Skip to Content

Olifants Sightings

Discuss activities available in the Kruger National Park, and follow all the sighting reports.
bridgeman
Guru
Guru

Olifants Sightings

Unread postby bridgeman » Sun Sep 13, 2009 6:40 pm

moment of silent on game night drives

when ever you get a chance to go on a night drive here in kruger never miss a chance of enjoying the experience of being there at night, just ask your guide to give you a moment of silence with all the lights off and look at all those fire flys flashing left and right, im telling you will never get such filling any where else in the world, sometimes you get lucky enough and here lions roaring very close and all those night jars...woow! very very! nice

bridgeman(Oliphants Guide)

Josh of the Bushveld
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Re: moment of silent on game night drives

Unread postby Josh of the Bushveld » Mon Sep 14, 2009 12:43 pm

Hi Bridgeman, welcome to the forum :)

I agree with you totally, what a great experience. This should also be done for some stargazing if possible (unless Olifants offers the astronomy experience again).

By the way, I was one of your passengers on the sunset drive on Thursday night last week (2 leopard, african wild cat etc). The stop on the low-level bridge with all the fire flies was indeed fantastic. (Pity I didn't realise the lenscap on my video camera was still on, I just thought it couldn't pick up the fireflies :redface: ). Also, you had at least 4 forum members on that drive (me and the Prings).
The 'mite formerly known as joshilewis

FGASA Level 1 Guide

Glen Reenen TR

15-18 June: Berg-en-dal

Betelgeuse
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Betelgeuse » Thu Sep 17, 2009 9:50 am

Welcome Bridgeman!
I agree with you by having silent moments on drives, you can experience nature in a different and memorable way.

All the best
There is nothing like looking, if u want to find sumthing. You certainly usually find sumthing, if u look, but it is not always quite the sumthing you were after. - JRR Tolkien.

Inyati

Unread postby Inyati » Thu Sep 17, 2009 3:25 pm

:clap: :clap: :clap:
We need more guides like you!!!!

One of the better evenings was at the bridge just before Afsaal heading towards Berg n Dal... Driver stopped the vehicle, switched the lights and told all to keep quiet... (He didn't tell us why- we thought a Leopard was in the river, so kept our traps shut)... The suddenly out of the dark night sky, we saw the fireflies, and the heard lions in the distance... We stayed there for about 30minutes, one of my most memorable moments....

On a very rainy night, just boardering the park, we took a drive. Two huge male lions were on the hunt for impala... In the interest of wildlife being true, we switched the lights off. How truley amazing.... These two beast took down three impala in a matter of minutes, and we heard it all, didn't see a thing, absolutely awesome!!!!

Great to hear you going to give your guests similar experiences!!! :dance:
"All my life I've wanted to be someone; I guess I should have been more specific."

Bundu_SA_Guy

Unread postby Bundu_SA_Guy » Wed Sep 30, 2009 6:39 pm

Was in the Park (Lower Sabie) over the long weekend and went on a Sunset Drive, remebered about the moment of silence from the blog and was going to tell our guide, but she beat me to it and turned off the motor, switched off the lights and requested those with the floodlights to do the same for more then a minute we sat in dead silence, it was TOTALLY awesome, heard some frogs and owls.

The guide we had was also fantastic, her name was Martie and she really had us going with her humour and her knowledge and spotting was just incredible, she even spotted chameleons in the dark and 2 red lipped snakes on the road.
Stress levels are rising ... need a Kruger fix

bridgeman
Guru
Guru

ngotso dam again!

Unread postby bridgeman » Thu Oct 22, 2009 2:57 pm

Good day every one

i'm back with another heat again!

22-10-2009 (morning drive 05:30-08:00)

as usual i decided to go and try something down south, got good elephants(High level bridge) good buffaloes and lost count of giraffes and the Hyenas in a den 2ks from oliphants bridge. Just before Ngotso dam we took a left turn about 2km in we saw a group of cars just a km where we made the turn off and every body was very curious to know what was happening there and we quickly made a turn and drove straight there and Booom! 7lions :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: killed a zebra in the middle of the road and dragged it few miters next to the road + - 15meters,every body was woow!

I cant believe we made a turn 1/2km from a perfect sighting(you cant afford to make a wrong turn) to see the lions full of fresh blood on their face like that was eeh! eeh! eeh!(sory i cant find the right words to describe that) all thanks to those cars packed on the spot....

have a wonderful day (see you next time)
.........>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Ngotso Dam a.k.a Ngotso Zooo!(a place where you get everything)

Batmad
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Re: Olifants Sightings

Unread postby Batmad » Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:05 pm

Howzit Bridgeman 8)

I went on a afternoon walk with you and Denis on our previous Trip. I just wanted to say thank you for an amazing walk! I am inspired to be like you when i am older.

A photo of us

Bridgeman on the far Left and denis on the Far right.

