SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 197 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 14  Next
 Post subject: Re: Old photos of Kruger
Unread postPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 8:56 pm 
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

FAC Member (2012)
Okie, I remember that, and it was so cheap!!!!

Unread postPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 9:55 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Yes VGS , including a nice bottel of red wine :lol: . And we stayed in a small rondavel , with just a bed in it , and it also cost almost nothing , but we had to make our rfeservations 11 months ahead as soon as bookings opened , and you took whatever was available . Our daughter was 3 months old , and lay in the carrycot on the backseat , and just about every time we saw something exiting , then she started to howl . :big_eyes: Real fun days they were :whistle:

Next :
3 - 6 Sept 2013 - Punda.
7 - 10 Sept 2013 -Shingwedzi .
11 - 13 Sept 2013 - Balule .
14 - 17 Sept 2013 - Satara .

Unread postPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 9:44 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

The animals still look the same....just the quality of the photos has changed!! :D

I can remember our first trip to Kruger in the '70s was in my Dad's new brown :lol: Audi. We had no binocs :roll: , no cooler box for drinks and no map. So we basically had no idea where we were going, and were dehydrated getting there!! :lol:

Our next trips were more organised but I now wonder how we managed to fit everything in those 'old' cars?!! :hmz:

SAY NO TO HOTEL DEVELOPMENTS IN KRUGER

Unread postPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 10:10 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Sorry no :cam: of old but my first trip to Kruger was in 1970. First camp was Pretorious Kop @ R35.00 a bungalow 2 people sharing per night complete with toilet shower and a working aircon.

My Dads car was a Valiant with a beeeeg boot as I remember so everything fitted.

I also remember our first lion sighting on Ellof Street. A lioness with a treated wound behind her left shoulder covered in gengin violet. Was rather scary as she was close to the car and the back window had come off its winding mechanism and could not close. You could count the ticks eyes not just the ticks, she was that close.

We also had a rule in those days which is still observed by our whole family today (40 years on) that no car radio`s were allowed to be played once we had entered the park.

Nature does not hurry, yet everything is accomplished Lao Tzu

Shingwedzi 27/12/14 to 30/12/14
Satara 31/12/14 to 04/01/15
Lower Sabie 05/01/15 to 10/01/15

Unread postPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 10:43 am 
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

FAC Member (2012)
Sparrow wrote:
We also had a rule in those days which is still observed by our whole family today (40 years on) that no car radio`s were allowed to be played once we had entered the park.

Definitely no radio once in the park!!! and no litter!!!!

I remember those R35 bungalows with kitchen and ensuite!!!!
Where did it all go wrong!! :cry: :cry:

Oh dear I sound like an old moaner don't I, and I can't wait to get back there, whatever the case!! :dance: :dance:

Unread postPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 11:05 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

alf wrote:
My brother has found an old map from my dad from 1967. There they mentioned that the north of the park from Letaba up were closed for public during summer months. I wonder why? Maybe heat??

I speak under correction but I think it was because of the rainy season making most roads and rivers impassable.

Unread postPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 11:20 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

alf wrote:
My brother has found an old map from my dad from 1967. There they mentioned that the north of the park from Letaba up were closed for public during summer months. I wonder why

In the little book Kruger Q & A's 1981 edition (up for auction btw) It states, and I quote:-
Q. Are all the camps open throughout the year?
A. In the past only certain camps were open during the summer months because the number of visitors to the Park did not justify the cost of keeping more camps open. It was then planned that the whole Park would be open all year round from March 1977.

So there it is from the horses mouth, so to speak! :D

To vote for your FAVOURITE WEBCAM SIGHTING go HERE

My Trip to Marakele National Park- Here

Unread postPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 11:36 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2012)
alf wrote:
My brother has found an old map from my dad from 1967. There they mentioned that the north of the park from Letaba up were closed for public during summer months. I wonder why? Maybe heat??

