Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 166 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
 Post subject: Re: Info: Sunset/Night drives taken from camps.
Unread postPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:23 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Location: Living in The Netherlands but raised in South Africa
Bush Baptist wrote:
THe reason I suggested you don'tdo a morning drive, is because they go out when you can go out, but the other ddrives are out (partly) when the gates are closed.

THere is nothing stopping you driving along with the morning drive vehicle.

You are right Bush Baptist, I meant a Sunrise drive, we did the sunrise drive not the morning drive :redface:

The sunrise drive leaves the camp before the gates open... :whistle:

But a Night drive is nice too 8)

2013 Trip: Satara, Lower Sabie, Hluhluwe, Berg-en-Dal, Lower Sabie, Satara, Elephant Plains(Sabi Sands) :dance:

Our 2013 Trip Report: Vinkie and Apex Predator back in the bushveld

Unread postPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:58 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

I've never tried a morning drive for that exact reason -- I can drive myself. :) I do enjoy the occasional evening and night drives, though. What you lose in self-sufficiency you gain in being out and about during some prime times. We've done a Satara evening drive each time we've stayed there.

Post subject: Re: Update on night drives / sunset drives on light shining
Unread postPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 11:38 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Mars, I'm glad you had an enjoyable game drive from Satara during your recent KNP trip.

I agree, sometimes the guests, who have been given the spotlights, do not understand how to use them and no-one explains to them. Good that your SHR guide took the time, twice, to explain and hence give everyone on the vehicle a better experience.

KTP May 2015

Unread postPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 3:44 pm 

DotDan, I just phone Lower Sabie directly to book their night drives. I'm not sure why they don't have it on their website. Their number is: 013 735 6056.

LOWER SABIE - 30th Sept.& 1st/2nd Oct.
OLIFANTS - 3rd/4th Oct.
SATARA - 5th/6th Oct.
SKUKUZA - 7th/8th Oct.
BERG EN DAL - 9th Oct.

Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 6:55 am 

We have done plenty of sunset and night drive from Satara and Lower Sabie and have enjoyed every one of them. This year we are staying at Punda for the first time and I am wondering whether it's a good camp to do a sunset or night drive from.

Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 6:59 am 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Award: Travel Tale of the Year for KNP (2013)
Dotdan, there are definitely nightdrives @ LS. We did a sunset in Jan there and Lungo was our guide! Superb drive and when we arrived back at camp another group left @ 20:00

12 Jul Tambotie
13 Jul Sable Hide
14+15 Jul Punda
16-19 Jul Tsendze

Unread postPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 11:28 pm 

On our last trip in January we spent our last night in Tamboti and took a sunset drive from the Orpen camp.

Wow what a trip! Within about a kilometre from camp we saw a lion pride have a failed stalk on impala because a swainsons francolin busted them. We also saw elephant during the light hours.

Then it all went crazy, we got word from a car that there were wild dog about 5kms away. So we slowly cruised knowing that we probably wouldn't get there before they moved on. Then another car stopped to tell us the wild dog made a kill and the lion had come to take their kill. Crazy! But we weren't to hopeful of making it that far, when all of a sudden two wild dog came sprinting down the tar road calling and you could hear the others within the bush. They came right past the game vehicle without even giving a second look. The ranger started following them to try see what they were up too hen all of a sudden he smashed on the brakes, a leopard had walked to the side of the road. It was madness, we were watching a leopard to our right a few metres away and wild dog running down the road. We must have spent a good 15 minutes the leopard before it walked off.

As it started getting dark we saw a number of hyena, 3 genet, a bushbaby, 2 jackal and yet another leopard as we neared camp! It was a game drive from heaven...

The best part, there was a massive downpour as we left Tamboti so I left my camera (I was lending a lens from my father so didn't want to even risk damaging it) back in camp. :lol: To me it was totally worth it and one of my best experiences in the park to date, although I have been on many many drives and know it doesn't always work out that way.

Apr/May: 28 - 1

Short trips are all I can fit in, but it's better than no trips at all!

