Skip to Content

Night Drives Vs Sunset Drives

Discuss activities available in the Kruger National Park, and follow all the sighting reports.
FaBecky

Night Drives Vs Sunset Drives

Unread postby FaBecky » Mon May 04, 2015 6:56 pm

Hi guys

We're going to the Kruger for the first time in June and we're wondering if anyone has any advice on the various drives one can book?'

Currently we're looking at Sunset and Night drives from Croc Bridge and Olifants. Anyone have any suggestions or advice on what we should do?

Also, what's the difference between a night drive and an external night drive?

All info is very welcome :)

Thanks

FB

Hugh
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Re: Night Drives Vs Sunset Drives

Unread postby Hugh » Mon May 04, 2015 8:53 pm

Usually the sunset drive is longer than the night drive You leave camp before gate closing when its still light then You are driven around and watch the sun go down and watch the nght critters come out the Night drive is later in the evening shorter than the sunset drive .
The difference between the night drive and external night drive is that folk are picked up at one of the gates They are not staying in the park and they get the same drive as the Park residents
Hope that helps . I am sure others will come along who have more experience than I have
God couldn't be everywhere so he made Grandmas

Elsa

Unread postby Elsa » Mon May 04, 2015 10:09 pm

Warm welcome to the forum FaBecky! :clap:

Please do have a read through the Info: Sunset/Night drives taken from camps. where apart from the advice Hugh has already given you, there is lots of info with regards the various drives.

For other topics you might find useful, do have a look through our Index to Activities and Sightings

Enjoy and best wishes for a wonderful trip!
Where ever you go, go with all your Heart.

Leaping Lizards
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Leaping Lizards » Tue May 05, 2015 11:37 am

Avery warm welcome

Sorry about the copy paste :mrgreen:

Which drive is better is always going to be a matter of opinion.

We love both, and would not be able to pic which is better, so will just highlight the differences.
• Night drive 2 hours, sunset 3 hours.
• Night drive cheaper
• Sunset usually has a good deal of full daylight and full night time, so a good medium.
• Night drives usually less people
• Only 1 set of clothes needed for night drive. Sunset drive you will usually start with a pile of clothes in a bag or in front of you and by the end they all on you.

I hope this helped. I maintain that if you can do both, then do it. But I would recommend that you do not book too many activities, or else your holiday becomes dominated by what time you need to be where for which activity.

Have an awesome visit.
September - Orpen, Talamati and Satara :P

Elsa

Unread postby Elsa » Wed May 06, 2015 9:54 am

FaBecky wrote:Currently we're looking at Sunset and Night drives from Croc Bridge and Olifants. Anyone have any suggestions or advice on what we should do?
Also, what's the difference between a night drive and an external night drive?

This is the response from SANParks PR

Lesley Nyawo wrote:Crocodile Bridge does offer the following drives:

1. Sunset Drive
Costs R384
Duration is 3 hours

2. Night Drive
Costs R303
Duration is 2 hours

The prices are the same for both National and International guest regardless of where the guest is staying.
Guests can contact Crocodile Bridge Camp on 013 735 6012 to book for the drives and further enquiries.Regards

Please not that Olifants does not do external drives.
Where ever you go, go with all your Heart.

George_Brits
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby George_Brits » Wed May 06, 2015 10:38 am

Just to add my 50 cents...

The sunset drives usually leave camp at 4pm and returns at 07:00pm

The night drives usually leave camp at 07:30pm and return at 09:00pm

chirinda
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby chirinda » Thu May 07, 2015 5:53 pm

Whichever one you choose, dress warmly, very warmly, it is freezing up on the truck, especially you will be there in June. I always take a blanket to wrap myself in as well as all the clothes, scarf, hat, etc etc etc. I think the wind chill when the vehicle is moving makes it so cold, never mind the nighttime temps.

FaBecky

Unread postby FaBecky » Fri May 08, 2015 6:29 pm

Thank you all for all the advice! We've booked ourselves on one of each now following these comments!
Went for a Sunset Drive at Croc Bridge. Very excited for that.
Good to know about the clothing too. Judging by your comments chirinda it might seem we underestimated a little bit how cold it gets in the winter, but we'll make sure to pack enough warm clothes now!

Thanks again, great so many people are posting advice and help on this forum. Very handy :D

gregdeklerk

Skukuza sunset drive or night drive?

Unread postby gregdeklerk » Wed May 13, 2015 7:40 am

We are going to Skuks in July and want to book a game drive. Would you recommend a sunset drive or night drive? Sunset obviously leaves earlier and is 3 hours and the night drive leaves later and is only 2 hours.

Return to “KNP Activities & Sightings”