Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 161 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next
 Post subject: Hikes and snakebites
Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 1:59 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

In my opinion you need not be over concerned about snake bites on trail .
I have seen dangerous snakes only 3 or 4 times in about 800 - 1000 km of walking in the KNP .
I stepped over a large puffadder on two occasions in one day on Wolhuter (or was it Bushmans trail) , and saw a long mamba in Nyalaland trail camp , as well as the tail of a cobra disappearing into hole on Metsi trail .

KNP is sacred. I am opposed to the modernisation of Kruger and from the depths of my soul long for the Kruger of yesteryear! 1000+km on foot in KNP incl 56 wild trails.200+ nights in the wildernessndloti-indigenous name for serval.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 6:00 am 

We did Sweni in Dec 07, and we definitely weren't using any solar lanterns and I didn't notice solar panels (mind you I wasn't really looking for them either). Two of the brothers who were also doing the trail ran into this problem and their battery died half-way through Sweni as they didn't realize there would be no power and they also didn't have a charger for the car. Luckily my husband and I brought an extra fully charged battery but didn't need to use it as our Nikon battery lasts forever!
BTW, Sweni was awesome! The highlight of our trip. We snuck up on a leopard about 30m away and our rangers had us stalk some sleeping male lions that afternoon. The rangers are amazing!

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 7:09 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Birder of the Year (2013)
The age restriction is 12. But I would advise you to hear what the booking clerk has to say when you inquire.

Here.

Follow me as I bird on Twitter @wildtuinman

Post subject: Re: Wilderness trails
Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 5:29 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

It would be difficult for me to give advice , except to say that in my opinion Olifants has the best setting , Napi the best accomodation units (en suite bathrooms) but due to this has lost a bit of ambience .
Best try to book one after the other .

KNP is sacred. I am opposed to the modernisation of Kruger and from the depths of my soul long for the Kruger of yesteryear! 1000+km on foot in KNP incl 56 wild trails.200+ nights in the wildernessndloti-indigenous name for serval.

Post subject: Re: Wilderness trails
Unread postPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 7:50 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

flipper6 wrote:
I'm doing my first wilderness trail in October (Metsi Metsi) - would appreciate some advice on what to take, what not and any other relevant information. Part of a 14 day trip in KNP.

Hi Flipper6,

have a first look here http://www.sanparks.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=67&t=3009

May 27th - 31th Letaba, May 31th - June 2nd Skukuza, June 2nd - June 4th Berg-En-Dal

Post subject: Re: Bushman's or Wolhuter? I have to decide on a Trail
Unread postPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 8:09 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

There is a fridge of about 150 litre capacity that can contain at least the equivalent of about 6 dozen tins , provided you restock the fridge regularly then there is plenty enough space for a dozen or so tins per person per day .

Post subject: Re: Wilderness Trails - General Advice
Unread postPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 12:57 am 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Hi anne-marie

Sweni is a three night trail, not just one night. It either starts on a Sunday or a Wednesday.

Food and basic drinks such as tea and coffee are included, but not cold drinks or alcoholic beverages.

The route from Tambotie to Satara can easily be done in that time.

Here is a link: TRAILS

Want to know more about the SANParks Honorary Rangers? Visit www.sanparkshr.org

One positive deed is worth more than a thousand critical words.

Unread postPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 10:00 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Anne-marie , with just moderate fitness this is easily achievable . I think that 15 km a day is normally about the maximum , and it is split between a longer walk in the morning , whereupon the trail returns to the camp for lunch , and then a shorter walk in the afternoon . The trail actually walks for 2 days , the arrival on the first day is in the late afternoon , departure on the third in the early morning around 7 am .
The camp is fenced , it provides a degree of safety , very few dangerous animals come into camp . even at night . Toilets are within easy reach of the sleeping accomodation .

Post subject: Re: Wilderness Trails
Unread postPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 7:47 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Each trail differs from year to year as far as game sightings are concerned , I suppose due to differences in rainfall in different areas . As a lot of the rain comes via isolated thunder showers , an area which had rain the previous season may again not have the following season , and the opposite is also true , so different areas have different amounts of vegetation available . The relatively vast area used by the trail may offer good sightings in one area , yet very little only a few kilometres away .
The Sweni and Metsi Metsi trails generally offer the best animal sightings , but due to the above reasons you may see very little game . I have for instance been on the Sweni trail a number of times both as a trailist as well as accompanying staff on duty where contrary to the norm we have seen very low amounts of game .
I would certainly recommend the Metsi Metsi due to having experienced excellent game viewing on occasions , but again I have also seen very little there .
In short , any trail may just bring surprises .

