Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 307 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 21  Next
 Post subject: Re: Mphongolo Back Pack Trail
Unread postPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 9:18 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Strider, thanks for the report. It sounds amazing.

How easy/feasible would it be to organise two back-back to trails, and stay in the wilderness for 6 nights? ndloti, you interested?

FGASA Level 1 Guide

Glen Reenen TR

15-18 June: Berg-en-dal

Unread postPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 10:47 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Strider wrote:
We swam in hot springs

Was this at Malahlapanga ?

Strider :thumbs_up: .
So well stated !

joshilewis wrote:
How easy/feasible would it be to organise two back-back to trails, and stay in the wilderness for 6 nights? ndloti, you interested?

That is an exciting idea !
It would be a possibility - though surely would have to go back to Shingwezi for a resupply - or could supplies be brought to us ?

KNP is sacred. I am opposed to the modernisation of Kruger and from the depths of my soul long for the Kruger of yesteryear! 1000+km on foot in KNP incl 56 wild trails.200+ nights in the wildernessndloti-indigenous name for serval.

Unread postPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 10:57 am 

ndloti wrote:

Was this at Malahlapanga ?

Hot springs were at Matiovila, not far from Ribye Windmill - awesome!

joshilewis wrote:

As far as I know there are guests who have already booked to do so. So more than possible

Unread postPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 12:10 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

ndloti wrote:
joshilewis wrote:
That is an exciting idea !
It would be a possibility - though surely would have to go back to Shingwezi for a resupply - or could supplies be brought to us ?

I reckon I could carry enough food for 6 days in my pack, if we're not walking too far. Will have to wash underpants/socks tho :P

Strider wrote:
joshilewis wrote:
As far as I know there are guests who have already booked to do so. So more than possible
Great news.
The hot springs sound amazing too

FGASA Level 1 Guide

Glen Reenen TR

Unread postPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 1:21 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: Looks and sounds unbelievably good...... Thanks for the feedback and pics :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 3:00 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Who would consider making up a group (minimum of 4) for 30 May 2010 ?

KNP is sacred. I am opposed to the modernisation of Kruger and from the depths of my soul long for the Kruger of yesteryear! 1000+km on foot in KNP incl 56 wild trails.200+ nights in the wildernessndloti-indigenous name for serval.

Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 4:19 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2012)
ndloti wrote:
Who would consider making up a group (minimum of 4) for 30 May 2010 ?

If it is wheelchair friendly, I will join. Unfortunately my knees have tendered their resignation and I have to go for an operation. But as Gen MacArthur has said "I will return"

Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 9:22 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Hey Backpackers :lol:

I've been so quiet as I'm just running out of time each day, need 36 hours in one day. Wish I didn't needa sleep :tongue:

This backpack trail is currently my first choice!! Met some of the guys on the first Sunday of April 2010, who were ready to leave for the trail... Nice to see some familiar faces again!

As I get it, this trail offers what the Olifants lacks... You can walk it more relaxed, if the group is tired. If there is no flowing river, you gotta dig yourself a jacuzzi :whistle: However, I heard some took with a heavy 5l of water. That's 25% of my 'maximum' carrying capacity :shock:

Have spoken with Donavan, said it's possible to do it back to back (Olifants) so i'm sure if you really want, 6 nights in the wilderness is quite possible. MAN I would love that!!

Eugene... I'd LOVE to, but same probs as Ndloti... There is something called work, and there is a BOSS :lol: :twisted:

I'm planning on booking if for next year 27 April 2010 to 30 April 2010. As it seems now I already have a group of 8 together with several people who can possibly take any spaces falling open....

One day I will once again maybe organise a forum walk. Since my last walk I had sooo many people who wanted to do this too :thumbs_up: Thinking of making these backpack trails my yearly pilgrimage. :thumbs_up:

SOOOO EXCITED - 1 May I'll be booking!!!!! :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 9:03 pm 

Ok ok ok ... I am hooked!

