Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 175 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
 Post subject: Re: Best camp to book evening gamedrive...?
Unread postPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 8:57 pm 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Hi Sander
Would recommend Satara or Lower Sabie
Seen my leopards near Berg en Dal , Lower Sabie and Skukuza

Unread postPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 1:31 pm 

Hi Sander
During our previous June/July holiday we decided to do a sunset drive from Satara, we were hesitant at first because our previous two night drives from Shingwedzi were extremely quite.
We had the most amazing time and sightings. 1 Leopard walking next to the vehicle, 2 cheetahs also close to the vehicle, badger and an African wild kitten were the highlights of the drive.
This year we've booked a sunset drive from Lower Sabie during the holidays again.
I did the booking by phoning Central Reservations.

Unread postPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 10:41 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Location: Living in The Netherlands but raised in South Africa
Sander wrote:
What time do nightdrives leave? The time of departure is left blank in our booking confirmation.

Hi Sander,

The last time we went to Kruger and did a Night Drive we left camp after dinner time at about: 20H.00

Take a look at this part of the SANParks Website: Kruger Game Drives :wink:

Take a look here for the most recent Activity Tariffs

The rear side of the camp layout which you receive at the Reception when you pick up your key shows all the actual times and activities the Camp provides the visitors.

2013 Trip: Satara, Lower Sabie, Hluhluwe, Berg-en-Dal, Lower Sabie, Satara, Elephant Plains(Sabi Sands) :dance:

Our 2013 Trip Report: Vinkie and Apex Predator back in the bushveld

Post subject: Re: Info: Sunset/Night drives taken from camps.
Unread postPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 10:19 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

I favour the night drives as we can drive around ourselves close to sunset but cannot venture out after dark.
Some camps only have sunset drives though.
It's great that you will be in the park for 2 weeks!
If you want to really treat yourselves, enjoy your night drive at Satara and try to get on a drive at Malelane as well.

Unread postPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 10:51 pm 

I just came back from the park and really had a great trip.

I just have one major gripe, I had with me first timers to Kruger and they really wanted to experience a night drive. To my shock I was quoted at R260 p.p for night drive. This is ridiculous, as a South African I can't believe anyone other than tourists will pay that amount.

Sad to say but we couldn't afford the R780 for the 3 of us for 2 hour drive, which was almost the cost of our accommodation for the 3 nights.

I saw in a previous post, it was stated as R150 a drive and that the prices haven't changed and that was in May of this year.. This really saddened me.

We were staying in Berg and Dal

Unread postPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 11:23 am 
Guru
Guru

Dear Mafunyane

Thank you very much for your feedback regarding your recent visit to Berg en Dal. It is indeed true that the costs of a night drive is R260 for adult. We regret to hear that you received an incorrect information about our prices prior to your visit. Please see this link http://www.sanparks.org/docs/tourism_ta ... 1376039643 for the current tariffs to avoid similar situation from happening again in future.

We thank you

Stephens Ledwaba
Communications and Marketing Department
Kruger National Park
+27 (0)13 735 4116
stephens.ledwaba@sanparks.org

Post subject: Sunset or night drive
Unread postPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 5:46 am 

Trying to decide if we should do a night drive or a sunset drive. Which do you recommend and why . How long do the drives last. Advice welcome.

Balule 22-24 October2013
Tsendze 24-26 October2013
Punda Maria 26-28 October 2013

Post subject: Re: Sunset or night drive
Unread postPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 6:19 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

I see you are visiting soon. At this time of year I would say do a night drive. The sunset drive will be about half daylight/half dark, but the night drive will be almost completely in darkness and you should get the night critters. Also with camp gates only closing at 6pm the sunset drive will have an hour or so with other cars still on the roads.

But it depends on the camp to some extent for timing - usually two and a half hours. The smaller camps, like Punda may start the night drive only after the sunset drive gets back (using the same vehicle), while the bigger camps will overlap.

Have you read the gate leaflet? Do you KNOW the regulations?

Completed over 5 years in Kruger in my caravan.

If I were normal I wouldn't be me!

Unread postPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 6:53 am 
Award: Travel Tale of the Year for KNP (2013)
Hi wachinda :yaya:

I do prefer a sunset as I'm totally wasted after a days drive. And do like to get to the camp @ 20:00 instead of 22:00 so I can get some rest and have a few KPA's around a campfire before going to bed. Also it is a 3 hour drive where the nightdrive is a 2 hour drive.

