Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 345 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23  Next
 Post subject: Re: Phalaborwa Gate Sightings
Unread postPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 11:00 am 
Guru
Guru

:D That evening another great drive with many special sightings. Found a Red Crested Korhaan and manage to get him to shoot up into the air, like last night's drive and found Buffaloes, Zebras at Ngwenyeni waterhole. This was the 1st day we found the Hyeanas being back at the tar road, with their cubs staying in the drain pipes below the road. We found many chameleons all over, and on the tar road before Masorini on our way back a Spotted Thickknee father and mother with their 2 little chicks. It was a real special sighting, seeing also how the parents used the vehicle lights to catch insects and feeding it to the young ones. We then only found our 1st Elephant sighting before Masorini, and another few to follow after that, and in between a Steenbok and a snake in the road.

Sunday morning on the rainy walk, we first found Zebras, and while walking in the clay soils, with our feet becoming heavier and heavier as the shoes kept on picking up more and more mud, we spotted 3 Rhino's far, but very far in the distance. Luckily it was a walk and as we started walking into that direction we found more Zebras and then right in front of us another White Rhino with tiny little calf. Of course abondend the Rhino's in the distance and spent some time with the 2 nearby. Had breakfast after the mother and calf moved off and on our way back to the vehicle found a herd of Buffaloes and an Elephant at the vehicle.
:D

Unread postPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 11:05 am 
Guru
Guru

:D Monday the 28th of October I went out on a early drive and found Buffaloes after Masorini, Kudus, Giraffes, and many Elephant Bulls.

The next day's night drive's special sightings were the Lesser Bushbaby and a Boomslang we spotted in the tree on our way back to the gate.

On the 30th of October my Lion buffalo Video was shown on Kwêla and it now made the FINALS!!!

The next morning on the walk at Ngwenyeni waterhole we found the Hyeanas at the den on the way the walk and on the walk some Impalas, Zebras, and Buffalo Bulls. That evening I measured 38 mm's of rain at my place, and Letaba around 56mm's. That was the rain which changed the bush to be green and dense once again. :D

Unread postPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 11:12 am 
Guru
Guru

:D That evening before we got some more rain, we found a herd of Buffaloes and a herd of Elephants 4 km's from the gate when we got the message that there is a Cheetah at Masorini. We then went there, but no luck with the Cheetah. We then took the Shikumbu little gravel road and went passed the Hyeana Den at the S131 Gravel road and H14 tar road T-junction.

On the way back at Shikumbu we found 7 Wild Dogs running in the road, and not long after some Zebras and Giraffes.

The next morning on our way to Letaba on the gravel road we found 4 herds of Buffaloes, MANY Giraffes, Elephants, Zebras, Impalas, Kudus and early in the morning the Hyeanas at the den.

On the 2nd of November 2013 on our Morning Walk we have seen Zebras, Impalas, and 4 Buffalo bulls. After all the rain the animals disappeared a bit, but luckily on the Morning Drive on the 3rd we followed 2 Wild Dogs running up towards Ngobeni, now and then stop in the road and started calling the rest of the pack, with no respond, and these 2 just carried on proceeding on their search... We luckily in the cold weather seen some Elephant Bulls, Giraffes and Zebras.

Unread postPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 11:20 am 
Guru
Guru

:D Tuesday morning I decided I wanted to try a new walking area, and just as we started to walk we found a group of Zebras. After that 2 Buffalo Bulls and later another 3 in the distance. I managed to get a few Golden Brown Baboon Spiders out of their holes and after the 2nd one, I convinced the guests to hold 1 in their hands. At breakfast on a small hill with Zebras behind us, and a herd of Buffaloes grazing towards our right, I later as we started packing up to leave, seen a Male lion running out next to the stream towards where the Zebras were. 10 to 1 he saw or smelled us and made sure he gets away from us. What luck it was to have seen it, and that after finding 4 Lionnesses and a young male just before Masorini on our way to the walking area.

