Skip to Content

Wilderness Trails - FAQ

Discuss activities available in the Kruger National Park, and follow all the sighting reports.

Re: Wilderness Trails - FAQ

Unread postby Elsa » Thu Oct 02, 2014 1:29 pm

Please let me know how it goes Sharky!
Will be keeping fingers crossed.
Where ever you go, go with all your Heart.

Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Unread postby chirinda » Sun Jul 19, 2015 7:45 pm

I can't find much information about ticks on walking trails.

One presumes ticks are more numerous in the summer, anyone know how prevalent they are in September? Or is it the rains that bring them out?

I also wonder about the repellants which are available, as to whether the smell of them can be a problem on walks. One would assume that highly scented lotions should be avoided.

Meandering Mouse
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Meandering Mouse » Mon Jul 20, 2015 7:12 am

Chirinda, ticks can be a problem any time of the year. I have often had bites from the little pepper ticks in particular.

We have had burning here and I had hoped that it is would get rid of ticks for a while. Even with the fire, frost and dryness, I am having to use tick repellent on my dogs. I should imagine Kruger would be worse.

I think we smell like walking pharmaceutical factories as it is. :wink: Soap, deodorant, washing adds to rather an interesting mix.
The bird doesn't sing because it has answers, it sings because it has a song.

Unread postby Imberbe » Tue Jul 21, 2015 11:32 pm

Ticks can be a problem, especially the type which is called pepper ticks. These are small pin sized ticks which usually bite you in numbers, leaving you with ugly and itching bites. They like biting in covered areas, especially your socks, the legs of long pants, etc. This can happen any time, but they are more abundant in the summer.

You can use "Bayticol" which is very effective. You spray your clothes before the trip. Never spray it on your body. It lasts for up to three washes on your clothing. It can be found at pharmacies.
Imberbe = Combretum imberbe = Leadwood = Hardekool = The spirit of the Wildernis!

Want to know more about the SANParks Honorary Rangers? Visit

One positive deed is worth more than a thousand critical words.

Return to “KNP Activities & Sightings”