SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 345 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 23  Next
 Post subject: Re: Phalaborwa Gate Sightings
Unread postPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 1:30 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Some photo from Lourens :

This White Faced Owl was spotted on our Night Drive on our way back from Reënvoël Dam.

The Elephants were the ones which we found at Ngwenyeni waterhole just before we got the Wild Dogs with the pups.

The Wild Dogs

The currents that shape our lives, flow from the attitudes we nurture everyday!

Unread postPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 1:34 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Some more..

A Praying Manthis we found on the Morning Walk.

The same Lionness that caught the baby Giraffe, which this time caught a Zebra at Nandzana waterhole.

Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 8:05 pm 

A few images as promised
Start of the walk
Donnavan
Lourens scanning the area. Image
Donnovan explaining the detailImage
Lourens closing in on an elephant bullImage
Bokdrol spoeg..Lourens won, and the Germans refused to put it in their mouths!!
BreakfastImage
Ellie close up!Image
Thank you all again!!

Unread postPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 1:00 pm 

Dakka, no reason that you can't post here. For those of you that can't get here to see it, here is a pic. :wink:

Unread postPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 11:57 am 
Guru
Guru

:D Greetings from a Hot Phalaborwa,

Where do I start today??? What can I tell you??? It's been a busy month and a very long time I haven't posted anything on the website, but I will share some sightings and stories with you.

After the Malopeni Eco Trail I still did lots of office work and made sure all my duties were done by the time Donavan returned from his leave. I went off from the 10th to the 16th and wrote my exam and passed the subject I had to redone this year and now officially completed my B-Tech Degree in Nature Conservation, got the results yesterday!!! I am sooo happy :dance: !!!

Before I left for the exam I did a Night Drive and 2 Morning Walks. It was a bit quiet with only some Giraffe and Impala sightings, but the birdlife were good, with the Diedericks Cuckoo, Jacobin Cuckoo, Striped Cuckoo, Plum Coloured Starlings that returned and the Leopard tortoises and snakes that became active again.

On the 17th Donavan and I did a walk before the rain started and kept on raining for a whole 3 and half days!!! Everything was wet and the whole bush became alive after that, but of course the activities were a bit quiet and I just relaxed in the rainy weather. The activities which did go out delivered some special sightings like the Night Drive where I found the Lionness behind Masorini with a tiny cub, busy suckling and the proud mother just watched us with eagle eyes.

The nice thing of my job is the sightings are NEVER EVER the same and on every activity there is at least 1 special sighting as on Saturday where I found my first African Bullfrog, a Lesser Bush Baby in this area and the frogs just brought another life to the bush during night time.

Sunday (22 November) Johan and I had a Sunset Walk and we went and walked behind Shikumbu where we found a couple of Elephant Bulls and the special sighting to me was a tiny Common Duiker lamb, my first ever!!!! It was soooo cute and disappeared very quickly between the green Mopane bushes. That evening Pierre helped us with the Night Drive and he had 2 different sightings of White Rhino on the Mopane road.

Monday Donavan and I did a Sunset Walk and we followed 2 young Elephant Bulls for a long time as they were peacefully browsing on the fresh leaves of Knobthorns and Mopane trees. I must say before the walk we went out looking for a dead Elephant on the Letaba tar road which have been reported to the Section Ranger, but we couldn't find it, but found a BLACK RHINO instead with some Buffaloes in the vicinity!!!! He was standing in the shade and just watched the vehicles stopping and driving passed and wasn't bothered by the crowd, unbelievable, my 1st Black Rhino in the North!!!

Tuesday (24 November) I had a Full Day Safari and found a Fork Tailed Drongo with her tiny chick in the nest and the smallest Warthog piglets, ai it is soooo nice to see the summer brought new life to the bush!!! Found my 1st Impala Lamb for the season yesterday and

last night on the Night Drive it started with very few sightings but at the end, ended with us seeing a Black Mamba, Mosambican Spitting Cobra, Spotted Hyeana Cubs running after all the insects, Elephant, my 1st time to see a tiny Small Spotted Genet drinking from his mom, the Woodland Kingfishers that are back for a while now, and everything that is soooo much more greener than a week ago and of course the beautiful night sky with Orion, Taurus the Bull and the Pleiades that are bright and shining at night time.

