project or some-one from scientific services?

Unread postPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 3:16 pm 

Son godin wrote:
Hi gmlsmit.

Thanks for the feedback. I looked under the Scientific group and found quite a lot of research being done. In most cases nets are used to catch the fish.

I read on the internet that volunteers are needed for a catch and release program and was interested to know what research they aim to achieve with a one day program. The researchers name or University was not mentioned.

Could it be possible that more volunteers are required to help with field work or does the University uses it's own students and researchers to catch fish.

I know you may not have the answer, but is there any of the moderators that knows about this project or some-one from scientific services?

Hi Son Godin, if you can provide us with a link we can try to find out for you.

Unread postPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 4:18 pm 
Guru
Guru

Hi Son Godin;

According to the Kruger National Parks’ (KNP) Code of Conduct, consumptive fishing is only allowed in artificial dams where one would need permission from the Conservation Department and a Section Ranger will determine the artificial dam to be used. The SANParks Honorary Rangers are hosting the ‘Catch and Release Research Fishing Day’ in KNP as a fundraising event where there will be no consumptive use. ALL fish caught will be monitored for scientific purposes and then released back into the dam.

Tel: (012) 426 5202

Unread postPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 5:10 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

This venture has nothing to do with researh.

Here they go again.

Remember the "Fishing Competition" held at the Reënvoël Dam a few years ago, also called a fund raising effort for the staff lapa at Letaba, organized by the Low-veld (Phalaborwa) Honorary Rangers.

Whether these fish are catch and release - the KNP is not the place for these outings for a selected few.

Catching a certain species of fish is dependent on the technique of the fisherman, which includes the type of bait,the area fished

If they really need to know what is in the water - net them, on a scientific way.

I was involved in organized Freshwater Angling in South Africa for very many years and from experience i can tell that these so called "fund raising" competitions do not bring in much revenue.

I again have to express my utter disgust about this inconceivable idea.

Again more proof that "CUSTOS NATURAE" has very little meaning to the decision makers.

It is all about

(1)human enjoyment for the selected few
and
(2) a bit of money making.

Unread postPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 6:34 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

After doing a bit of internet fishing I got the information on the event under the HR website. The event will be held at Reenvoeldam, which is often use for research purposes as the flow into this dam is pristine and not affected by any mining or other industry chemicals.

http://www.sanparksvolunteers.org/bushveld-region?start=7

Quote:
The SANParks Honorary Rangers of the Bushveld Region will be hosting a fishing opportunity at Reënvoël Dam, which is in the Phalaborwa aread of the Kruger National Park [KNP] on the 29th and 30th November 2013.

The reason for this event is twofold namely to bolster the KNP scientific data base on fish life and also to raise funds, which will be used for the on-going combat against rhino poaching by the KNP Ranger corps.

You are invited to participate in this event as am member of a four [4] man team. Only twenty [20] teams will be allowed to partake.

Accolades will be awarded to participants based on the following criteria:

1. Best father and son team

2. Catch of the day: Biggest sharp toot catfish

3. Catch of the day: Biggest kurper

4. Catch of the day: Biggest Tiger fish

5. Most fish caught on the day

6. Smallest fisht caught of the day

7. Funniest fisherman/dressed

Registration fees are:

R6000.00 per team (x5) who wishes to sleep over the night before (inclusive of a braai catered for by the honorary rangers - this is strictly on a first-book-first-serve basis)

R4000.00 per team (x15) who will only participate on the Saturday.

If you or your orginazation would like to participate in this event, please contact Hennie 082 803 0216 or Gert 082 419 0436 or on e-mail adres knp.fishing@gmail.com before 25 November 2013

Further communications will be sent to paid participants of the day in short future

Thank you for your time and consideration

yours sincerly

Quintin Vermaak

Chair: Bushveld Region

Honorary Rangers

KNP Research Fishing Day - 29th and 30th November 2013

My question is very simple. Is this more of a fundraising event with no real purpose for research, but just by coincidence "research" can be done. As I've said above and gmlsmit most researchers use netting and if catch and release are not done correctly the fish can die.

