Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: Re: Shingwedzi 4x4 Eco Trail
Unread postPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 4:18 pm 

AL, the Shingwedzi Trail goes through Moz - it starts and ends in Kruger. I will see if I can contact someone who can give you more detail on it :thumbs_up:

A roaring lion does not catch any prey - African Proverb

Unread postPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 6:07 pm 

The Shingwedzi trail starts at Letaba and ends at Pafuri and runs through the center of Limpopo National Park (LNP).
Border crossings at Pafuri and Giriyondo are a pleasure (no visa needed for Saffers only a passport and vehicle/trailer papers) .

Although it is a product of an Operator contracted to LNP it can be booked through the KNP booking office (as both Parks are part of the GLTP) -
I would however suggest to ask the operators direct as they will be able to provide better information.
You can contact the Operators on email: info@tfpd.co.za / tel: 021 701 7860 / http://www.dolimpopo.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I think it is important to understand what the trail is about as the KNP and LNP Parks are different in many ways.
Game sightings on the Shingwedzi trail will not be as high as the KNP as game numbers are still on the increase - having said this the Lebombo Trail is not known for its game sightings ;
you will anyway see plenty game on the normal tourist areas on the way to / from the start / finish and these trails are more about being in the wide wilderness and seeing and experiencing new areas !.

The trail passes through sandveld areas (comprises only 5% of KNP landscape making this an important part of the GLTP system) and through the Shingwedzi valley where there are some lovely viewpoints (Shingwedzi or Ngwenya cliffs view point and valley) and camping spots (Mbona Kaya).
There are communities within the Park (to be resettled in upcoming years) so you will pass through 1 or 2 villages within the Park and then a number of villages in the Park Support Zone along the Limpopo River - which are certainly interesting to see as well.
So a very similar - but also very different product to the Lebombo Eco trail and certainly something to open your horizons.

They are planning to post a trip report of this trail on the website soon so watch out for this.

Incidentally we have tried to link the trail into a circular trail with the Lebombo Eco trail but this has unfortunately been shelved for now - it would have been an excellent product.

PS Jen - saw 3 great Roan about 200m from Giriyondo last week

Hope this helps - any further questions feel free to post or PM

Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 12:55 pm 

I did find a whole lot of info on a website that runs a lodge in the Limpopo Transfrontier Park.
Cant seem to find the URL at present.
Will post it when I eventually find it.
Looks really rustic and maybe a tad hardcore when the weather turns nasty.