Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 14 posts ] 
 Post subject: End to End Kruger trail
Unread postPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 6:42 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

I was recently reading articles on several long-distance walking trails found throughout the world, and how they came about. It got me thinking about the Kruger trails and how great it would be if they all connected so that you could walk the length of Kruger via inter-connecting trails.

The trail could start at Croc Bridge and continue up to to Pafuri, taking in all the different regions throughout the park.

Most long-distance trails are laid out in segments, so that you do not have to do the trail all at once. In Kruger, each camp could be responsible for a part of the trail(a segment), allowing visitors to do just that segment. At a certain point, the trail could then change over to the next camp, with new guides etc.

People would be able to book as many segments as they like, depending on how much time they have and fitness level. People could strive to become 'End-to-Enders', meaning they have completed all sections of the trail and walked the whole of Kruger.

The long-distance trails I've looked at make use of paths, roads, old railway lines. The Kruger trail similarly make use of service roads, some tourist roads, as well as game trails.

And I would like to be the first to volunteer to map it out and get it going :lol:

Post subject: Re: End to End Kruger trail
Unread postPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 8:33 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Seriously now, I think an End to End Kruger trail will be a roaring success and something a lot of enthusiasts will strive for to complete and to write behind their names.
Very interesting idea Tumble Weed

Unread postPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 3:37 pm 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

I will whisper the idea in to someones ear ... maybe something will happen? :huh:

Want to know more about the SANParks Honorary Rangers? Visit www.sanparkshr.org

One positive deed is worth more than a thousand critical words.

Unread postPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 7:10 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Could this actually be something in the making, some forumites doing the first one in one go. :big_eyes: How long would it take? I will be very interested in something like this if it should ever happen. :hmz:

Unread postPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 9:40 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Wouldn't it be great if the forumites could take this on as a project and get the trail going! :dance:

As Malelane is further south than Croc Bridge, I suppose that would be the camp to start from and the finish could be the Pafuri Picnic Spot(or Crook's Corner?).

As mentioned earlier, the trail could make use of existing trails, game paths, river beds and service roads. I don't think using tourist roads would be ideal as one, you'd lose the true feeling of the walk, and two, I doubt whether tourists would appreciate having people walking on the roads.

The service roads would be ideal as you won't get any tourist traffic along them.

Unread postPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 9:49 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Here's a trail that the Kruger trail could be based on in terms of how it operates and is walked:

Quote:
The Larapinta Trail is one of Australia's great walks - over 220km of trail, divided into twelve sections, the Larapinta offers hikers of all levels the ultimate Central Australian wilderness experience.

The Larapinta Trail was constructed during the early 1990s by the NT Conservation Commission. It is now seen as one of the great walks in Australia, along with the Overland Track, the Heysen Trail, the Alpine Walking Track and the Bibbulmun Track.

Despite its length (it takes two weeks to walk the entire trail) and remoteness, walking the Larapinta is easy to organise: there is road access at regular points along the walk, meaning that walkers can 'cherry-pick' the sections they like or have supplies dropped off. This is particularly handy in summer, when high temperatures mean hikers need lots of water. All trailheads(camps) have a water supply. Secure facilities are available at trailheads for food drop-off.

Unread postPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 6:36 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Approx. 20k's a day, should be about 20 days in the bush. :P
Take a route from Malalane through past the left of Renosterkoppies, plan to cross the Sabie early morning next to the low water bridge.
Follow the edge of the plains east of the main road to about just southwest of Nwanetsi, meet up with the Sweni there.
Go along the eastern border to the east of Engelhardt.
From there go north through the Mopaniveld to Shingwedzi.
Tell me, how does it sound so far? :lol:
Then north again & pass the Roan enclosure north of the camp & follow the Coahora Bassa lines & you might end close to Crooks Corner. :lol:
Basic framework, who knows..........

Unread postPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 8:42 pm 

sounds like a great idea, i know lots of people who would be interested in doing this, i definatly would

Unread postPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 10:47 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

This sound excelent!!!!!

well I would defenitly go on this trail if it could be started!!! :pray:

The currents that shape our lives, flow from the attitudes we nurture everyday!

Unread postPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 1:31 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

The route I suggested will be able to take you to spots in Kruger where a backup vehicle with Tents etc.
will be able to reach.
During National service I saw a good few places that just sprang to mind. 8)
20 k's a day is not that bad but, realise one thing, this will not be for ninnies :twisted:
I will even put my Landie up for support vehicle if we can do this. :wink: & supply the driver. :lol:
Must be a small group though, must be reasonably fit, normal walking of 20 k's will take you about 8 hours with some sightings. :hmz:
To do it with your own tent etc. & live off the land. :naughty:
Thats for the movie people & it will never be possible for the normal forumite.

Unread postPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 8:05 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

A "South to North pre-walk". This is the wording I like, who is in for this challenge. If only we can convince Sanparks. I am willing to put some time & effort for the planning& executing the deal. :wink: 10 People, one backup vehicle, bush, animals & a great guide. Maybe some oldster that has been in Kruger for a zillion years might be interested?????

Unread postPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 10:36 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

I was wondering about this thread. I'm in, Landy as backup vehicle. I have done some serious work on the route & spoke to some insiders but, then it dissapeared. :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 9:12 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Man, I'm first in line for such a backpack trail! Would really be the ultimate walking the lenght of the backpack trail :dance:

Unread postPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 9:15 am 

Morning All,

I recently read an article in the September issue of Getaway magazine.

Now for those that have been on the occasional morning walk (which is no more than 5 kilometers), the Olifants river walk is between 42 and 50 kilometers (divide by 1.6 for miles). That's an average of over 10km's a day (with a full pack including tent, food etc). Me reckons you need to be fit to complete this walk let alone a walk from one end of the Kruger to the other.

I have started a complete fitness regime as I aim to complete all walks in the Kruger next year, we will leave the Olifants for last as it is the one I am looking forward to most.

If extended walks (longer than the current ones) do become part of the Kruger experience, I will definitely be in :), (and also probably superfit).

Regards

Richard Roundtree