African Wild Dog

Find, identify and discuss the animals of all the SANParks

Moderator: RosemaryH

kallis1786
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Re: African Wild Dog

Unread postby kallis1786 » Sun Jan 08, 2012 4:30 pm

Hi Swob, thanks for the input, to all Forum members I have been staying 45 mins from Punda gate for the past 15 years and have visited the Park every second weekend and have never had Wild Dog sightings between Punda and Shingwedzi since thats the only area of the park which I visit. I havent been to Pafuri lots and dont only visited the south of Kanniedood dam a few times as well. Over the past I have seen lots and lots of LIONS, I have also seen Leopard a few times and saw Cheetah a couple of times but never seen Wild Dogs, and just as a curious questions the wildebeest also decreased drastically because from seeing herds and herds of wildebeest to hardly seeing any now a days. There might be one wildebeest in a herd of Zebra but I dont really know if that could be a reason but could be a factor to take in concern.

swob9

Unread postby swob9 » Mon Jan 09, 2012 6:16 am

Kallis, interesting in what you have seen with the Wildebeest population. I also read that in the recent study on Botswana's wildlife numbers through an aerial survey, the Wildebeest population had virtually collapsed, especially in the Moremi Game Reserve. (Was published in Africa Georgaphic August 2011 I think...). I wonder if anyone has any more insight into this. Slightly worrying.

Impisi08

Unread postby Impisi08 » Sun Mar 18, 2012 1:46 pm

S114, January 29 and 30 2012. At that time, because of the flood, the H1-1 was closed after the junction with the S114. All the traffic to Berg & Dal and Pretoriuskop had to make a detour over the S114 so there was much more traffic than usual. The dogs didn't seem to mind. They were sleeping and playing on the road.

This dog is yawning. It was a cloudy morning but for a moment there was a bit of beautiful early sun light.

cheetah2111
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
FAC Member (2013)

Unread postby cheetah2111 » Sun Mar 18, 2012 5:50 pm

The Phalaborwa pack has finally been spotted again!
On the H14. The diagonal road from Phala to Mopani :thumbs_up:
Kruger 2014!!!

16-23 August - Lower Sabi!!!!

Flyingsailor

Unread postby Flyingsailor » Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:51 pm

Floating wild dog!!!

I must admit to being very lucky with the doggies ... I've seen them early morning, midday, late afternoon ... Chase the sightings board and you may get lucky!

Heksie
Award: Sighting of the Year - Small creatures/insects (2014)
Award: Travel Tale of the Year for KNP (2013)

Unread postby Heksie » Thu Apr 05, 2012 11:09 am

I've got a few pics from my last trip in the Kruger :wink: BUT if you guys want to see the super juicy excellent ones then you guys would need to check my next TR... 'Binocs and Broomsticks' (will start when me and Cheetah are finished with our joint TR) :twisted:

10 July Letaba
11 July Satara
12-14 July Lower Sabie
15-18 July Tsendze

24-27 September Lower Sabie

11-20 Dec Satara
14 Dec Sable Hide
21-27 Dec Lower Sabie
28-31 Dec Satara
1 Jan Croc Bridge
2-4 Jan Satara
5-8 Jan Lower Sabie

Mant

Re: Wild Dogs

Unread postby Mant » Fri Apr 20, 2012 9:33 pm

Hi Everybody,

Finally, here are my pictures of the Wild Dog we saw.

Enjoy!!!!!

Samantha

The Dog Lady

Unread postby The Dog Lady » Wed May 09, 2012 12:54 pm

Hi everyone,

i thought what better way to introduce myself than to tell you all about my recent visit to the kruger and my time with the Wild Dogs.

As i am from sydney/australia i do not get a chance to visit the Kruger all that often. well actually,very rairly. but i have had the chance to make 3 trips to the Kruger in the past three years. each time, hoping beyond hope that i would see Wild Dogs.
and would you beleive it , each time there have been sightings right up until a couple of days before i arrive...and then ....nothing. it was my reason to keep coming back.

well, this time i had 14 whole days in the Kruger park and i wasn't leaving until i saw my Wild Dogs. i had 10 days on a self drive , and 4 days with a company that i had used in the past (wild wings safaris)

for the first couple of days , i was always at the wrong end of the park at the wrong time,so whenever there was a sighting of the dogs i was always too far away.

on the fourth day , i joined (wild wings safaris) for a 4 day safari. three days past with no sightings of the wild dogs, not that the guide (Simon) did not try.everyone on the safari knew my passion for wild dogs and how much i wanted to see them.
on the last day with 4hrs to go i just tried to put it to the back of my mind ,so i wouldn't be dissapointed. then , simon receives a message to say there has been a sighting of wild dogs , it would be a long shot as they were 40km away , and we could possibly miss them , but everybody on board said to go for it and at least try.

so , filled with excitement , off we went in search of my wild dogs. the drive seemed to take forever. i was actually praying that they would still be there once we arived. i kept asking, how far now, are we there yet? finally we had reached the area where they were last seen,up ahead there were a few cars stopped at the side of the road,and my heart suddenly gained pace and started beating furiously,my eyes were like saucers looking for that first glimpse.

