SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 166 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12  Next
 Post subject: Lower Sabie Sightings
Unread postPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 6:13 pm 
Guru
Guru

Good day to everyone,

Hope you can still remember me, I've helped Lourens with his forum when he was on holiday in Berg-en-dal and Malelane. But I've moved to the heaven of sightings and want you to enjoy every step of the way with the guides of Lower Sabie.

So sit back and relax ... The last few weeks were very quiet although last night sightings were the best ever, with a four out of five result on the big and hairies.

Went on the power line road with the sunset drive, and yes from now on it is called giraffe alley, because you can always count on the giraffe to give you nice pictures with the sun setting in the West.

From there on, we went onto the Gomondwana gravel road where two rhinos were waiting. Had a quick leg stretch before we got to the den and had great fun with the hyena pubs.

Normally Duke's waterhole is one of the great lion places but last night it was one of the other cats waiting for us at the hole, under the tree waiting to be seen, a leopard female, just relaxing after a hot day in the basalt flats.

Then time was a miserable monster and we had too much fun with the leopard and had to go back to camp. On our way back we took the S28 to the Crocodile Bridge - Lower Sabie Tar road where we got to see a lot of Elephants and Hippos and guess what not buffalos but two really pretty lion males (I've never seen a lion with black manes like the one) at sunset dam.

Bark spiders and Golden Orb web spiders were some off the exiting things making the girls scream when they glide with the wind into the vehicle.

When climbing into bed, the two male lions were walking past the camp making sure everyone knows they are there, roaring until half passed eleven.

Tomorrow morning it is time for a walk and will update you on the great sightings of Lower Sabie - Where you can really experience a wilderness effect.

From a hot Lower Sabie, Sleep well hope to see you soon.

Martie

Martie
Lower Sabie Rest Camp
Kruger National Park

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 1:41 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Here are some of the photos of the morning drive and nyala female with horns:

A photo of Ranger Martie (MJ) with her Shrek jacket. :angel:

Enjoy your walk Martie! :lol:

Post subject: Re: Lower Sabie Sightings
Unread postPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 6:28 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Thanks for the updates :thumbs_up:

2014 Birding Big Year- A 365 Day quest for 800 Species of Southern African Birds
Stiffnecks Member

Unread postPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 11:07 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Martie (MJ) has asked me to post some photos. She took it at Sunset dam and around camp!

Unread postPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 12:17 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

MJ wrote Wed 24 Sept.:
Quote:
The last two days were great. Took some of our forums members out on a private morning drive in their vehicle yesterday morning.

I (Mads) was the lucky one!!!!! :dance: :dance:

Quote:
Like normally I love Mlondozi loop, but they didn’t. And the words were something like, this road you see absolutely nothing and less than nothing, until we saw giraffe running over the road and dust clouds in the distance. It was our female cheetah and her cubs that caught a kudu, quite in a distance, but still wow!

Quote:
We couldn’t make up our minds if we want to stay there or rather move on, because some hyenas were also moving in.

Quote:
Then we saw another kudu in the distance staring in totally different direction.

Quote:
Then we realized there might be another form of predator in the surroundings. So we went down to the picnic spot and so we found another 3 cheetahs, this time males, on the sign post of Mlondozi picnic spot. They were so vocal and we got brilliant pictures

Here are some of the pics from that drive!

Unread postPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 11:31 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi every one! :lol:

MJ asked me to post this photos for her. It was the 24th September 2008. We went for a drive early that morning!! These are the Lower Sabie gentlemen!! Although a nice sighting! We were in a major traffic jam!!! :twisted:

The older brother:

No!! We are not seeing one another!!

... And the younger brother!

We also saw this female ellie that MJ calls Campass.
Note the growth on her foreleg.

Unread postPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 12:20 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

WOW!! :big_eyes: MJ!!

Do you think they have a den on the road, or do you think the pups is now big enough to move around? :hmz:

Here are some of those photos that you asked me to post!

MJ wrote:
Quote:
Most of these photos have been taken on walks. This was a morning walk at Mlondozi walking area

Quote:
Sunrise at the jeep road

Quote:
Elephant on the Salitje road whilst walking

Quote:
Ranger Knight sliding out of a tree

I will post some more whenever I get a chance!