Avid birder, wildlife enthusiast and photographer with a special interest in Bats and Birds

2014 Birding Big Year- A 365 Day quest for 800 Species of Southern African Birds

spargish
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread postby spargish » Thu Jul 15, 2010 1:12 pm

Wow what a coincidence, after spending last week end in the park and hen joining this forum, I see bridgeman is a member of the forum :clap:

I had the pleasure of going on a night drive with bridgeman and I thought he was an amazing guide, quick to share his vast knowledge and I hope the other 3 passengers thought the same. Even though we didnt really see anything I love being out of the camp at night when we were on the eastern olifants river look out and turned all the lights out it was amazing.

I hope you are feeling better bridgeman as you were ill on our night drive.

the next morning we saw a beautiful leopard right next to the dirt road around the corner from the eastern olifants look out, I will try post a picture tonight
NO to OSV privleges! Equality for all Guests!
TR Cricket Days and last nights of Summer now on

spargish
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread postby spargish » Sun Jul 18, 2010 1:10 pm

okay, okay here is the pic
NO to OSV privleges! Equality for all Guests!
TR Cricket Days and last nights of Summer now on

SusieB

Unread postby SusieB » Mon Jul 19, 2010 10:44 pm

Lovely leopard shot...what a great siting!

WendyA
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger
Award: Sighting of the Year - Non Predator (2013)

Unread postby WendyA » Mon Nov 01, 2010 5:18 pm

I recently met Bridgeman in October during my stay at Lower Sabie. He is now working there. He did ask me to put a note on the site to apologise for not posting for such a long time but apparently there were problems with uploading photos from Olifants.

Anja Barnard

Unread postby Anja Barnard » Wed Nov 17, 2010 9:50 am

We stayed at Oliphants during the long weekend in September. The sightings very close to camp was not that good (say within a 5km range of camp) but had a lot of great sightings in the area. On the gravel road to Balule, we had a big herd of Buffalo (300+), lots of Kudu, elephants, impala etc. We stopped for coffee on the high water bridge over the oliphants river on the tar road early the Saturday morning as you are allowed to alight from your vehicle. There was only hippos, impalas and some birds. As we were about to leave, the impalas suddenly scattered into the bush. We then only noticed the pride of lions in the grass on the edge of the river. They later moved to an open area close to the water. :thumbs_up:

Another highlight was later that evening before gate closing time. We took the gravel road passing Balule again back to camp. There were two vehicles on the low water bridge at Balule. We then noticed the lioness on the Balule side of the river and it was clear that she wanted to cross the river via the bridge. (Did find 3 lions crossing this bridge about 3 years ago). Unfortunelly, the vehicles scarred her of each time it looked as if she were coming over. But she was very eager to cross (propably had cubs hidden somewhere on the other side). She jumped of, and then approached the water. Was quite a nerve wrecking experience for us. She swam at places and jumped from rock to rock. (Photos on Public sightings, Kruger galary). :cam: :cam:

Also had other nice lion, rhino, elephant, lion at buffalo kill, hyena and other sightings on the tar road towards Satara. On Sunday morning we found about 9 hyeans :twisted: at Ngotso north, some laying in the water, scaring of desperatly thirsty zebras. :(

The Oliphants experience was nice for change and will definitely go there soon again. The camp, after all the renovations, is great and the new sundowner deck with the breath-taking view is stunning.
:clap: :clap:

Mauxie

Unread postby Mauxie » Wed Mar 30, 2011 5:06 pm

I also love the Olifants area, altho' I must admit that I haven't seen a huge amount there. I have had some wonderful lion and elephant sightings tho'. Having said that... on a night drive from Olifants, last October, I saw a pocupine, a lioness, spring hares (a first for me :D ). and 2 honey badgers :dance: . EDIT: I just remembered that we also saw an African wild cat, on that same night drive, as well.

My best sighting, by far, was late one afternoon while on my way to Olifants, also in October last year. I saw this gorgious leopard, on the Ngotso Weir road (S89), just past the weir. He was in a tree a few metres from my car. He was asleep at first but then sat up and eventually came down and started stalking some huge buffalo. Needless to say, he wasn't successful!

KRUGER, my happy place!
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
BIYAMITI 1st & 2nd OCTOBER
SKUKUZA 3rd & 4th
OLIFANTS 5th
SATARA 6th , 7th & 8th
LOWER SABIE 9th , 10th & 11th
BERG EN DAL 12th

cheetah2111
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
FAC Member (2013)

Unread postby cheetah2111 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:06 am

wow mauxie thank you :D
I love the river road up to Letaba from Olifants. so scenic :D
Kruger 2014!!!

16-23 August - Lower Sabi!!!!

Thunderbird7

Unread postby Thunderbird7 » Sun Jun 05, 2011 11:30 am

My son and I had an excellent sunset drive on the 31st with John. 7 lions just over the bridge at Balule - the leftovers of 19 that had killed a buffalo the night before. 2 hyaena cubs and a beautiful leopard later with a genet, 2 eagle owls, numerous elephants and hippo out in the spotlight. A truly memorable night out.

On the same stay, we found a pregnant hyaena just north of Olifants, near the river, early morning and a great little family of banded mongoose playing on the road.

Oh yeah, and we found out that monkeys can open fridges, can open juice cartons, are not too partial to bread ( threw that one away for the birds, which was fortunate :-) ) and don't like pineapples or onions.

Return to “KNP Activities & Sightings”