Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 307 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21
 Post subject: Re: Mphongolo Back Pack Trail
Unread postPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 9:53 pm 

I have just spent a lovely hour reading all the wonderful trail reports in this thread. Thank you to you all.

So it is looking like my next trip to Kruger is going to be in November when the Mphongolo will still be running and I would so love to do this trail.

In March I was lucky enough to do the Lonely Bull Trail which was such an incredible experience. The participants turned out to be 5 friends from Jo’burg, all guys aged between 28 and 32, Mark, the lead guide, Stanley the ranger and little old me. When I arrived at the departure point and found out that it was 5 strapping young men and myself I wondered if perhaps I should start looking in the mirror and realise that I am not as young as I think I am! But, as it turned out, I was more than capable and I need not have had my moment of self-doubt. What an amazing four days that was!

Judging by the posts (and the fact that I thought noone was going to book the Lonely Bull in March) it does seem that I will be very lucky to find 3 other people to do the Mphongolo trail with me in November ........but you get nowhere without asking. So, if any of you have a backpacking trail on your things-to-do-list, allow me to twist your arm and tell you that it will be an experience to treasure or, if any of you trailists are intending to do another one please let me know what dates you are thinking of.

I haven't booked my flights yet (coming from Barcelona) but, at the moment, it looks like I may be in Kruger to do the trail on 9th, 13th, 16th or 20th November.

Unread postPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 7:33 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Please keep us up to date with your plans, I'd love to join you if I can

FGASA Level 1 Guide

Glen Reenen TR

15-18 June: Berg-en-dal

Unread postPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:24 am 

Hi Josh of the Bushveld,

Well my flights are now booked! Soon after I posted on the board, I found a cheaper flight flying out of Budapest (never been to Hungary) and into London (will pop over to Dublin for a few days afterwards to see my kids).

I fly into Jo'burg early on 7th November and fly out late on 22nd November and, as usual, will be spending every moment in Kruger ............. so the dates that I can definitely do the Mphongolo are 10th, 13th or 17th November. It would be so great if we can get the minimum of four!!!

I am living in hope and cannot wait to get my idea of Heaven, Kruger National Park.

Last edited by mandym on Sat Jul 13, 2013 11:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Unread postPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 6:31 pm 

The Mphongolo Backpack Trail departure point has officially been moved back to Shingwedzi Rest Camp as from 7 July 2013.

Unread postPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 11:48 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

I've booked the MBPT 13th to 16th April this year and after reading this whole thread, WOW!! :big_eyes:

I cant wait any longer...

Unread postPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 9:19 pm 

You lucky thing! Unfortunately, my November departure did not go ahead as there were not enough people.

However, always look on the good side because if I had been on the trail I would not have been on the S100 at 7am on 16th November to witness a cheetah teaching her three cubs how to kill. It was incredible! Two of the cubs chased a baby impala and were literally a metre from my car staring at each other and looking like they were saying "Now what? Are we friends? Should we play?" Such a privilege.

I am hoping to get back to Kruger and do one of the backpacking trails.....maybe the Lonely Bull again or maybe the Mphongolo.

Have a wonderful time in April......it will be such an experience. :D

Mandy

Unread postPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 11:03 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Thanks mandym, really looking forward to it :dance:

They say everything happens for a reason... what a wonderful sighting of the cheetah and cubs...a once in a lifetime experience!!

Hopefully you will be able to do one of the backpack trails soon :wink:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 307 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21