SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Nyalaland Wilderness Trail
Unread postPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 10:20 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Thank you , Stephens !

KNP is sacred. I am opposed to the modernisation of Kruger and from the depths of my soul long for the Kruger of yesteryear! 1000+km on foot in KNP incl 56 wild trails.200+ nights in the wildernessndloti-indigenous name for serval.

Unread postPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 12:45 pm 

I have a complaint!! A year ago I booked 4 places on the Nyalaland trail from 7 - 10 August, as it's the only trail we haven't done, and we were looking forward to the birding and the beautiful scenery, especially Lanner Gorge. We arranged and booked a whole trip from Cape Town, built around the Nyalaland trail, and have been looking forward to it for 11 months.

Yesterday (18 July) I received notification that the trails camp in closed due to renovations after the January floods. NOT ONCE IN 11 MONTHS WAS I GIVEN ANY WARNING THAT THE CAMP MIGHT BE OUT OF COMMISSION. At this late stage it is not possible to cancel our trip, everything has been paid for, and we are forced to accept the alternative temporary tented trail offered us. This is not in the same area, closer to Mopani - in fact we have no idea of the camp's location.

I understand that there were other more important projects to attend to first before turning to the more remote north, but could someone not have informed us of the situation sooner?

I would be grateful if someone from Sanparks could inform me where exactly this temporary trail is situated.

Unread postPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 3:05 pm 
Guru
Guru

Dear JenniB

Please allow me to apologise for the inconveniences you endured as a result of closure of Nyalaland Trail. During the January 2013 floods, Nyalaland was severly affected and management decided to close the trail for renovations. We expected the renovations to be completed by early July hence we did not inform the guests immediately.

After we realised that we are not going to meet the deadline we have establised a tented camp at Nyari camp South East of Mopani restcamp. The tented camp is situated North West of Boulders along Shongololo Loop to accommodate guests who are suppose to be at Nyalaland Trail. However, this arrangement is not compulsory if you are not interested.

Once again we would like to apologise for inconvenience, we are aware that the experience from the tented camp is not going to be the same as at Nyalaland Trail.

Please inbox me your contact details so that we can interact to find an amicable solution.

Stephens Ledwaba
Communications and Marketing Department
Kruger National Park
+27 (0)13 735 4116
stephens.ledwaba@sanparks.org

Unread postPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 5:54 pm 

Thanks for your reply, Stephens. I will contact you directly by e-mail as there are some questions we have about the temporary trail.

Unread postPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 1:11 pm 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

You are going to enjoy the new site!

It is hosted in a site erected by the SANParks Honorary Rangers recently and you will be staying in tents provided by the SHR.

A true bush experience! :thumbs_up:

Want to know more about the SANParks Honorary Rangers? Visit www.sanparkshr.org

One positive deed is worth more than a thousand critical words.

Unread postPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 3:05 pm 

I like the sound of the tents, Imberbe - I'm just worried that the location might be too near Mopani camp, the road and civilization, and not a real "wilderness" experience.

Unread postPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 11:28 pm 

It is in the Mopanie area, but it is not close to Mopanie and the camp will have no impact.

It is however close to a public road. It is a dirt road and not a busy road. It should have a very limited impact on your experience. To reach the walking areas you will either walk out of camp away from the direction of the road or cross it while travelling on a no entry road.

I suspect it is probably the most authentic bush experience one can currently have in KNP, except for the back pack trails.

Want to know more about the SANParks Honorary Rangers? Visit www.sanparkshr.org

One positive deed is worth more than a thousand critical words.

Unread postPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 8:09 am 

Thanks - that is most reassuring.

Unread postPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 6:44 am 

Now I am concerned about our planned wilderness experience at Nyalaland in October. With the announcement of Nyari rustic camp by the Honorary Rangers near Phalaborwa gate and the previous posts, I may need to change my reservations. We plan to stay in Punda Maria prior to departing to Nyalaland, but it seems that Nyari as the substitute camp is way to far to travel in a day. Can someone give me an idea where Nyari is located and the distance from PM. Maybe Nyalaland will be ready by October, but I know how difficult it is to change our accomodations.

Unread postPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 8:19 am 
Guru
Guru

Dear Heritagearts

Please note that from Punda Maria to Nyari Camp is about 140 KM. It is about 20 KM from Mopani Camp and 90 KM from Phalaborwa Gate. This is how Nyari camp looks like:

Stephens Ledwaba
Kruger National Park
+27 (0)13 735 4116

Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 11:05 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

JenniB wrote:
we were looking forward to ... especially Lanner Gorge.
Even if Nyalaland has been operational, you would have been lin for a very stiff hike. I stand to be corrected, but I don't believe Lanner Gorge is normally visited on this trail. It would entail driving past Thulamela as far as the management road goes, and then walking along a route that is far from easy and certainly not short.

Johan

Unread postPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 6:20 am 

Is there any updates on Nyalaland?

Unread postPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:08 am 
Guru
Guru

heritagearts wrote:
Is there any updates on Nyalaland?

At the moment Nyalaland is still closed. We will make an announcement once there are new developments.

Stephens Ledwaba
Kruger National Park
+27 (0)13 735 4116

Unread postPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 4:27 pm 

Is there any updates about the location of the temporary Nyalaland Wilderness Trail? Is the departure still at Punda Maria?

Unread postPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 5:32 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi - we have booked the trail for this November and have the info on departure camp on the confirmation as Punda Maria therefore we have booked that camp as instructed. Is this correct or should we amend the night to Mopani Camp?

Thanks!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next