Skip to Content

All-day & Half Day-drives in KNP

Discuss activities available in the Kruger National Park, and follow all the sighting reports.
ecojunkie
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Re: Sanpark Full Day Drives info required

Unread postby ecojunkie » Tue Oct 04, 2011 3:03 pm

I know the camps offer these subject to guide and vehicle availability.
Usually the 10-seater vehicle would be used, and you can ensure that you have exclusive use of it by paying a bit more.
The best would be to contact the camp(s) you are thinking of using.
If I find out anything more re prices etc I will post here.
Smiling is contagious. Start an epidemic today!

Have you read the entrance permit? Do you KNOW the Conditions of Entry?

Completed over 6 years in Kruger in my caravan.

If I was normal I wouldn't be me!

ecojunkie
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread postby ecojunkie » Tue Oct 04, 2011 3:46 pm

If booked well in advance you should have no trouble getting what you want. I do suspect you may have to pay for 10 seats though for exclusive use. Will try to check.
Smiling is contagious. Start an epidemic today!

Have you read the entrance permit? Do you KNOW the Conditions of Entry?

Completed over 6 years in Kruger in my caravan.

If I was normal I wouldn't be me!

Stephen
Guru
Guru

Unread postby Stephen » Tue Oct 04, 2011 4:32 pm

Greetings from Berg en Dal :D

Please mail me (Stephen.nel@sanparks.org) the dates and requirements on nr of people etc. then I can see what we can put together for you or I can forward it to the relevant camp.

Warm regards from Kruger :D
Stephen Nel
Manager: Hospitality Services
Berg & Dal Rest Camp: KNP

Pawps

All-day drives

Unread postby Pawps » Tue Feb 05, 2013 6:44 am

The park website mentions "new additional drive options" where "trained officials take visitors to sections of the park which are usually not accessible to tourists" and that these should be organised directly with the relevant camps.
We're spending 3 nights at Mopani and so I called and spoke to one of the managers who advised that while this sort of activity was usually done from Phalaborwa Gate, they could accommodate us from Mopani.
Very kind, and reasonably priced too at R940/person which includes brekkie and lunch, starting from 5 a.m. and returning around 4 p.m.
My question is, has anybody done a similar activity and if so, what was the experience like.
I have this vision of being taken off the beaten track and having the most amazing experience, but not sure of I'm setting myself up for a bit of a fall?
I'd appreciate any comments.

Heksie
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Award: Sighting of the Year - Small creatures/insects (2014)
Award: Travel Tale of the Year for KNP (2013)

Re: All day drives

Unread postby Heksie » Tue Jul 02, 2013 3:18 pm

Maybe this link can help?
http://www.sanparks.org/parks/kruger/tourism/activities/default.php
Then just click on what type of activity you want to be part of...
Trips:
26 Dec-10 Jan Sabie Park

4-8 March Skukuza
29 March-2 April Skukuza
12-14 July Lower Sabie
15-18 July Tsendze
24-27 September Lower Sabie

Rooies
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Rooies » Tue Jul 02, 2013 3:27 pm

I haven't heard of all day drives before. But why not drive yourself? After all, who wants to sit in a vehicle the whole day with total strangers who might not be interested in the same things as you. And, we also drive on the left side of the road :D It will probably cost you less to hire a car for the trip than what a whole day guided drive will cost you.
Give thanks for unknown blessings already on its way---African saying
Member nr 8512
Cheetah supporterPURIST and proud thereof

impyim
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby impyim » Wed Jul 03, 2013 2:05 am

I will look at all the sites you've mentioned to find out more.

