Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 86 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Mananga Adventure Trail
Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 1:03 pm 

Now I really want to get to do the P/kop trail - thanks for the feedback stelliegp123!

stelliegp123 wrote:
The terrain is 4X4 valley, however, you will be able to do it with 4X2.
I think SANParks will even agree with you but they insist on folk only doing to trails in 4x4's in order to do as little damage to the ecology as possible :thumbs_up:

A roaring lion does not catch any prey - African Proverb

Post subject: Re: Mananga trail
Unread postPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 5:18 pm 

Hi Herman, earlier this year the WEG magazine had a special Kruger edition and according to them the route was stil open, about 48km long and cost R460....I assume per vehicle. No info on the map though, sorry.

Post subject: Re: Mananga trail
Unread postPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 6:33 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Herman , the trail was still open in May . We have done it twice previously . There is no really detailed map available , but you do receive a rough sketch of it when you book it - booking can only be done at Satara on the morning that you actually go on the trail . The " official " start is about 8 km north of Satara on the H1-4 ( there is a sign ) , goes eastwards for about 8 km , then almost due south to the S100 ( another 8 or so kilometers ) . Then follow s100 to S41 , where you turn left on the S41 . About 2 km on , there is another sign where you again enter the "bush " . The trail then follows the Mavumbye river up to where you previously turned south . You may then go back the original way you came , or cross the river , and a few km's on , you join the S90 . You may start onto the trail at any of the points , go in any direction , not necessarily as indicated , but you must remain on the trail at all times :rtm:

You may get out of your vehicle anywhere , but it is recommended that you do not move more than a few meters away from it . Do not get out of your vehicle within sighting distance of a road - other tourists may see you , and they may think they can also get out of their vehicle . You may also take along a gas cooker to make coffee or cook a brekkie or lunch , but no fires :naughty:

Enjoy it :lol:

Next :
3 - 6 Sept 2013 - Punda.
7 - 10 Sept 2013 -Shingwedzi .
11 - 13 Sept 2013 - Balule .
14 - 17 Sept 2013 - Satara .

Unread postPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 8:18 am 

Hi there

I m wondering..... Is this Trail safe to do if you are only one vehicle?

We did Pretoriuskop last year, but we had friends also in a 4X4....

This year we are alone.

Is it a difficult trail?

Unread postPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 10:52 am 

Stellie, it is quite safe to do with just one vehicle, in fact many folk enjoy it that way.

If is has rained or a chance of rain the trail is usually closed plus the staff will know there is a vehicle still out due to your deposit that is left behind, or hopefully anyway! :wink:

Enjoy.

Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 8:39 pm 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

ruud,

if ever possible do the trail - It is indeed worthwhile to do - We saw really lots of animals, however, most the common savannah ones but nevertheless had a great time :thumbs_up:

You can book the trail only on the day when you will do it and can book it between 07.00 - 11.00 o'clock at the receiption. The trail is about 45 km long and can only be driven one way. We started same shortly after booking at 07.00 o'clock and where back in camp around 14.00 o'clock so I would say it is more than impossible to do the trail more than one time. :hmz:

Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 8:43 pm 

Hi, I did the trail on Monday. Really enjoyed it being out on your own and having a nice picnic in the wild, completely on your own. We saw ellies and rhino and the normal buck. I spoke to a guy in the camp that did the trail the previous day and they got lions and a leopard at the twin windmill area. I will do it again!!

Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:01 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Isn't the trail broken up into 2 parts? I think I read somewhere (off forum) that a few people to the whole trail once, then the shorter of the 2 parts again.

Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:40 pm 

Yes, it is - It starts nearly half way between Satara camp on the H1-4 and the crossing S90 will lead then straight to the Malihane windmill, then you have to turn right and drive straight again until you will come out on the S100, you then have to follow this road until a bit after Gudzani dam on the S41 where you drive again into the direction of the Malihane windmill and then you drive straight again and will come out on the S90 near Mavumbye :thumbs_up:

But believe me both parts are so totally different you simply have to do both - It is a thrilling experience :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 8:25 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

We've done it in both directions at different times . Its great , especially to be totally alone :D

Next :
3 - 6 Sept 2013 - Punda.
7 - 10 Sept 2013 -Shingwedzi .
11 - 13 Sept 2013 - Balule .
14 - 17 Sept 2013 - Satara .

Unread postPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 10:03 am 

On time when we did it, we had just finished the trail and met a man saying he had seen a lion heading along the river bed towards the end of the trail ... so we went back and drove a fair bit of the trail again. I understand it that one pays to be on the trail roads for the entire day, so if you double back, it is fine.

A roaring lion does not catch any prey - African Proverb

Unread postPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 1:35 pm 

The camp manager at satara was saying this past weekend that there is a leopard with two cubs at the windmill, which is seen quite regularly at the moment.
You do pay for the whole day, so can do the trail as many times as you like on that day.

Post subject: 4x4 trail with a difference near Satara
Unread postPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 8:41 pm 

When we were at Satara last month we were lucky enough to go on the Mananga 4x4 trail and it was a wonderful experience.
It's not a difficult trail (certainly not when it's dry and you're not allowed to do it if it has been raining) so it probably wouldn't suit the macho-man types who would like to have to rebuild the road before they can drive along it!
But it gives you a chance to get away from the madding crowd and enjoy Kruger as it must have been 30 or 40 years ago - just you, the animals and the bush and maybe one or two other cars, certainly not a whole bunch of them as is usual near Satara, that Big Five Heaven.
If you want something different and are prepared to take it slow to get your money's worth, give it a try.

Post subject: Re: 4x4 trail with a difference near Satara
Unread postPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 12:09 pm 

Hi annie,

although we have visited Kruger many times, 2 weeks back we did the same 4x4track for the first time. And you're right, it is very pleasant almost to be alone in the bush. We were lucky to have a lioness all for 'ourselves' . We also saw on the second part of the track a dead ellie with many many vultures. Only..... too far away, but we could smell him :mrgreen:
When it 's up to me, there should be more of these tracks only 460R is not cheap...

Ruud

Post subject: Re: 4x4 trail with a difference near Satara
Unread postPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 7:50 am 

Remco, if I were you I'd phone them from Olifants (tel 013 735-6306/7, duty manager cell 082 802 1209) the day before, to tell them you want to do it - just in case more than 6 cars are wanting to do it on the day you choose (limit is 6 cars at any one time, no more). Then at least you have your name on the list first. Then it's fine to go to Satara the morning of the day you want to do it. In fact, you can't make a firm booking before the day because if it rains you can't do the trail. Apparently they have had to go and rescue too many people who got bogged down in the mud when it rains, so they close it if it has rained.

I hope you enjoy it. It's not a challenging drive, but it's so wonderful to get away from the crowds and onto "the back roads" for a while. If you take your time and stop often, it makes a wonderful day. Just sitting at the waterhole is also lovely (you pass it on your way out and then again on your way back) and look carefully for leopard there. If you're really keen there's nothing to stop you from doing the whole circuit a second time! Have fun...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 86 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next