Unread postPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 2:22 am 

As all the above replies prove,there are no certainties.
I have had brilliant night drives and also some when I couldn't wait to get back.
Personally We prefer the sunset drives as you get a bit of both and neither too long if it is quiet.
The idea that everything appears after dark is misleading,we have seen far more lions,leopards etc driving ourselves during the day, and this is after 30 plus night drives.
Will I do more.......yes....because it is different and you never know..that is nature!

Unread postPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 7:59 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

I am a bit upset regarding the mentality of some of the guides, especially after our latest night drive at Lower Sabie 2 weeks ago.

The guide was way too eager to find Lions which the guests asked to see, that he hurried over to Dukes Waterhole where there were Lions earlier in the day (which we saw and sat with for over 2 hours during the midday heat).

My special request was to see if we can find some Nightjars and Owls and reptiles etc.

Unfortunately the Nightjars had no chance as this dude drove at about 40km's/H to get to Duke and back within 2 hours and ironically he couldn't find any cats.. but almost missed a Puffadder, White Faced Scops Owl and flushed various Nightjars without trying to stop once.

Then again 2 years ago we also did a Night drive at LS with another guide, and he was superb, made the effort to stop for a few nightjars etc

I personally think some guides feel pressured to show guests the big stuff, otherwise they might feel like a failure?

Unread postPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 12:34 pm 

We were on a drive from Satara a few years ago. The guide was a birding expert and really wanted to show us some birds. The response from the rest of the drive was "birds are for eating" and whenever he stopped for a bird would just talk loudly amongst themselves. Poor man gave up in the end and left us feeling like idiots.

But people like the big cats and some people just cannot get to Kruger very often, so they are high on their wish list. Who wants a trip of a lifetime to Africa and not see lions? They are iconic. Ironically some of my best cat sightings have been because of birding.

We've done drives from Punda and Shingwedzi that have been specifically bird related but then the majority of the people on those drives were birders and asked for them. I have put on feedback forms in the past that it would be great if the camps offered birding only drives but in the bigger camps the available trucks all go out on the regular drives so there just isn't the capacity, I guess.

Unread postPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 8:08 pm 

It was Michael, a lovely guide. I know Bert's had a drive with him before as well and thoroughly enjoyed it. Irving Knight has also moved to Satara from Lower Sabie - one of the best guides in the park.

Post subject: Re: Night drives from Pretoriuskop & Tamboti
Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 4:27 pm 

As far as I can remember, Tamboti's game drives are based at Orpen Camp as Tamboti's is a satellite camp of Orpen, the driver will collect and drop you from Tamboti's camp. You should contact the the camps directly and book via telephone now.

2014 Trip

Punda Maria 14 April
Shingwedzi 15/16 April
Letaba 17/18/19 April
Berg n Dal 20/21 April

Last edited by figjam on Tue Apr 01, 2014 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 4:36 pm 

Orpen camp contact number: +27 (0)13 735 6355, give them a call

2014 Trip

Punda Maria 14 April
Shingwedzi 15/16 April
Letaba 17/18/19 April
Berg n Dal 20/21 April

Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 4:45 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Funniest/Best Forumite Name (2013)
FAC Member (2012)
I have done night drives from both camps.

Pkop drives are regular enough, being a big camp, and often they put out 2 vehicles.

The Orpen ride does indeed pop in and pick up Tam guests. I have done it many times.

Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 6:28 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
There is definitely a night drive from Orpen Gate which you can book on the day that you want to do it. You need to book at Orpen which is 2 kilometres away from Tamboti, and you will be collected inside Tamboti for it, and dropped off there too. I'm not sure if you've ever stayed in Tamboti before but getting back to your tent after the night drive drop-off is an adventure in itself :lol: :lol:

Is the bush calling loudly? Read about the Bush Camps presented by the HR's

July/August 2014
27-30 Tamboti (Number 40!!!)
30-1 Letaba
1-4 Shingwedzi
4-6 Mopani

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 166 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next