Unread postPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 11:53 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

As Ndloti says Metsi Metsi is normally the best (With Sweni which is booked up) for game however March has very lush vegetation (long grass and shrub) conditions .

Olifants would be a little more open (lower rainfall area and not on Basalt (clayey) soils ) and more condusive to game-viewing and always a good 3rd choice .
Also you could be seeing some things for the last time before Masingiri dam floods up the gorge .

Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 9:06 pm 

Here's my two cents:

I'm an outdoorsy guy and I really enjoy hiking. So, for Kruger to offer single game walks and the 3-day trails, I'm very excited about that.

I think it really comes down to what you're interested in, the total number of days you're spending in the park, and your budget.

As was said earlier, you're probably not going to see the quantity of animals on any trail. However, you will likely have a more unique encounter with what animals you do see, simply because you're on foot. You don't have a car-shaped steel box around you to protect you, so your senses become instantly much more acutely aware of your surroundings. You then begin to notice all of the little things you may miss while in the car--flies, the wind, little noises, beetles, grass, weirdly-shaped tree stumps that look like animals, etc. Since you're more intimately involved in the animals' environment, the guides invariably point out things like different types of grass, which types the animals do and don't like, etc. You may not have cared about grass before your trail, but suddenly it becomes fascinating.

What's the difference between one single trail and 3 days of this? Well, if you like it, you get 3 days of walks in a row rather than one. You also get to stay in a private little camp, just you, the 7 other guests, the guides, and a cook. It's fun to get to know your trail-mates as you swap stories. The camps are much more quiet at night than the big camps.

I noticed you're traveling solo. Any walk is a great way to get to meet people. You'll probably bond with people more on the wilderness trail because you're sharing camp with them.

I guess in the end it's up to how interested you are in hiking and if you have a little extra money for the wilderness trail.

Post subject: Re: Nyalaland trail Vs Bushman's trail
Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 8:43 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

I have a very soft spot for Nyalaland , not that I would discourage anyone from doing Bushmans .
Nyalaland generally has less game , the rainfall and geology and thus vegetation is very different to the rest of the trails .
You get more of a feeling of remoteness there , you drive much further from the departure point (Punda Maria) to Nyalaland the camp than on other trails . Also there is much less human influence - noise from aeroplanes and the trains and light pollution (lights from outside the KNP) reflecting in the sky (mostly when cloudy) that you could encounter on Bushmans .

Last edited by ndloti on Tue Jan 06, 2009 11:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Best wilderness trail in kruger?
Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 9:15 am 

Hi jurgens, and a warm welcome to the forums!

Have a read here - I am sure you will find some guide there.

Edit: Some more links for you

Sweni Trail

Olifants

Napi

Metsi Metsi

Bushmans

A roaring lion does not catch any prey - African Proverb

Post subject: Re: Best wilderness trail in kruger?
Unread postPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 8:24 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Naturally there are trails where the likelihood of seeing more of the exciting animals is greater than others , but the overall motivation for me is to enjoy the wilderness , and that is available on all the trails .
Nyalaland in my opinion offers the best chance for this with generally less game , more migratory birds at the limit of their southern range , and unmatched beauty , especially in summer .
I have just walked the Metsi Metsi , the vegetation was so green and lush and water pools widespread that there were few plains animals seen , in fact where there were impala , only their backs and heads were visible .
This was in an area with slightly shorter grass !

Unread postPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 3:23 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

I will attempt to reply with my opinions as briefly and succintly as possible while avoiding stepping on too many toes .
The Wilderness Trails experience is to me more or less the same as around post 1991 , so read in tandem with opinions on general standards in KNP often expressed on this forum there has been a change in certain aspects , but the day to day running is the same .
There was very little change with the outsourcing which ended late 1990's or early 21 st century , the major change with the "outsourcing" was the Sanparks rangers at the time created a company which managed the day to day running of the trails , still relying on Sanparks infrastructure .
I do notice that due to cultural differences there has in certain cases been a change to the way interpretation is done and the way it is understood , also a change to the nature of exchanges of anecdotal and other info experienced while in conversation with the certain guides , again probably due to language and cultural differences .
I feel a little extra camp maintenance here and there is needed as well as reversion to certain aesthetic and traditional values , for a start more wood for the fireside (as I mentioned above , limited amounts of inferior wood is supplied) as a carbon sustitute for the increased petrol consumption resulting from the apparent increase in vehicle use to access starting points for daily walks would be welcome , as I feel that due to the latter (amongst other) reasons the essence of the wilderness trail is slowly but unneccesarily being sacrificed .
Of course a few home comforts are what humans demand , but walking and experiencing the wilderness on foot are what trails are all about .

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 161 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next