I wish you all a lovely day until the next report... :D

Unread postPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 10:25 am 
Guru
Guru

:D Good morning forumites!!!

Tuesday morning Donavan and I went and discover a new area I haven't walk before, the Northern Malopeni block. We didn't see much game, but did find a very special sighting...

It was a GoldenBrown Baboon spider that was in the pincers of a Parabuthus sp. Scorpion. We got at the scene, just as the spider broke loose from the Scorpion's pincers and unfortunately he lost a leg during the fight. Don't know if the Scorpion stung him, but the spider was definitely in shock.
The natural pans are full of water and had our breakfast next to the Malopeni stream.

The evening on my Night Drive my gut feeling told me to go to Erfplaas and so I eventually ended up there after we found Elephant, lots of Impalas, Zebras and while watching the Baboons sitting on the 1 hill I heard the Lions roar. I drove passed Erfplaas in Letaba's direction and got fresh urine on the road, as I turned around 100 metres in front of us the 2 male Lions came walking towards us. Unfortunately they disappeared into the bush, going into the direction from where the females were roaring from.

Yesterday morning Donavan and I went to another area we haven't walked yet and got a sleeping White Rhino with her calf, some Buffaloes and Impalas on the walk.

Last night the drive delivered the Lion cub at Masorini, the 2 male Lions 4 km's after Erfplaas with 2 Elephants, a African Wild Cat on the way back and 2 Chameleons.

This morning Dave and I went to walk in another new area and ai we had a stunning sighting. I stopped to talk about a Giant Land Snail when he scanned the area from a Termite Mount and suddenly a African Wild Cat came running out of the mount, he went down to look where he was coming from and as he looked into the hole, there he saw 2 tiny little kittens!!!! He called me and there they were, crawling around, still soooo small their eyes weren't even open yet!!! I knew that was my special sighting for the week!!!

Further along the walk we got to a natural pan, and I saw something moving and thought it is a Terrapin (Fresh Water turtle) and suddenly saw but it has a long body!!! It was only the African Rock Python's head sticking out, I tried to lift it with a long stick, but he went deeper into the pool and couldn't see it anymore. We definitely had 2 great sightings on the walk which I doubt I will see soon again.

Enjoy your day... :D

Unread postPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 8:20 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Morning Everyone :yaya:

Just thought to let you guys know that Lourens will be featuring in a Tv program that was recorded when we did the Malopeni Trail. The first part of the Malopeni Trail was shown in the previous episode but the part where the camping site and the rest of the trail is shown will follow, and is really worth watching. These are the show times I got from their web page.

4WD- TAKE A DEEP BREATH EPS. 12 22-Dec-09 20:30:00 21:00:00 SuperSport Six

4WD- TAKE A DEEP BREATH EPS. 12 22-Dec-09 20:30:00 21:00:00 SuperSport Six Africa

4WD- TAKE A DEEP BREATH EPS. 12 23-Dec-09 09:30:00 10:00:00 SuperSport Two

4WD- TAKE A DEEP BREATH EPS. 12 23-Dec-09 09:30:00 10:00:00 SuperSport Two Africa

4WD- TAKE A DEEP BREATH EPS. 12 24-Dec-09 11:30:00 12:00:00 SuperSport Two

4WD- TAKE A DEEP BREATH EPS. 12 24-Dec-09 11:30:00 12:00:00 SuperSport Two Africa

4WD- TAKE A DEEP BREATH EPS. 12 25-Dec-09 13:30:00 14:00:00 SuperSport Two

4WD- TAKE A DEEP BREATH EPS. 12 25-Dec-09 13:30:00 14:00:00 SuperSport Two Africa

4WD- TAKE A DEEP BREATH EPS. 12 26-Dec-09 20:00:00 20:30:00 SuperSport Two

4WD- TAKE A DEEP BREATH EPS. 12 26-Dec-09 20:00:00 20:30:00 SuperSport Two Africa

4WD- TAKE A DEEP BREATH EPS. 12 27-Dec-09 15:00:00 15:30:00 SuperSport Five

4WD- TAKE A DEEP BREATH EPS. 12 27-Dec-09 15:00:00 15:30:00 SuperSport Five Africa

4WD- TAKE A DEEP BREATH EPS. 12 28-Dec-09 22:30:00 23:00:00 SuperSport Two

4WD- TAKE A DEEP BREATH EPS. 12 28-Dec-09 22:30:00 23:00:00 SuperSport Two Africa

If you would want to look at the web page here it is: http://www.4xforum.com/?showcontent&global[_id]=372

Unread postPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 1:00 pm 
Guru
Guru

:D Image
A Kingfisher I saw after Ngobeni on the little loop road along the
Ngewyeni stream.

