Skip to Content

Brown hyena - rare sighting?

Discuss activities available in the Kruger National Park, and follow all the sighting reports.
PRWIN

Re: Brown hyena - rare sighting?

Unread postby PRWIN » Tue Apr 21, 2015 8:58 pm

Brown hyenas are frequently spotted on farms in Mpumalanga from Middelburg to Lydenburg so I won't be surprise to find them in KNP.

A study was done by Michelle van As in 2010 - 2012 on Brown Hyenas in a area not too far from Kruger.

LIVESTOCK, LEOPARDS AND BROWN HYAENAS: CONFLICTS OF COHABITATION IN THE
ROODEWALSHOEK CONSERVANCY, MPUMALANGA
By
Michelle van As

Songimvelo Game Reserve also list them as animals found in the reserve near Barberton so maybe one day one will wander off to KNP and seen near Berg-n-Dal. :wink:

Hippotragus
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Hippotragus » Wed Apr 22, 2015 2:20 pm

I enjoyed reading your comment, HB. It makes a lot of sense.

It will be very interesting to see if there is, indeed, an increase in Brown Hyena sightings.

Just as an aside, we were in Pilanesberg Park last weekend and saw 4 Brown Hyenas together just before dawn. Our guide there commented that they are usually solitary and seeing the 4 was unusual.

I hope people will report here if they do see any Brown Hyenas in KNP.
KTP May 2015

Grantmissy
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
FAC Member (2013)

Unread postby Grantmissy » Wed Apr 22, 2015 2:57 pm

Hippotragus wrote: hope people will report here if they do see any Brown Hyenas in KNP.

I have never seen a photo of any brown hyena that was taken in the Kruger on this forum :hmz: But perhaps as some forum members has indicated, there might be a few who migrate through the KNP that visiors might see.
Do not support Circuses that uses wild and other animals to perform circus acts to amuse people

Return to “KNP Activities & Sightings”