Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 48 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Olifants Rest Camp
Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 9:57 am 

We are still taking out Mountain Bikes activities at Olifants camp, especially for those guests who booked in advance. On certain dates, we do close the activity when we can not get a free lance or relief guide to lead the activity as Morning walks are always booked on a daily basis. We currently have one first rifle guide ( John Adamson ) and two second rifle guides (Vusi and Pilot). We always struggle to get a first rifle guide to come and assist us with one or two activities. The River walks are also closed on a daily basis if the Afternoon walk is booked and if not, we sell it and conduct it for our guests.
We do conduct all the activities that are booked in advance for all our guests. We will honour the Morning bike for ...........
:dance: :dance:

This is the reply that I have received this morning from a san parks customer care officer. In other words if you have booked in advance they will honour it ( allegedly). So if anyone is there on 14th August, I am sure they can join us. Why it was booked for me when I rang I cant say!!!! :? I did ring in March tho.

I have to say when I called a month ago to try and book a bush braii I got a very grumpy lady on phone who just said 'we dont do bush braiis'! Yet, as pointed out on this forum these activities are being advertised on the Olifants web page. I overlooked the grumpy lady as the manager I had spoken to in March was so great.

Actually having said this, its my SO and 2 friends that are doing the ride, but actually it sounds more like drive, ride,walk, eat breakfast and then all in reverse.

I will be sure to let you all know how it went (if it went!).

Thanks to Duques

GA

Post subject: Mountain Bike Trails at Olifants Camp
Unread postPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 12:27 pm 
Guru
Guru

:shock: :shock: :shock: Good day Forumites,

All I can say today, is I can be very thankful that I am still here. Yesterday morning John and I got so close to our death it is not funny, it was the closest encounter that we got to, to be killed on our own activity.

Friday afternoon I went through to Olifants to assist with the Mountain Bike Trail of yesterday morning.

Yesterday (Saturday) morning came and we loaded the 6 guests bikes and off we went to the starting point. John gave the briefing and we started cycling. After a few kilometres we got Impalas and went down to the River and back on the bikes continue cycling when I heard Oxpeckers and saw the animal between the dense Mopane Trees. I jumped off my bike, went around the bush and there was a very badly injured Hippo. John joined me and as John arrived next to me the Hippo opened his mouth and we got the guests out of the way. Luckily the Hippo couldn't see us clearly and he turned towards the River.

We were still all full of the adrenalin rush and busy cycling, when we just heard something RIGHT NEXT to us!!!! As John and myself turned our heads to the noise all we could see was a Hippo head...

There was nothing, I am telling you, nothing we could do!!!!!! Our guardian Angel definitely protected us and the guests from being killed yesterday. Luckily the Hippo came for John and me and John just shouted Go! Go! Go! Go! Those 2 bikes of ours never went so fast in their lifetime!!!

As we looked back we just saw this big beast coming after us!!! His mouth open and shaking his head side to side and we JUST, telling you, JUST got out of his jaws. He luckily then turned to the River and we could just hear Mopane Trees bashing down to the ground.

Everything happened soooooooooo quickly and am very greatful we survived this unpleasant experience.

The guests were shaking, we were shocked and this thing is still playing off in my mind.

We then had our break where we walked down to the River to enjoy the lovely view over a Hippo pool and can't believe 1 of their speciemens almost killed us a few minutes ago.

Luckily we made our way back to the vehicle without dirtying our pants.

Ai ai ai ai ai, 2 seconds of my worst real nightmare!!!! :shock: :shock: :shock:

Post subject: Re: Phalaborwa Gate Sightings
Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 1:41 pm 
Guru
Guru

:D Hi everyone,

The question about the injured Hippo, that was not the 1 that gave us such a big shock. That injuries were definitely caused by another Hippo bull. That particular Hippo was to sore to run at us and when he couldn't see us anymore, because of the dense Mopanies he decided to move down to the river.

The Hippo that attacked us, was surprised by us. He was sleeping under a thick Mopanie bush and we didn't see it as we were cycling and he didn't hear us coming, because through previous experiences they sleep very deep when they do sleep. So the attack was more a defense meganism against us that surprised him.

Hope it is well explained now... :D

Unread postPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 12:36 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

I'm yet to write my TR (came back on Saturday) but will cover the mountain bike activity when I get round to it.

goafrica wrote:
The bikes have been replaced and they have 12 new raleigh mountain bikes.

We had some issues with the bikes on our trail. I've filled in the feedback form and would rather wait for a response from Sanparks (should one be forthcoming) before I write about it in the forums.

goafrica wrote:
John said that they do struggle to get enough guns for all the activities at Olifants, and that is why sometimes its difficult to book. They like a minimum of 6, but it depends what the demand for other activities is.

We booked for 3 people, but one had to pull out because he got ill.

goafrica wrote:
Also it seems people may be less than honest about their abilities and may not come properly equipped. Its an activity for the fit, and high heeled shoes wont wash. ( On a game walk at Satara a girl actually had heels on!)

The activity does require a reasonable level of fitness, fortunately both my friend and I are cyclists, and we'd just completed the backpack trail.