My AA road atlas of 1969 says that the whole of Kruger was open from 1 May to 15 October. However only P/kop, Skukuza and Olifants remained open all year. Strange enough, Satara was not included. The roads and malaria were the problem.

It appears that the northern section of Kruger was not considered to be worth visiting. My atlas shows Kruger as part of the Eastern Transvaal and then has a separate page for the southern section, with more detail, but no separate page for the northern section.

Unread postPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 11:44 am 

Thanks Glen79 for bringing this great thread to my attention. It certainly brings back fantastic memories to me as I first went to Kruger in 1946. A special year because that was the year Col. James Stevenson-Hamilton and ranger Harry Wolhuter both retired from Kruger.

Apart from the given reasons for the park only being open in the winter, was the threat of malaria during the wet summer months. Only Pretoriuskop, the old Malelane gate camp, Crocodile Bridge and a few huts at Skukuza were open. These huts had flyscreens on the verandahs. I'm referring to the time Noah fell out of the ark. I think that later, the park opened a little further North as well. They used to spray these huts with DDT in the early days.

My dad was a friend of a Mr. van der Veen who was, I think, in charge of purchasing supplies for the camps in Kruger in the early days. Once, during a hasty preparation for lunch when visitors rocked up, my dad nearly severed two of his fingers, cutting open a tin of something with an antiquaited tin opener. We ran to Mr. van der Veen who was able, by looking up the reservations book, to direct us to a visiting doctor, who stitched them up with his wife's needle and thread. To his dying day those fingers never worked properly again.

UNITE AGAINST POACHING

Unread postPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 11:49 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

My dad has told us of his first trip to Kruger in the late '50s or early '60s, and staying in rondavels with no windows - there was just a gap between the wall and the roof for air. The beds were steel frames with no mattresses - you had to take your own, which my dad and his friends did not know, so they ended up sleeping on the springs!!

Oh...for the good old days!! :lol:

Unread postPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 12:21 pm 

Wow that is very interesting. It also says on this old map that you need to hire bedding at 30 cents per person per night. Breakfast at the restaurant cost 40c, lunch at 50c and dinner 60c per person.

Unread postPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 12:25 pm 

Flutterby, your dad must have had some bad luck getting a bed without a mattress. Since 1946, I remember that there was never a problem getting a mattress with the bed. The problem was the mattress itself. All were thin, coir mattresses and extremely uncomfortable, but nobody ever complained (too loudly, anyhow) The beds were those black steel and very high (hospital) beds. My dad, being an AA member (not Alcoholics Anonymous) always used to try and book the AA hut for the family. Malelane, Skukuza and Pretoriuskop were camps that each had an AA hut. It was a large rondavel that had six beds around the circumverence with a pole in the middle of the hut. There was a wash stand next to the door, with a large enamel jug and basin. Each hut was allocated two hurricane lamps and a pottie or two. A green metal foldup table and chairs made up the rest of the furniture in the hut.
The doors to some of the huts had a lookout hole that you had to look through before exiting, to see that you had no friendly four legged visitors outside looking for breakfast. :cam: were in the form of a Kodak 'box' camera and I don't know where to start looking for pics. Those were good days.

UNITE AGAINST POACHING

Unread postPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 3:52 pm 

Taken in Shingwedzi Camp. August 1977. Communal "braai" area with huts in the background. Assume it is the B circle.

Addo
Mt. Zebra

Unread postPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 4:09 pm 

Does anyone know what happened to this old fire engine that used to be parked next to the petrol station at Shingwedzi Camp.
Taken June 1996.

Addo
Mt. Zebra

Last edited by Jen on Wed Sep 08, 2010 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Unread postPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 8:20 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

steamtrainfan wrote:
Looking at the old photos I find it totally mind blowing that the guys wore long pants and jackets while travelling around.

I can remember, in the '70s and '80s, seeing women driving/walking around with curlers in their hair!! Always wondered...if they could go out in public like that what were they doing their hair for? :lol:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 197 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 14  Next