SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 183 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 13  Next
 Post subject: Re: Lower Sabie Sightings
Unread postPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 11:45 am 
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

FAC Member (2012)
Absolutely awesome sightings Martie! Can't stop giggling about the Lion that found you instead of you finding him! :lol:

I can think of easier things to eat than Porcupines! Shame! That poor mommy Porcupine losing her baby to a Leopard! How lucky to have found the Black Rhino, although sleeping! :dance: :dance:

Glad the Wild Dogs knew what was best for them rather to turn around than trying to go past those Lions! :D

I can only imagine what those 5 Cheetah cubs look like now .... all fluffy and beautiful! :dance: :dance:

Thanks for sharing! :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 3:54 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

What has happened to Lower Sabie Sightings from Martie or any of the guides?
Please give us news!

Unread postPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:58 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Marie Ive got to say I think you have the Greatest Job in the world Not only do you get to live In Lower sabie my favourite camp but you get to be up close and personal with amazing sightings (SIGH WISH I WAS YOU!) but ive got to ask Why do you see a leopard as Bad luck?????? This is seriously confusing me If I see a leopard I feel like the luckiest person on earth?????? Please explain? :)

Home is where the Heart is and my Heart lies in the Kruger ...FACT!

Unread postPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 4:52 pm 
Guru
Guru

Lower Sabie sightings are fairly quiet after the good rains we had this year. The walks are dangerous and there is not one place around Lower Sabie I will say that the grass is short. It is very difficult to walk if the grass is longer than you and your concentration has to be on that one maybe that something might jump up right in front of you in the grass, that not only being lions and leopards but also something bigger like rhino, buffalo or even a now and then hippo.

The north has been much better with the long grass because, there is one thing about a cat, they hate wet grass. The leopards that I never knew lived at Mlondozi, are now all of the sudden walking on the roads early mornings.

Talking of kitty cats, cheetahs vanished and almost forgotten how they look like.

There was a question about bad luck; it is a personal thing, but the good luck I did see last night…a running black rhino. So fast that out of 12 people only 4 saw it.

Martie
Lower Sabie Rest Camp
Kruger National Park

Unread postPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 11:43 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Hi MJ, glad to see that you are still around, thanks for sharing.

I am a free spirit...Either admire me from the ground. Or fly with me...But don't ever try to cage me.

Day visitor to the south 4-10 October 2014

Unread postPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 11:08 am 
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

FAC Member (2012)
I would love to see a Black Rhino MJ! Even if it is running! :dance: :dance:

Unread postPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 11:58 pm 

im so pleased u are back MJ-where u been? i so miss your reports -will be at lower sabie around 16 th june and hope to do a night drive with you -regards
tommy

Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:20 pm 

Just got back from LS last night.Was one of the best trips I have had
We had some great sightings

Thursday - Lioness walking across Lower Sabie bridge then stalked impalas

Friday morning - 5 lionesses on the gravel road behind Lower Sabie
Friday afternoon - Leopard on H11 close to Kruger Gate
5 mins later leopard in tree leopard in tree on S1
Maroela Loop - leopard stalking impala

Saturday morning - Leopard with small cub at Nwamithiri Bridge - Brilliant!!!
Big male lion at Rhenoster Koppies

Sunday morning - 2 leopards on Gomondwane Loop(mother and sub adult cub)
2 Male lions on the road H4-2 between the Gomondwane entrances

Lions sleeping on H1-3 on way home
Wild dogs on H7

CAN I PLEASE LEAVE SATURDAY'S SUNSET DRIVE TO MARTIE TO REPORT.
MARTIE CAN YOU PLEASE FILL IN :D

To see many of my KNP pictures and tales, visit my Facebook page at :
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Safraaz- ... 1744385395

Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:29 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

:D :clap: :dance: Hi there Martie, so glad to hear from LS again.

Thanks SAF for the update - I am counting down to May - 6 nights at LS :dance: :dance:

Glad about all the good rains that fell in Kruger.

Leana

Unread postPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 12:51 pm 
Guru
Guru

Good day all,

This last week was sort off great, besides the huge thunderstorm we found ourselves in on Thursday and with the background I have of never giving up, I drove until the last second of the drive. Seeing swimming pythons on wet roads, owls that looked like a soaked chicken and lightning no better than a disco itself.

There is something wrong with my truck. It has an anti-leopard function in it. I really can’t remember when last did I actually see a spotty. The leopard device has a brilliant lion function though, and if it is not charging male lions on a carcass at Mlondozi dam, it is lion cubs at Ntandanyati climbing up my tyres and onto signs. The Lions running in front of camp in the rain and just everywhere my truck turns.

On the H10 is a hyena theatre every morning at 5, you can’t miss it. The youngsters are rolling, biting and kicking each other’s bottoms. The rest is fairly quiet and cold.

Martie
Lower Sabie Rest Camp
Kruger National Park

Unread postPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:20 pm 
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

FAC Member (2012)
At least your truck has a great Lion function MJ! The Hyena theatre also sounds great! :dance: :dance:

Unread postPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:50 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hey Martie ,
Would love to get a weekly report from L.S. but that may be too much of a chore for you so even once a month would be great!
I suspect your reports have made you so popular with forumites and others who read here that you get flooded with requests.
Hoping to hear soon and many thanks, Kite

Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:11 pm 

Hey Martie!!

What's happened to the lovely stories?? are things a little quiet down south?

:roll: :o

Unread postPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 4:04 pm 

Went on the sunset drive 22 April.

Saw pride of lions with buffalo kill on S128 very close to the road .
On the H4 just before L S saw 2 young lions lying in the middle of the road, they were a bit nervous and retreated into the bush, and then there was an almighty crashing and they came haring out chased by a hippo !
at Sunset Dam there was a 4 metre croc lying in the middle of the road. He seemed to have something in his mouth. As we drove closer to have a look a pod of hippos came running out of the bush and dove into the dam.
The croc had a baby hippo in its mouth. The hippos were all watching from the dam. Unfortunately we had to go back to camp so did not see what happened next. My SOL took photos but I am not a photographer so cannot post pictures.

What an exciting drive!

Unread postPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 4:46 pm 
Guru
Guru

Good day everyone,

Dodie Smith once asked: “Why is summer mist romantic and autumn mist just sad?”, but with the earth cooling down every day the misty mornings just get more spectacular. Munshe Mountain and the Lebombo’s surprise you only at 8 when the peaks appear through the mist. The sun is like a ball of fire, trying so hard, to make its appearance through the thick fog layer. Down the path come six sets of eyes. Four of which are much smaller and then the surprise when the long tail flipped through the mist, these two leopard cubs had their first outing to the world and that on such a cold but beautiful morning. A mother so proud, not only to show the world what she got but also what the world got.

The lions around Lower Sabie each have their own agenda. Mash on the Skukuza road has at last found him a wife and is currently on Honeymoon. I can’t believe that it was him as a cub a few years ago that had to look after his young sisters when his mom was out hunting. Then one of the big male lions around camp looks rather fearsome, like a Trojan warrior with a spear through his heart. The spears are unfortunately not through his heart but a few porcupine quills in his gut. He will definitely make it. The quills are not deep at all and looks like it will fall out any moment.

Sunset dam is getting empty, the grass is thinning out and the smoke more frequent. They didn’t call Africa the continent of smoke for nothing, but the dusky smoke, brown dust and bright sun make such beautiful warm sunsets and where else in the world would you rather be…

Martie
Lower Sabie Rest Camp
Kruger National Park

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 183 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 13  Next