The lion project

Moderator: lion queen

lion queen
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

The lion project

Unread postby lion queen » Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:57 am

1.1.1. KNP Lion Demographic Study

The demographic study of lion populations within the Kruger National Park represents one of the most extensive lion research studies undertaken to date. This flagship project is the result of increasing concern over the prevalence of Bovine Tuberculosis (BTb) in lion populations within the reserve.

The 6 year study will investigate the intrinsic and extrinsic factors influencing carnivore dynamics – the extrinsic factors will focus on artificially introduced diseases to lion populations and which have the potential to lead to localized extinction. It is now commonly believed that BTb was first introduced into the reserve in the 1950’s by domestic cattle that, in turn, infected regional buffalo populations. Interestingly, buffalo herd dynamics do not appear to have been significantly affected and are regarded as BTb hosts. Lion predation on buffalo has spread the disease into prides predominantly in the south of the Park and to date, 10 prides have been darted and GPS radio tracking collars fitted to representative females in each pride.

Phase II of the project will involve a 5-6 year monitoring period during which time, focal sampling will be undertaken across all study zones of varying BTb prevalence in prey and prey biomass. The final phase of the project will focus on a survey or focal sampling to re-estimate lion populations and structure within the defined study zones.

This study will allow scientists to evaluate how lion dynamics have changed across varying areas of BTb prevalence and to introduce appropriate management plans accordingly.

This project is quite vital to the greater ecology of the Kruger National Park and your support in both observation and funding will go a long way in ensuring the future preservation of the African lion within the greater Kruger National Park.

The lion Project
SANParks Online Fans..........Where passion is pride!

You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough - Mae West

threedogs
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Re: The lion project

Unread postby threedogs » Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:06 pm

Thank you for bringing this to the wider attention of the forum lion queen. :thumbs_up:

A project I will follow with great interest. :)
NO TO TRADE IN RHINO HORN!

lion queen
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

Unread postby lion queen » Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:13 pm

threedogs wrote:Thank you for bringing this to the wider attention of the forum lion queen. :thumbs_up:

A project I will follow with great interest. :)

It's thanks to the link in your posting....... :thumbs_up:

I'll be following it to with great interest and post here as they progress.
SANParks Online Fans..........Where passion is pride!

You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough - Mae West

Jock
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Jock » Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:09 am

Elsa, Klystron and myself were discussing on the drive home on Saturday how healthy all the lions were this trip. I remember a few years ago we saw several prides clearly suffering from TB. It was great to see them fat and healthy.
Cheers
Her Highness Jockelina

Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away

Return to “Science and Research in SANParks”