Pretoriuskop – 1970

Satara – 1975

Post subject: Re: Old photos of Kruger
Unread postPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 1:04 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Great pics Leigh :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up:

Phala-gate looked so different

If you also notice the Hlanguleni picture, you will see that you could leave a car door open for a little bit longer than you can nowdays without having a Vervet or Chacma attempt to hi-jack it

The one you have labeled as "Pretoriuskop 1970" looks a bit like the old Orpen huts of yesteryear, before electicity was introduced.

Last edited by GlenD on Fri Sep 10, 2010 3:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Unread postPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 1:22 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

I am thoroughly enjoying these pictures !
I tend to agree with Glen79 that it is Orpen , looking in the direction of the KNP entrance gate from the furthest end of camp , before the additions - prior to mid 1985 the gravel access road from Klaserie area was through the far southern part of Timbavati PNR ... then modernisation arrived and Orpen was no longer a rustic camp . :cry:

KNP is sacred. I am opposed to the modernisation of Kruger and from the depths of my soul long for the Kruger of yesteryear! 1000+km on foot in KNP incl 56 wild trails.200+ nights in the wildernessndloti-indigenous name for serval.

Unread postPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 1:34 pm 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Looks like P/Kop to me ... looks like the hut you get when you drive in the gates at the Parking lot ... now being used as an office

Unread postPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 1:47 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

I never visited P'kop in 1970 :tongue: so it could well be that, however I did have the pleasure of staying at Orpen in 1981 in huts that looked like that, the building in the right of the pic looks like the old ablution block, with the communal braai area just beyond that. The pic looks like it was taken from the north end, looking south towards the entrance side.

Unread postPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 4:42 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

On seeing this thread I immediately went and got out my parents old photo albums. My Dad was principal of Uplands School near White River in the 1950"s and I was sure there were a few Kruger Park photos somewhere in these albums. I have found some but regret that the quality is not so good as the original photo 's are 7 x 5 cm's. I trust that they will bring back memories for some of you.

This photo is marked Letaba 1950. Looks as if it was taken from where the deck is now.
CSC_0829 (Medium) by Richard Gillatt, on Flickr

This is also marked Letaba 1950.
CSC_0845 (Medium) by Richard Gillatt, on Flickr

Also marked Letaba Wet - not sure what year. Thats me with the blonde hair in the chair.Image
CSC_0844 (Medium) by Richard Gillatt, on Flickr

Pretorius Kop 1950.
CSC_0842 (Medium) by Richard Gillatt, on Flickr

Olifants River 1950.
CSC_0843 (Medium) by Richard Gillatt, on Flickr

Satara 1951.
CSC_0841 (Medium) by Richard Gillatt, on Flickr

Satara 1951 - Collecting the fire to cook supper. Look at the clothes they wore to collect a fire!!!!!!!!!
CSC_0840 (Medium) by Richard Gillatt, on Flickr

I trust that these pics will cause a few formites to reminice over the "GOOD OLD DAYS"

Unread postPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 5:03 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

I also came across this photo with the accompanying letter in the December 1957 edition of African Wildlife which I thought was quite interesting. I will type the letter out and attach the photo below it.
Sir. We read and hear a lot about the "circus lions" of the Lower Sabi Road. It seems that Letaba may be forming a troupe of " circus elephants." There are a couple of bulls that rest under the big trees near the camp gate and, last year, one came right up to the fence to the delight of myself and all the other camera owners. There must have been thousands of pounds worth of equipment focused on this elephant, and he hardly seemed to notice all this attention. Once or twice he opened out his ears and took a few steps towards us. It was in this attitude that I "caught" him in my viewfinder. You will notice the fence in the foreground. One tourist threw all the regulations to the winds and rolled two oranges under the wire - these were immediately consumed and Jumbo was all eyes for more. Name witheld. I sincerely hope that I am not breaking any copyright by copying this letter and photo onto this thread. If I am it is not done intentionally.

DSC_0851 (Medium) by Richard Gillatt, on Flickr

The brown mark is not on the original photo. Not sure what caused that.

Unread postPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 5:17 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

WOW STF Fantastic photos - Thanks for sharing.
The suits shovelling the fire is VERY funny. . . :D

The rule breakers were around in 1957 - Feeding Elephants :big_eyes: Human nature never changes it seems. .

Hope you can find some more :popcorn:

To vote for your FAVOURITE WEBCAM SIGHTING go HERE

My Trip to Marakele National Park- Here

Unread postPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 5:53 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Looking at these photos got me to thinking that a trip to Kruger in the 50's must have been quite an adventure. Looking at the tents and bungalows there does not seem to be much space to pack your clothes away. Where did they store their food for cooking and how did they keep it all cool as there were no shops or restaurants to pop into. No kitchens or utensils in the bungalows. A midnight trip to the loo musr have been quite an adventure. No freezers or cool boxes around to keep food in. How did they do it? I can clearly remember drinking Oros Orange Juice which you had to dilute with water. Did we just drink it at room temperature?