and then,there they were , a pack of 17 ,lying right next to the road. you can not imagine the overwhelming feeling of joy to be able to live your dream,it's just indescribeable.

we were able to be within meters of these beautiful creatures and to be looked in the eyes, by a wild dog is magical.
i was so happy, the dogs then decided they would start playing beside our vehicle. what a sight that was,and the sounds they make are wonderful. they were all jumping over each other and biting and pulling tails ,this went on for at least half an hour before we had to leave the park.
what a fantastic way to end the sfari and what a spectacular first sighting of wild dogs.

i will tell you about my second wild dog encounter some other time.
thanks for reading
cheers from downunder
The Dog Lady (jeanie) i will attempt to upload some pics.hope they work.

ImageImageImage

Vlakvarkvrou
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Vlakvarkvrou » Tue May 15, 2012 6:24 pm

Good evening,
For those who do not page through or read TR's under Travel Tales, I posted this earlier this evening in my TR :D

Dan and Catmatix asked me to post these photos of the glass-eating Wild Dogs we saw on the H1-1 near Skukuza during the cricket-weekend 10 March 2012.

Dog on the left has the bottle in his mouth
Dog behind the others playing with the bottle
Dog on the left putting it down
Still chewing

And the culprit

Luckily for the dogs, Dan and Catmatix managed to pick up the offending and dangerous piece of glass.

ekoppen
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby ekoppen » Fri Jul 27, 2012 8:26 pm

Wild Dogs on H7 near S36 junction

Twenty four pooches in the pack

*****2015*****
Skukuza Oct 30,31 Nov 1,2
Orpen Nov 3
Letaba Nov 6,7,8
Oliphants Nov 9,10
Satara Nov 11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,20,21,22,23,24,25,26,27
Lower Sabi Nov 27,28,29
Crocodile Bridge Nov 30 Dec 1

Jan van Wyk

Unread postby Jan van Wyk » Fri Jul 27, 2012 9:10 pm

You were so lucky...great moments capture

Few of our sightings on the S65

Low water bridge Skukuza

Friedrich von Hörsten
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Friedrich von Hörsten » Sat Jul 28, 2012 5:40 pm

:D Thanks for all the lovely wild dog sightings! Am sick in bed, but still enjoying the bush!

For anybody who has not seen a wild dog, my advice:
1. Go South
2. Go in Summer (unless you know where they are denning in winter!)
3. Check www.wlsightings.blogspot.com--it seems as if the sightings have been far less this winter than last summer...
4. After checking no. 3 for latest movements of dogs, concentrate on the following area:
SKUKUZA! I never sleep there, but the wild dogs are often on the H4-1, H1-1, S114, Kruger Gate
Pretoriuskop! H1-1, Voortrekker road, S7, Phabeni road S1
Bergendal! Commonly seen on H3, Matjulu, Gardenia, S25, Afsaal.

Habits: Often lie sleeping in road early when its cool; hunt later if opportunity arises; rest up inheat till late pm; lick each other into a frenzy and go hunting again at dusk...

So if you hear of a wild dog sighting between 9 and 4 pm, just go before sunset, and most likely you will have lots of action, dogs chewing your spare wheel cover, rubbing against your car's rear bumper etc...

See you at Pretoriuskop in December!

God bless,

Friedrich von Horsten
``God, I can push the grass apart and lay my finger on your heart'' -- E. St V Millay

Jan van Wyk

Unread postby Jan van Wyk » Sun Jul 29, 2012 3:57 pm

Agree with Fredrich the South is the best spot to find them

We were so lucky one December to find them bathing and playing on the low water bridge near Skukuza - (with a traffic jam after 5 minutes :( )

Hope you enjoy

cheetah2111
FAC Member (2013)

Unread postby cheetah2111 » Mon Jul 30, 2012 10:21 pm

I have heard of the Orpen pack as far South as Nhlanguleni :D
The S33 is not far further It could be them?
Kruger 2014!!!

16-23 August - Lower Sabi!!!!

ice

TV Documentary about Wild Dogs

Unread postby ice » Fri Nov 09, 2012 1:17 pm

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPREB5vFmc0[/video]

a few of my own observations:

- I don't think you could say "everything is in balance in Kruger": they have a huge poaching problem and an even bigger problem with way too many elephants in the park

- before watching this report my information was that during the last "big" census in 2009 172 dogs were counted; now they talk of 130 in 2012...another huge decline

- when I booked accomodation for our last trip (see http://www.sanparks.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=66697) I made sure to spend some nights in Pretoriuskop, specifically to try and find the dogs they are talking about; unfortunately we never found them (they had already left the den) but we did see the Skukuza pack twice (video footage to come); in fact, while we were there, it was seen on a regular basis

- at ca. 4:35 they talk about the guy getting a tweet - that was in fact a message from KrugerSightings (you can see their logo in the lop left corner of his cell phone)

Return to “Mammals”