7+8 March cricket @ Skuks

25+26 April Skuks

12 Jul Tambotie
13-15 Jul Punda
16-19 Jul Tsendze

Unread postPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 8:34 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

We always choose a sunset drive over night drive when available (eg in Augrabies they have only night drives). The sunset drives are longer - 3 hours instead of 2 - and we like to see the transition from day to night. I believe there's a higher chance of seeing crepuscular and nocturnal animals then. Also, as Heksie mentioned, you get back at a decent time.

FGASA Level 1 Guide

Glen Reenen TR

15-18 June: Berg-en-dal

Unread postPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 8:44 am 

We've never done the night drive, but have had rewarding sunset drives at Berg-en-Dal and at Olifants.

Why not do both? :wink:

enjoy the trip!

*9-11 May Satara Camping
*12-13 May Balule Camping
*14 May Satara Camping
*15-17 May Pretoriuskop Camping

Trip Report to follow

___________________________________________________________________________________________

NO HOTELS IN KNP

Unread postPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 8:11 pm 

Thanks for the advice . Would love to do them all at every camp but as a family of four the price makes this prohibitive. Hopping to do the drive at Satara and possibly punda ( budget allowing)
Can you take your own spotlights on the drives

Balule 22-24 October2013
Tsendze 24-26 October2013
Punda Maria 26-28 October 2013

Unread postPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 8:25 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Only the provided lights may be used.

These are deliberately not super-powerful as the animals' eyes may be damaged by too powerful lights. If everyone had their own lights the combined effect would be too much and chaotic!

The guide should explain how to use the lights. Basically - use them as a search-light, looking under bushes, into trees etc. Keep the light moving gently around rather than fixed in one position - but do not move it too fast or you make your eyes (and everyone else's) go funny!

Try to avoid shining for any length of time in an animal's eyes - it blinds them for a variable length of time so is ethically bad practice. Shine on their backs, or on the ground in front of them. The only time shining directly into eyes is OK is if one of the big cats is charging at the vehicle as it helps to ensure safely.......the animal cannot see what is behind the light! Remember that animals are much more sensitive to lights than we are (that is why they can walk about at night when we cannot) so if you cannot look into the light do not expect an animal to do so.

Try to avoid reflecting the light off the wing mirrors or windscreen - you want the driver to see where he/she is going!

Bright spotlights are for the hunting fraternity who want to stun the animal into standing still for their shots.

Have you read the gate leaflet? Do you KNOW the regulations?

Completed over 5 years in Kruger in my caravan.

If I were normal I wouldn't be me!

Post subject: Game Drives in Kruger
Unread postPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 3:52 pm 

Hi, we are a family of 2 adults and our 12 year old son visiting from the UK next April. We are visiting Kruger and have booked accommodation at the following camps:- Biyamiti 3 nights, Skukuza 1 night, Satara 1 night, Olifants 2 nights and Letaba 1 night.

We are keen birdwatchers and love seeing all kinds of wildlife rather than focusing on the big five - we are just as excited to see some of the more unusual creatures.

We're planning on driving ourselves around most of the time but would welcome any ideas on which game drives would be best for us. We're thinking of doing a combination of morning & evening drives but are not sure which are best at each camp. Also is it possible to go on any drives just as a family with a driver and guide, perhaps exploring some less visited areas of the park?

Any ideas would be much appreciated.

Post subject: Re: Game Drives in Kruger
Unread postPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 4:27 pm 

Welcome holmesneg.
You are starting at Biyamiti. Definitely book a sunset drive there when you check in, if you enjoy it then book another!
I rate the drives from Biyamiti as it is in the 10-seater (max) vehicle and you are already reasonably away from it all being based at Biyamiti. Even better, if you let the guide (or Duty Manager at Biyamiti) know you are keen on Birds I'm sure they'll find someone to bird-walk you round camp too.

With a family it is good to find your own balance between self-drive time, guided drive time and downtime.

For the rest of the trip I would not particularly recommend one place or guided drive over another. More important, I think, to plan for say 1 or 2 more drives and book them on the day when the instinct strikes (possibly weather dependent).

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 175 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next