Skip to Content

mammal foot prints

Find, identify and discuss the animals of all the SANParks

Moderator: RosemaryH

Re: What kind of Track is this?

Unread postby Trentonskeeper » Tue Nov 20, 2012 7:37 pm

bushbob wrote:I would say with near certainty that it is a snake. It is just too typical for a snake track. It is exactly the same width all along. why it just stops i dont know; but maybe if a car track went over both ends if the snake twisted leaving only that track that we see.

But definitely a snake track of some sort in my opinion

That would be one heck of a snake if it was, that track was beeeg. Rock python? What else could get that size?

Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread postby threedogs » Wed Nov 28, 2012 7:20 am

This is our snake track taken on the Red Rocks Loop - sadly we missed seeing the snake which created it!

Unread postby Gilbertr14 » Sat May 04, 2013 9:43 am

Riverrat wrote:It's an ellie who dragged it's trunk for a short while scenting the road surface: You'll see it suddenly starts with no entry onto the road, and no exit. It's also slightly irregular in movement, not completely rhythmic like a snake-track. The 2 tracks are made by the 2 "phalanx" fingers at the tip of it's trunk which it uses to hold small twigs or items. Compare the distance between the 2 tracks relative to the car-tracks it's placed on. There were probably elephant foot-prints next to the existing car-tracks too but these could have been driven over by subsequent vehicles.

What Riverrat said, seen them meandering down the roads, they drop their trunks for a while then lift them again leaving these marks.

Return to “Mammals”