Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 183 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
 Post subject: Re: Lower Sabie Sightings
Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 8:54 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Is this pangolin alive? Would a pangolin not roll into a ball as soon as it sensed someone near it?

Unread postPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:21 am 
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

FAC Member (2012)
Great sighting........ :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:26 am 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
:clap: :clap: :clap: Wow!!! what a great and special sighting. :mrgreen: ...sure the 'mites on the walk were ecstatic at seeing this rare find. :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 11:06 am 
Guru
Guru

Good day everyone,

Had a very sad morning in Lower Sabie! An old legend died! When I started at Lower Sabie there were three cheetah on the Mlondozi loop, few months later they were two, well known as Will + Harry! About 8 months ago, Will died being brave amongst a pride of lions! The whole week we received reports from another 2 cheetahs in the area!! This morning on the Mlondozi loop at the Muntshe turn-off was something strange in the road! My prince got killed by Chucky and Norris, the new 2 vicious cheetah intruders of the flats!! I had to pull Harry out of the road so that the cars could pass! He had a big hole in his bud and a few marks on his neck with only Chucky and Norris' tracks surrounding it! About 15m away were the two monsters watching me moving their enemy with no respect in their eyes!!

Sad it was!!

Please take note that I only report my best sightings at Lower Sabie not every activity is 5/5! I've had some encounters that people want the drives exactly as the way I reported it and then get grumpy if they don't see it the way I reported it!!

Martie
Lower Sabie Rest Camp
Kruger National Park

Unread postPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 2:04 pm 

Hi Martie - So nice to hear from you again..
So sorry to hear about Harry, must have been awful to find him like that.
Nature sure is cruel at times. Hope you are well.

Unread postPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 2:17 pm 

Sad to read about Harry, ....... but
So glad to see a report from Martie. Are you back permanently Martie? Hope your enjoying married life.
My family have always enjoyed your drives and company on bush braais - your enthusiasm and knowledge is so infectious. :D :D
Will look forward to meeting Chuck and Norris now!

Unread postPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 9:23 pm 
Guru
Guru

The weather might have been bad and windy the last few days but it sure brought out all Lower Sabie's kitty cats!!

Tonight we had leopards to choose from and not even to talk about the lions! If guest say they've seen 7 leopards only today, its a miracle!! The young male about 7km from camp was the high light of the night with him rolling in some wee-wee of sorts in the middle of the road!!

Will see what tomorrow's drives got for us!!

Martie
Lower Sabie Rest Camp
Kruger National Park

Unread postPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 9:28 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Hi Martie, so nice to have you back. Your reports have always been one of my favourites, thank you for sharing

Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 12:46 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi Martie, thanks for the wonderful night drive last week! :thumbs_up: :clap:

Just a question...Is the Lower Sabie Gentleman still around?

Unread postPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 4:26 pm 
Guru
Guru

Hi all,

Just to answer your question Mads, the Lower Sabie gentlemen has not been around for 2 years now, they live close to the Mlondozi stream with the Sambogha pride!!

The last week's drives have been fantastic!! Leopards, Leopards and even a good lion sighting or two! A few afternoons back on the sunset drive even me was amazed! About 2km from camp towards Skukuza, I yet again stopped for some sightings on the otherside of the Sabie river when my eye caught something in the tree in front of us! It was one of those sightings that you really enjoyed because half of Lower Sabie's guest drove past a leopard in a tree! This leopard about 20m of the road staring us right in the eye on the truck was one of my best sightings in a very very long time!!

Our Lubye Lubye lion pride have babies and on Friday morning they had some breakfast plans, but after the third run up and down their hunting ground changed into a bedroom!!

The highlight of the week was the stinky buffalo in front of the restaurant!! The buffalo died of old age a week ago! On wednesday evening a leopard was the first to come in for supper at the restaurant! A few minutes later there was a growl and a spit and off went leopard and here came the clang of hyenas! Two hours later another growl or maybe two or three, off went the hyenas and 2 lions, the boss again!! Thursday night the lions came back and so did the hyena and so did the whole old age home of buffalo and the lions eventually had enough of biltong and 5 buffalos against 2 lions were just not worth the supper for the lions!!