On that evening's Night Drive we went up the S131 gravel road, tar road passed Shikumbu, left onto the H9- Letaba tar road and after finding the Lions at the Sable Dam loop- Shikumbu little gravel road- Letaba tar road T-junction we turned back to the gate. We have also seen many Buffalo bulls, Giraffes, Impalas, Baboons at Ngwenyeni waterhole, Hyeanas at the den, and our only Elephant just before finding the Lions.

Unread postPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 11:26 am 
Guru
Guru

:D The next morning heading to where we found the Lions the previous night on the Morning Drive we started off with Giraffes and Buffaloes 2 km's from the gate. We then found the 3 young Lionnesses with their mother and a young male just before Erfplaas. They drank water at a pan next to the road, and eventually after sitting on a termite mount waiting for the sun to heat them up, they moved into the bush. We seen Elephant bulls, Warthogs, more and more Giraffes, a herd of Buffaloes, and the Hyeanas at the den.

The Morning walk on the the Thursday the 7th, was not very productive with the big mammals, but more the smaller things, but have seen a Warthog, Kudu Bulls and Steenbok.

That evening I had the best Hyeana sighting up to so far. We found at Ngwenyeni waterhole after a very hot day, like today and the last 3 days, the Hyeanas bathing in a pan. They really enjoyed themselves, and calling and chasing each other around!!!! My next video competition, haahhaa.

Unread postPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 11:35 am 
Guru
Guru

:D Monday the 11th November on the S131 gravel road we seen Buffalo Bulls, Giraffes x 3, Impalas and Zebras. Found only 1 young Hyeana at the den, and went up to Ngobeni and back. Luckily found a Large Spotted Genet in a Leadwood Tree at Nandzana waterhole that broke the sighting drought. No Elephants for that drive.

The next morning with the same guests we had better luck. Went up the tar road, took the Marhumbyeni gravel road, and back on the S131 gravel road. Beginning it was quiet, but at the end finished off with seeing 5 Lions on the S131 close to the T-junction of the Shimuwini road and the S131 gravel roads. Found Elephants and Buffaloes there after and in between Zebras, Giraffes and Impalas.

Seen also a Coribustard and Ground Hornbills calling from their nest at Shikumbu.

2 nights ago on the Night Drive we once again seen many Buffalo Bulls and Giraffes on the S131 gravel road, found for the 1st time 2 youngish Hyeana Cubs at the den, 1 Elephant Bull not too happy with us watching him, and not long after a herd of Elephants with the same behaviour as the Bull. While having Sundowners we had Zebras and Impalas coming out to rest in the open area for the evening. As we got the the Letaba- Phalaborwa T-junction we found the 3 young Lionnesses with their mother. They soon moved off the road, and we came back to the gate. :D

Unread postPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 11:42 am 
Guru
Guru

:D Yesterday morning on the S131 where we walked we only found the sun's heat and luckily 1 Impala and some Zebras running by, towards a pan to drink.

Last night we went up the S131 gravel road, made our way to Shikumubu where we found a few Buffalo Sightings on the gravel road, a few Zebras, managed to get the Korhaan as mentioned previously to fly up the air, and once again the Zebras and Impalas at the Sundowners. We then drove around Sable Dam where we found our 1st Elephant Sighting after the Sable Birdhide and a hippo in the dam. As we got almost back to the tar road a Lionness made her appearance on the right side of the road, but soon after that her disappearance.

Also found some Spring Hare behind Sable Dam.

Sjoe that was a mouth full, and luckily a great year's sightings with fond memories and scary experiences in between, now just to see MY 1st baby Impalas. Some guests have seen some already...