I just came back to Germany after having done the Olifants Trail (but not the BPT...), Tusker Trail and an Ecotraining with lots of walking, too. But somehow the idea to do a Backpacking Trail just sticked - and what you are writing in this forum sounds as of the Mphongolo Trail would be just made for me. :D

I have placed reservations for 24th and 27th of October - unfortunately there is work and a boss over here in Germany, too, and therefore I will have to do the trail at that time although it might get a bit hot already...

Now I can just keep my fingers crossed that at least one of the trail will get enough participants. If any of you would like to join in I would be more than happy.

Many greetings to SA,
Zappel

Unread postPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 3:05 pm 
Guru
Guru

On the 25th i did a trail with some journalist,

They will hopefully have a good trip report and some advice for some of you that are interested in this trail.

We walked the area west of Ponda Hills along the Bububu, good rain had fallen the previous week so the ground was saturated and all the small streams flowing. grass was tall and wet in the morning but the area really beautiful at this time of the year, lots of birds and flowers.
First night we had lion roaring and leopards sawing and hyenas whooping all night long,even a elephant came to visit. In the morning we went about two Km before getting the tracks of the lion from when they where walking during the night, we tracked them and found them about 2.3Km later. two big males sleeping in a open area. later we bumped 3 rhino and tracked a herd of 400 plus buff and had a good view of them. in the afternoon we had a view of a leopard in a tree but he picked us up and was gone.
The trail was superbe and i hope the journalists found it as relaxing and fascinating as the other guest on the trail and you get an interesting article to read.

Unread postPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 5:00 pm 

Hi - sorry about the late posting of this trail - we took out some journalists and one client from New Zealand (our fist international) from the 15th to the 18th of April 2010 we walked from the Mphongolo / Phugwane confluence and walked as far as the zari river mouth camping two nights in the Phugwane river (about 4km from the start and then close to Zari mouth) and one night at the Matiovila thermal spring. We had an awsome time! with great animal sightings and lots of nice clear water to drink from pools in the river. The bush was green and the pans were full. We heard nightjars, giant eagle & scops owl, jackal, hyaena, lion and leopard at night - plus many more. Had some wonderful bird sightings, including - saddle billed storks, ground hornbills and giant eagle owls. We came acrross some beautiful trees - huge Nyala Mopane and leadwood trees - the grass was long and wet from the dew. We visited the Zari boer graves and had a hot bath in the thermal springs. We bumped into elephant herds and bulls, had sundowners with a herd of buffalo that came down to drink at the Zari mouth waterhole and then bumped into a hyeana in the twilight on our way back to camp. We had an incredible sighting of a leopard that was behaving very nonchalantly towards us when some members of the group were having their bath in the river in the late afternoon of the 2nd night. He was marking his territory and proceeded to walk very close to us, within 15m, ignoring us completely and eventually we had to shout at him to prevent him getting too close after which he walked a little up the bank and then turned around and watched us. We also had an interesting sighting of an impala ewe who could not easily see us becuase of the length of the tall guinea grass growing on the bank of the river and then hopped up on its back legs not unlike a gerenuk to see where we were! the animals in these parts are not use to seeing people! A great trail was had by all!

Unread postPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 5:23 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Such an exceptional leopard interaction ... !

Unread postPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 9:03 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Bathing in the hot springs sounds awesome. I really have to do this trail soon. Will try start making arrangements

FGASA Level 1 Guide

Glen Reenen TR

Unread postPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 1:16 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

ndloti wrote:
Such an exceptional leopard interaction ... !

Indeed a rare experience !! Thanks for sharing Porcupine (nice first post :mrgreen: ) I've BOOKED the trail for 27 - 30 May 2011, and chuffed I am :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Unread postPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 1:56 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Porcupine wrote:
We also had an interesting sighting of an impala ewe who could not easily see us becuase of the length of the tall guinea grass growing on the bank of the river and then hopped up on its back legs not unlike a gerenuk to see where we were! the animals in these parts are not use to seeing people!

As well as the impala sighting - animals not used to seeing people - I have to get there .

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 307 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 21  Next