The article re. the all day drives on sanparks website also states that the drive takes you to places the public aren't normally allowed into - which we thought would also be different.
So now you know why I am enquiring about all day drives -

Pawps

Unread postby Pawps » Mon Jul 08, 2013 6:06 am

impyim, I saw the all-day option as well, and couldn't help thinking it's a wonderful opportunity for a potentially different experience. I've managed to organise an all-day drive from Mopani. Who knows what this will bring...........I'll pm you with how I went about this - quite easy to arrange.

jumbuck

Cost of Half Day Drive at Skukuza

Unread postby jumbuck » Sat Jul 26, 2014 12:47 pm

I have been trying to book a half day drive at Skukuza online and the pricing has me a bit confused.
When you mouse over the description it shows the cost as R2500 for a base rate which includes 4 people. However when you try and book it online it asks you how many adults/children there are. If you enter 2 adults and 0 children it wants to charge you R5000.
I have emailed central reservations who said to contact the camp (which I tried) but I am not getting any response. As we are going to be there in a couple of weeks I was hoping for a quick answer. Does anyone know what the true cost is? I am guessing you just enter 1 for the number of adults if you have between 1 and 4 people but would hate to get there and one of us has to miss out. Plus R5000 for 2 people for a 4 hour drive is a bit expensive IMO (even for us foreigners :lol: )

jumbuck

Re: Cost of Half Day Drive at Skukuza

Unread postby jumbuck » Sat Jul 26, 2014 1:53 pm

MATTHYS wrote:Jumbuck, on this page it shows the base rate as R2500.00 and Base Rate (no. people) as 4.
I will ask about this, but please don't expect a reply (unless someone else can help you) before Monday.

Thanks for that, Matthys. Another couple of days will be fine.

stevenjm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby stevenjm » Thu Jul 31, 2014 10:10 am

Hi there,

Two issues exist in this situation;

1. There is an error that the activity is displaying on the web, this is a camp activity that can only be booked at camp level due to the resource scheduling for such an activity.
2. Since this is not a web item, the calculations are not working correctly as it was not correctly setup.

We will be removing this item from the web and as such you will need to book the activity directly at the camp - I am trying to ascertain with certainty who you will be able to contact at the camp and as soon as I have information on that I will provide you with it.
If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

jumbuck

Unread postby jumbuck » Mon Aug 04, 2014 10:15 am

stevenjm wrote:Hi Jimbuck,

You can contact Akani Sivambu - akani.shivambu@sanparks.org

Thanks

Thanks for the info Stevenjm - much appreciated.

wilmaw

Re: All-day & Half Day-drives in KNP

Unread postby wilmaw » Tue Oct 07, 2014 10:01 pm

It does exist, but not all camps/gates offer it. Try to speak to someone more senior. Croc Bridge does it, Orpen too. Malelane not. You have to call and the price depends on your party and duration. Just as an INDICATION, I enquired for a family group of about 20 people, and was quoted "approx R600-R700 pp for half day", and "R985pp for full day" (no snacks/meals provided, children u/12 half price).

I hope it helps people with similar plans.

pviral

Driver with Vehicle drive option in Park

Unread postby pviral » Sun Jan 11, 2015 3:07 am

Have anyone taken this option?
Can you please share some experience?

Thanks
Viral
===================
New additional drive options

All the above drives for the camps will be available through the SANParks’ central reservation system, as well as drives from the main gates. However an additional offering is an all-day-drive where, on request and availability at camp level, guests may hire the use of a vehicle and driver for the entire day, subject to availability. Trained officials take visitors to sections of the park which are usually inaccessible to tourists. This service can also be arranged from other camps at an additional fee.

Hugh
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Re: Driver with Vehicle drive option in Park

Unread postby Hugh » Sun Jan 11, 2015 12:36 pm

I have not thought of this full day drive... just want to ask you ... do you have your own car or a hire car... its so nice to drive around as a self drive then you can stop when you want to and go where you want to. It would also be a lot cheaper than going on all these organised drives Best organised Sanparks drives are the sunset drive and the night drive also consider a bush braai .where you have dinner in the middle of the Bush .
Happy planning
God couldn't be everywhere so he made Grandmas

Return to “KNP Activities & Sightings”