Unread postPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 10:45 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

More photos from MJ:

Quote:
Walk at Mlondozi

Quote:
Rhino at Mlondozi (walk) There is nothing between us.

Quote:
Night drive towards Skukuza

Quote:
Ranger Knight watching rhino walking past

Quote:
Camouflage at Nhlamanzwane dam

Unread postPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 11:32 pm 

Last edited by GJ on Thu Oct 30, 2008 12:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Unread postPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 12:17 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

More pics from MJ!

Quote:
Elephant (and his drongo friend)

Quote:
Forum members on the drive

Quote:
Irving at Ellies

Quote:
Taking pics of Rhinos

Quote:
Rhinos on a walk again!

Quote:
If we start running underneath the rainbow I might become ranger Knight

Unread postPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 9:28 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi to everybody! MJ send me these photos and there are many!! SO YOU WILL HAVE TO BE PATIENT :pray: for the photos of the kill for they are last in line.... :doh:

MJ wrote on page 32:
Quote:
On the Salitjie road a giraffe carcass with a big male lion on it and hundreds of vultures.

The night drive I won’t say a word – it was beyond bad!!!!

This morning’s drive also much better. Just outside of camp a civet made his appearance and hippos grazing all over. Eventually some buffalos close to Lubye Lubye, but after a drive like last night all your hope is down stream with the Sabie River. At Nkuhlu a group of baboons was waiting us in and I must say the water level did go up, you can see it at Nkuhlu.

On the Nwatimhiri bridge a mating couple lions and traffic jam. Eventually everyone got bored with the lions and leaving us at the sighting, cool!

Ellies close to Munshi Mountain

Unread postPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 8:34 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

More photos from Martie:

The first time I saw this lion at Mlondozi

Another baby lion on Skukuza road

Little brother

Other brother

The same lion from Mlondozi

Unread postPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 8:53 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi every body :D

MJ :littleangel: is in the city jungle!! :evil: .... but the good news is that she will be back at work tomorrow evening!! :dance:

Well here are the photos you have been waiting for!!

Martie wrote Wednesday 5 November (page 33):
Quote:
At Munshi Mountain 1lion cub (later it became two), three females and daddy lion all on our left hand side. Then impala on our right hand side. The one female stood up and went to the mountain; another one was walking passed the truck to the right hand side of the road, crouching down behind a Quarry bush. The last female only stood up ages after the first two and went to lay down in the grass in front of the truck.

THEN THE THING HAPPENED that I wanted for 1year and 11 months. The impalas run over the road, then the one female of the mountain side appeared and the one on the right hand side also popped out. All the impalas slipped on the road and one felt straight into the lion lying in front of the truck. There was a big commotion and the male jumped up and grabbed the impala, fighting off the female. They both let go of the impala and it got loose. Eventually the male chased after it behind the truck to the right hand side again and brought it down. He did not kill the poor impala and eventually the two cubs moved in. The females were not allowed to come close and he let the youngsters kill it. After a while he started eating and the youngsters as well the females were moaning but still nothing for them.

Last edited by Mads on Thu Nov 27, 2008 9:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Unread postPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 5:10 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi Martie,

I must say even Pretoria is it hot and humid the last two days!! :?

And oh yes !!! you get those people that just want the big five :naughty: :wall: ... but luckily not every body is like that. I personally like the smaller stuff... like serval, owls, badger, pangolin, etc!! :wink:

I agree with Bornfree about the lion kill ... it is unusual for the Male to let the cubs... not even the females eat with him!! I wonder why he tollerate it? :hmz: Maybe his stomach was full... or maybe he just did not read the book!! :doh: :wink:

Here is some photos!! :dance:

MJ wrote on Wednesday 5 November 2008:
Quote:
So we went back to camp… something HAPPENED AGAIN. A cheetah climbed into a marula tree and everyone could see the cheetah up close and personal next to the truck. Then one stood up, all of them followed (four of them) and poor impala had his last food for the day and his life. Mommy cheetah got it and then the cheetahs disappeared.

A tortoise drinking water:

A lastly!!! I think this lion was laughing at some of your guests on the vehicle last night!! :tongue:

Unread postPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 9:11 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

More pics:

First proper sightings:

Four out of five salitje cheetah:

Guests on drive:

Baby Impi:

Juicy Frog:

Leopard at Camp:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 166 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12  Next