All that said, my sightings are up to date and will soon have more updated news out of the bush... :D

Unread postPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 12:59 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Forumite of the Year & Travel Tale of the Year, Other Parks (2013)
it seems there is often Wild Dogs, not a big pack, but Wild Dogs :dance: :dance:

thank you for all these reports :clap: :clap: :clap:

Unread postPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 11:36 am 
Guru
Guru

:D Yesterday morning on my 6 hour game drive we went to Letaba for breakfast and back. As the last couple of days found some Buffalo Bulls close to the gate, a Warthog next to a Termite Mount, and some Giraffes, Zebras and Impalas about 500 m's up the H14-Mopanie tar road.

No Hyeanas at the den, but did find a female making her way back to the den about 2 km's up the S131. We have seen 2 elephant Bulls, but far in the distance. We found more and more Zebras and Buffaloes on the gravel road, and after breakfast went along the river where we seen a young Saddle Billed Stork, Vervet Monkeys, Waterbuck and Hippo's.

On our way back on the tar road we spent some time with a herd of Buffaloes that at the end surrounded us, as they crossed the road, and before Hlanganini Dam a little herd of Elephants.

Johan found Lions at the Letaba low water bridge on the H14 tar road on last night's drive. :D

Unread postPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 11:45 am 
Guru
Guru

:D This morning we found a Wild Dog quickly disappearing out of the road on our way to the walking area. Everything was sooooo fresh after last night's rain, all the insects, frogs were enjoying the cool breeze, hopping and flying around. Not long after we started walking we spotted 2 White Rhino's, a mother with her sub-adult calf. I must say, it has been a very very long time, that I had such a good sighting of Rhino.

We followed the Rhino's for about 40 minutes, from one big tree to the termite mount to the next big thick bush to the next termite mount... Eventually the Impalas ran away to our right and the Rhino's just kept on feeding peacefully. During this 40 minutes we heard Elephants trumpeting and eventually when we left the Rhino's we went into the trumpeting noise direction.

It wasn't long when we found the Elephant bulls. We decided to have breakfast on a termite mount, viewing the Elephants, and as we packed the breakfast out, the 2 Rhino's made their appearance again. So we had breakfast viewing Elephant bulls to our left and Rhino's to our right, with the beautiful clear sky and viewing the horizon, valleys and hills around us.

There are many flowers out at the moment, and the birds are enjoying the new day, which the rain brought along.

Unread postPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 11:37 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Magic! Thanks for all the updates and sharing your most recent elephant and rhino sightings? :lol: :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:35 pm 
Guru
Guru

:D :D :D AS YOU ALL KNOW MY LION-BUFFALO VIDEO MADE THE FINALS ON KWELA TELEVISION PROGRAMME!!! THE VOTING LINES ARE OPEN!!! VOTE BUFFEL TO 33157.

VOTES CLOSING ON 26 NOVEMBER 12:00.

A MAXIMUM OF 30 VOTES CAN BE SENT FROM ANY SOUTH AFRICAN OR NAMIBIAN CELLPHONE NUMBER. IF YOU VOTE, YOU ALSO STAND A CHANCE OF WINNING A 4X4 ECHO TRAILER.

I CAN'T DO THIS WITHOUT MY FRIENDS AND FAMILY'S SUPPORT!!!! I NEED ALL 30 VOTES FROM AS MANY PEOPLE AS POSSIBLE. IMAGINE IF I WIN THE R260 000 4X4 CARAVAN!!!!

SO PLEASE YOUR VOTES COUNT IN MY FAVOUR!!!!

The video is on youtube- Kwela- Buffel

Thank you for the support!!!!!

Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:40 pm 
Guru
Guru

:D :D HERE IS THE LINK OF THE VIDEO:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ExR3XEQu0U8

:D :D :D

Unread postPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 10:31 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Forumite of the Year & Travel Tale of the Year, Other Parks (2013)
superb video :clap: :clap:
I can't vote :doh: do you have a no. for foreigners ?????

Unread postPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 12:43 pm 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
Firstly Congratulations !!! on your wonderful achievements so far. :thumbs_up:

Had to catch up from page 17 up to date and enjoyed the daily account. :clap:

Great video. :thumbs_up: ..Voted and holding thumbs. :pray:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 345 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23  Next