At least cooling down again today!

Martie
Lower Sabie Rest Camp
Kruger National Park

Unread postPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 11:10 am 
Guru
Guru

Good day,

4 nights back I went on the sunset drive, due to our camp's changes of the late night drive leaving at 20:00 we had our old sunset drive time of 16:30! When we left the camp it was still hot as only a hot summer day in Kruger can be and me worried because the heat does play a huge role in sightings! A kilometre out of camp and a big male lion peaked out of the reeds, saw his head and tale and sleeping was just the better option. In this dry hot spring afternoon!! On the Nwathimhiri causeway a female leopard walked over the road and back over again, not slightly bothered by our presence! She even stopped looked at me and just smiled and if she could waved, she would have! At Lubye Lubye bridge a big surprise of 15 minutes with a leopard! A beautiful sighting smelling, sniffing and wondering up and down with no scheduled plan! Reason why I would love to be an animal, time and plans are just not there!!

Then the night after a terrible quiet Night drive, it was one of those nights where you drive and drive and eventually end up on Salitjie because even all the good roads are as bad as Salitjie!

But even the bad roads become the good roads the next morning and on our way to the walking area, a fresh new day, honey badger X2, leopard stalking impala, elephants and rhino on that same road I took the night before! It is a feeling of overwhelming anger but also relieve that these animals do have a sence of humour and probably had a good laugh the quiet night before!!

The hit of the week was this morning's walk!!!! A walk to me is this great challenge because you can sometimes walk right pass these hairy creatures and won't even know! Citty and I both fluish this morning left the camp not knowing what is waiting somewhere out there!! Started of with 5 buffalos about 10m away! Later on the oxpeckers did a great job as usual and found us another group of buffalo and a nice surprise! I just saw Citty's excitement on his face when a honey badger popped up 8m from him in the animal path!! We stopped at the buffalo and yet we get this surprise!!

On our way to the river still on the walk we encountered an elephant herd and even a youngster challenging an old guy! Don't know what this 2 year old elephant was thinking, but luckily he had his mother to hide behind!!

Close to the Sabie river were a big group of vultures in a tree, not knowing we went closer! I had a glimpse of a lion track and could see that Citty behind me stopped for it too! As I looked up I could see in front of me this red faced lion looking up! Two minutes later a lioness got up and then the rest of the pride got a fright and dissapeared! On our arrival at their breakfast spot, a big buffalo bull had his last supper last night and still fresh only the neck and rump that were eaten! We didn't stay long, so that we can find a breakfast spot ourselves and the lions could enjoy the rest of their breakfast!!

Normally the sightings that you find yourself are the sightings you wish to remember a lifetime!! It was the guests first walk ever all the way from Finland, how lucky can you be!!

If you around Lower Sabie, my advise to you is try the sunset drives! They are great for leopard if you haven't seen them just yet!!

Martie
Lower Sabie Rest Camp
Kruger National Park

Unread postPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 11:55 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

What wonderful sightings, thank you for sharing Martie. Have a good week

Unread postPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 5:11 pm 

Thank you Martie! :gflower:

I trust Lower Sabie will appreciate your marketing efforts. Unfortunately it means that the N1 will be very busy with lots and lots of visitors that wants to experience these wonderful sightings (me included :whistle: )

Unread postPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 7:08 pm 

Hi All,

this morning back from more than 4 weeks Kruger and the last 5 days Lower Sabie. The Lower Sabie Area is really hot!! for leopards and lions. On 1 day we saw 4 leopards and 29 lions! Amazing. Late in the afternoon we saw a pride of 19 lions and only 3 cars.....
:cam:

Ruud

Unread postPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 5:08 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger
Award: Funniest/Best Forumite Name (2013)
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Tamboti 30 December 2014
Berg en Dal 31 December 204 - 03 January 2015

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 183 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next