Unread postPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 6:00 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Interesting thoughts? When I was a small girl ('60's) we used to go to a friends farm for the July holidays.. (3 weeks) and there was no electricity. A water tank on top of a cool room which kept the meat and milk etc. cold. We ate venison, impala were shot for the pot and I actually used to help skin them and also make biltong :big_eyes:

Trying to think how our parents had ice in the G&T's?? Maybe they did not have ice, it was winter afterall :D

JJ

To vote for your FAVOURITE WEBCAM SIGHTING go HERE

My Trip to Marakele National Park- Here

Unread postPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 11:44 am 

Thanks for the pics steamtrainfan. :clap: They bring back such memories. There were just as many tents (shown in some of the pics) as there were huts in those days and you weren't sure what accommodation you were going to get sometimes. Normally you didn't have to book in advance then, but if there were only tents available, that's what you got. :D :D

UNITE AGAINST POACHING

Unread postPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 9:33 pm 

Thanks for those pics steamtrainfan. Wish I still had some old photos. My first trip was as Easter Weekend in about 1954. We went up in my Dad's old 48 chev with four other families. We camped at Pretoriuskop. The adults slept on carpeting under a tarpaulin spread over the cars and the children slept in the cars. I was still too young to notice how the food was kept cool or prepared but do remember having an Easter egg hunt. Your pictures do bring back those old memories. Thanks.

We took our children up in about 1970. We stayed on the south and the travelled up to Olifants. The main road was still not tarred and there was no electricity in the camp, only gas and parafin lamps. No telephones, only two way radios in the offices. Absolute magic.

Unread postPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 11:55 pm 

I had a look at the Kruger Park Memories calendar tonight. It contains some great old photos.

Want to know more about the SANParks Honorary Rangers? Visit www.sanparkshr.org

One positive deed is worth more than a thousand critical words.

Unread postPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 5:06 am 

My firts trip to KNP was in the early 50's. My folks were farmers (1 farm in Eastern Transvaal - Lothair/Warburton and 1 in Natal - Baynesfield/Richmond). My Dad would take one of the farm 8 ton trucks loaded with all the "luxuries" one being an old parrafin fridge for the ice in G&T's. I know we ate a fair amount of mealie meal for breakfasts and pre-cooked poitjies for supper. Tea & coffee was always with condenced milk or tinned evaporated milk.
Trips into the park were of a shorter duration than they are now days because of the problem of keeping fresh food etc cold. My mom would follow in the car (1954 Buick)with my sisters and the nanny, whilst I rode with the old man in the truck. It was normaly a very early start when leaving the farm and I always remember Dad breaking into song as the sun came up, something that kind of sounded like the old song "Oh what a beautiful morning, Oh what a beautiful day" from the musical "Oklahoma".
By the way, in regards to the clothing, he used to farm waring a pair of Khaki long pants and and an old tweed jacket and his trade mark every single day of his life was a rose in that dusty,sweaty old jacket's lapel which he picked from moms rose garden every morning.
These trips were usually done in conjunction with uncles,aunts and cousins, so it was always a big group. Once the truck was offloaded a tarp was rigged over the back of the truck for all us kids to sleep under on stretchers and often the men slept under the truck or in hammocks tied between the truck and a tree whilst the women slept in the bungaloes or tents. The old buggers probably could only get as far as the truck after the many G&T's around the fire :wink:
By 1958 or there abouts the fridge was replaced with a "Zero" parrafin chest deap freeze that took 4 labourers to load onto the truck and the trips would then be of a 14 day duration. I don't recall him ever taking any pics in those days, so can't help out in that area :cry:

Unread postPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 7:52 pm 
Guru
Guru

Dear All,

This is superb stuff and great that you are able and willing to share. To all that knew the Kruger of years gone bye, the memories are very special and will be treasured as long as we live. LeighVlasso those slides you were going to dump are superb both in quality and content! Yes, the pic marked Pretoriuskop is in fact Orpen and the pic marked Phalaborwa Gate is the old Punda Maria gate which no longer exists at that site but now at the outer gate. Steamtrainfan, those B&W are absolutely superb and each pic tells a story! Also VGStephens, great pics too. Chip most interesting your mention of Mr van der Veen. He was appointed in KNP as James Stevenson-Hamiltons personal assistant in the 30's and ended up as the first Head of Tourism of Kruger, a most remarkable guy and one of those of the old timers I would have like to have met! As the unofficial archivist of SANParksTourism (KNP esp), I have quite a collection of old pics from both SANParks archive (that I scanned on own account) as well as contributions from public. I humbly request permission to obtain copies of these old pics from forum members to add to collection. Please consider. Many thanks. JOEP

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 196 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 14  Next