FGASA Level 1 Guide

Glen Reenen TR

15-18 June: Berg-en-dal

Unread postPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 11:38 pm 

Hi

My SO and 2 friends went on the cycle trail. The ranger will assess you for the level of the cycling. Although it says you can book the different levels actually it doesnt seem to work like that............mainly because just like with walks, people will say they have done Kilimanjaro, and then turn up in high heels!

All three of them had different cycling experiences, my SO cycles in town every day, one friend is a pretty serious cyclist, and the other is not much of a cyclist, but very very fit. They are all half marathon/marathon runners, so pretty fit people. The ranger took them on the route that suited the least experienced among them. However what our group were looking for was a bush experience and not demanding cycling. I'd say cycling 20 k regularly would be absolutely fine for this level. :thumbs_up: Having said this , my SO really enjoys morning walks.....and they are a lot cheaper.

They went in August when it was pretty cool, but the trip leaves at 5.15 am and they were back by 10am, so it wouldnt be hot. I will try and upload some photos, but obviously they wont be action shots as they were cycling!

Unread postPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 11:03 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

I still need to complete my TR, which will have some info on the mountain bike trail.

You should be fine fitness-wise. Off-roading is quite different from road cycling (I do both) but you should be able to adapt without too much trouble. My friend and I had just done the Olifants River Backpack Trail, which the guide knew, so I'm not sure which trail we did (easy, hard etc). I didn't find it strenuous (though my legs weren't so used to cycling). The pace we cycled at was pretty laid back.

The weather one can't predict, but its timed so that its during the cooler parts of the day.

FGASA Level 1 Guide

Glen Reenen TR

Unread postPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 11:55 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Floppi wrote:
I enjoy cycling on forest paths, but not going offroad downhill in the Alpes. Thanks to you I think I can manage it. :dance:

It's a pleasure. You cycle either on dirt roads or game (hippo) trails, so it shouldn't be too different from forest paths. Maybe we didn't make this clear before?

Good luck and I'm sure you'll enjoy it

FGASA Level 1 Guide

Glen Reenen TR

Post subject: Re: Recommended MTB trail at Olifants ?
Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 3:33 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

freeclimb-64 wrote:
Hi @ all,

can anyone recommend the one or the other MTB-Trail at Olifants?
Morning or afternoon, long&easy, short&strenous?

Afternoon, and long and easy
Why work too hard on your holiday? :)

Without having done the morning trail, I've heard that the afternoon trail is better value

FGASA Level 1 Guide

Glen Reenen TR

Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 3:38 am 

Hi @ all,

we did the mornig trail - extremely good decision! :dance:

As experienced MT-bikers - no sweat at all. :dance:
...but have a look at the two guides... :redface: uhhhh.... :whistle:

Anyway - it was a big, a great, a unique experience.
Just only 4 people: 2 Guides, my girlfriend and me. 8)
Around 18 k´s upstream, starting from a place near the H1-5
at (-24.013002° / 31.650885°).
It took us 2,5 hours riding & hiking.
Additional transport to & from the start.
Be prepared for a 2,5 to 3 hours MTB trail in extreme environment.
25°C (early morning in december) up to 35°C at 7:30 (december).
Carry water (approx. 3 liters) and some nutrition.
Special MTB-shoes are not needed, helmet would be nice,
gel-gloves reasonable, biking-pants necessary (no full suspension bikes).

Kind regards,

Achim.

dec 2010: Transfrontier

Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 1:27 pm 

Hi!

I am aware that bicycle riding is banned in the camps. But does anyone know if one would be allowed to bring along your own bike and take part in the MTB trail at Olifants?

Your input would be appreciated.

I SAY NO TO HOTEL DEVELOPMENTS IN KRUGER NATIONAL PARK!

Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 1:40 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

That's an interesting question. You'd probably be better off taking your own bike (and helmet) - see my post on the topic in the compliments and complaints section for more.
I'm not sure it would be worth the hassle, for a 3-hour ride?

FGASA Level 1 Guide

Glen Reenen TR

Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:06 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

You may bring your own trailworthy cycle .

KNP is sacred. I am opposed to the modernisation of Kruger and from the depths of my soul long for the Kruger of yesteryear! 1000+km on foot in KNP incl 56 wild trails.200+ nights in the wildernessndloti-indigenous name for serval.

Post subject: Safari on mountain bike
Unread postPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 8:45 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Does anybody know about game rides on mountain bikes in Kruger along the Olifants river. The rides only start from the Olifants camp and are guided by Lourens Botha. They are supposed to have started in september 2003???

Post subject: Re: Safari on mountain bike
Unread postPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 9:11 am 
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

Micetta, have a look here.

Feel free to use any of these additional letters to correct the spelling of words found in the above post: a-e-t-n-d-i-o-s-m-l-u-y-h-c

Post subject: Re: Safari on mountain bike
Unread postPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 9:13 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

I've done one Micetta.
I didn't post too much information on it, except for some complaints and suggestions in the appropriate forum. I don't think I'd do it again to be honest (but worth doing once).
In the future I'd probably spend my money on a morning walk instead.

FGASA Level 1 Guide

Glen Reenen TR