Unread postPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 6:56 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Just another comment to the above post. Sanparks policy on The Nonokani trail that runs towards Reenvoel dam are a max of six 4x4 vehicle. How will the participants travel to this event. I would a assume with no private vehicle then. :hmz:

Quote:
Nonokani Adventure Trail is a unique wilderness experience in Kruger Park, seen by few. It Designed to bring you as close as possible to the different wilderness areas without jeopardising the delicate eco balance. The trails are closed after heavy rains, no advance bookings are accepted. Visitors are only be able to book the morning they plan to go on this Kruger Park Adventure Trails. Nonokani Adventure Trail runs between Phalaborwa and Letaba on otherwise inaccessible dirt tracks. The trails are self-drive and due to ecological concerns only six 4x4 vehicles are allowed on the trail per day. Guests are provided with GPS co-ordinates and maps before setting out. Accommodation can be found anywhere in the Kruger, but Letaba would be the most convenient.(Information supplied by DriveOut Magazine).

Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 5:47 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

The following was posted: The reason for this event is twofold namely to bolster the KNP scientific data base on fish life and also to raise funds, which will be used for the on-going combat against rhino poaching by the KNP Ranger corps.

Where can one have access to the scientific findings of this venture?

Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 6:41 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Aye, another venture that could very well raise much
concern and doubt,...

Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 1:24 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

BUMP.

Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 1:31 pm 

Dear gmlsmit

Your query has been forwarded to SANParks PR.

A roaring lion does not catch any prey - African Proverb

Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 2:47 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Thanks.

Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 3:26 pm 

I know a few people that took part in this event. They apparently met at the Phalaborwa gate at 03H00 and drove in convoy to the dam.

Record was kept of the size and type of fish caught. A lot of small fish were just released without any data being captured. I have heard that they caught over 200kg of fish on the day, the biggest being a barbel weighing in at around 9Kg.

They also had food stalls, a cash bar and a local selling fishing tackle next to the dam.

Unread postPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 2:11 pm 
Guru
Guru

Dear Forumites,

Perhaps this is an opportunity to wish all of you a prosperous new year.

In relation to a post by GML Smit of AIKONA, please allow me to impress upon you that it does not matter how many times SANParks tries to explain its actions, the likes of GML Smit and his cronies will not in any way agree. It is for this reason that I would still expect that this like many other explanations will be shot down by GML Smit. I am of a view that GML Smit has no regard of SANParks and its management as you can see in his write-up where he refers to SANParks as ‘They’ as if he is referring to some objects or people that cannot be regarded as human beings. That as it may, SANParks will still provide a response to GML Smit of AIKONA.

It should be noted that the SANParks Honorary Rangers (HR) make a huge and POSITIVE contribution towards conservation in our various national parks and because of this tremendous support received from the HRs, SANParks does provide opportunities for HR’s to enjoy Kruger and other national parks in a special way without compromising the conservation mandate of the organisation. It is for this reason that I urge GML Smit to understand that all activities are approved after a thorough assessment.

With reference to the event in question, please take note that the data of the catch-and-release fishing day is still being analysed and is not available as yet. Once it has been processed it will form part of Kruger National Park’s database on fish species and their distribution. Furthermore please note that this fund raising event generated R30 800.00 and these funds were used to construct the dog kennels at Phalaborwa (see attached photo), that is part of the anti-rhino poaching effort.

The HRs support SANParks in two major areas namely, performing duties over weekends, and raising funds. Their total contribution to SANParks was R44 million during the previous financial year. Perhaps we will need to challenge GML Smit and AIKONA to better any contribution that the HR’s have made towards SANParks or cease their grand stand shouting.

Lastly KNP and many other national parks are a hallmark for conservation, and also a place to be enjoyed by the public, the staff as well as those that support the national parks such as the HR’s.

Best regards,
Reynold "Rey" Thakhuli
Acting Head of Communications
South African National Parks, Groenkloof, Tshwane/Pretoria
Tel: +27 (0) 12 426 5170 Fax: +27 (0) 12 343 0153
Mobile: +27 (0) 73 373 4999 e-mail: rey.thakhuli@sanparks.org
Go Wild! Off the best beaten natures tracks of Africa!
"The best way to get young people to understand and have respect for the environment in conservation areas is to start by making positive and visible changes in the environments where they live." - Dr David Mabunda, Chief Executive, SANParks.
Vision statement: ‘SANParks connecting to society’

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 43 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next