The young Forktailed Drongo.

Wild Dog close to Phalaborwa Gate in October.

Mopane Worms.

Millipede Assin beetles, feeding on a Millipede.

Last edited by Lourens on Fri Jan 08, 2010 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Unread postPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 1:25 pm 
Guru
Guru

Stunning Sunset over Sable Dam.

I spotted it on a little Mopane branch on the Bush Braai road (Old 4x4 Nonokani road).

Some of the guests, the view from our breakfast spot on one of our walks.

Golden Brown Baboon Spider, I fished out after breakfast.

Mother and baby.

Mating time again.

Our walk at Nanzana, at a natural pan, the 1 Rhino is taking a bath.

These 28 pictures will be it for now, hope you enjoyed it until later then.

Bye... :D

Unread postPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:20 am 
Guru
Guru

On the Malopeni Eco Trail Route

On my previous Night Drive before I went off for a few days(African Bullfrog- Lesser Bullfrog).

Pearl Spotted Owl on that same Night Drive.

The Male Lion we found on that Night Drive and then starting to roar. :D

Unread postPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:33 am 
Guru
Guru

:D Friday evening's Night Drive

The Elegant Grasshoppers doing their thing.

The mother and her 2 Leverets.

Unread postPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 9:49 pm 
Guru
Guru

:D Tonight's Night Drive:

Water Lily.

Our Sunset tonight.

The Elephant enjoying himself at the Reservoir.

The other herd we found on our way back.

Enjoy... :D

Unread postPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 4:07 pm 

Lourens wrote:
:Image
A Elephant Cow with big tusks and her young calf underneath her stomach.
Lourens, that is a very nice Female tusker, wonder if she is named, maybe Aat would know? Have a look Here

Unread postPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 1:35 pm 
Guru
Guru

:popcorn:

More to come...

Unread postPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 11:59 am 
Guru
Guru

:D Greetings,

Sunday the 2nd of May I did the special Night Drive for 2 guests and went up the S131, Mankavi low maintenance road and set a table up with finger snacks and as you could see on the photo it was really beautiful. On our way there we got some Waterbuck, Impalas and after the supper drove on a maintenance road next to the River and got lots of Buffaloes, a Genet and a few Chameleons. At Ngobeni we found the 2 male Lions and the awesome thing was that they started roaring and at that stage the 1 was right next to us. About 50 metres further we got a breeding herd of Elephants and the Lions walked off the road. Spotted Hyeanas, Spotted Eagle Owl, Giraffe and Zebras were also seen on the way back to the gate.

Tuesday evening on the Bush Braai drive we found the 2 Elephant Bulls at our sundowner spot and ai it was a stunning sighting with the Sunset behind them.

Wednesday it was time for my 1st Olifants River Backpack Trail for the Season and started off with 3 days of very hot weather. The River is quite full and with all the pans in the bush still filled up with water we didn't see much, but everytime after a long hot day we enjoyed cooling ourselves off in the Olifants River. The stunning Sunsets and Sunrises and the Hippo's calling, while sitting around the fire at night time was quite special to all of us, and of course listening to the Blue Bulls vs Crusaders Super 14 Rugby Game over the Radio was 1 of the few Highlights for some of us :)

The 2nd morning we had a Elephant that came to drink water and in the early hours of dawn it sketched a beautiful picture in our mind which we will always remember.

The Hippo that jumped up underneath the Large Leaved Fever Berries made sure we were all awake and ready for another day along the River.

We did found lots of Giraffes and all the funny talks over Siesta time with new friends been made was also something to be remembered for a long time.

Thank you for the group from Pretoria, for all the laughs and stories been told and that we could have shared our experiences with you.

Monday morning Donavan and I did a walk and was such a nice time in the bush, watching a tiny Giraffe, his mother and a Elephant coming our way, while the Lions kept on roaring from Sable Hide's area.

This morning on the walk Abel and I found 2 Elephant Bulls.

Until later!!!! :D

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 345 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 23  Next