Skip to Content

Historical Pafuri

Annaluisa

Historical Pafuri

Unread postby Annaluisa » Mon Jun 23, 2008 8:48 pm

Greetings

As a child I had the privilege of spending many a holiday at Pafuri, at the home of a family friend who was involved with the KNP but - if I remember correctly - was also employed by the mine labour organisation, Wenela. Their house was on top of a hill, with a wraparound verandah. Does anyone on the Forum know whether this house is still standing, and if so, whether it is accessible from any of the roads around Pafuri?

wildtuinman
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread postby wildtuinman » Tue Jun 24, 2008 10:49 am

Sounds like the TEBA house and yes it is still standing.
Latest Lifer(s): Buff-spotted Flufftail, Tree Pipit, Dimorphic Egret, Lesser Jacana

Follow me as I bird on Twitter @wildtuinman

Annaluisa

Historical Pafuri

Unread postby Annaluisa » Thu Jul 31, 2008 4:50 pm

Many thanks for your response, and my apologies for only replying now, but I was unable to access the site the day before we left on holiday. In fact we did visit the 'TEBA' house, which is where our friends used to live - not only does it look almost exactly the same, but we found out that you can hire it, so we plan to do just that sometime in the future.

Thanks again.

Peter Betts

Unread postby Peter Betts » Sat Aug 02, 2008 8:50 am

Wasnt that the Mockrofts house ...they lived there for decades and had a couple of rare Sunis running around there garden...when I was a kid. Now its famous for Racquet Tailed Roller sightings
Punda Maria Sept 27,28
Bateleur Sept 29,30 (free award)
Tamboti Oct 1,2,3,4
Biyamiti Oct 5,6,7,8

FGASA Local Area Guide

Nikon D700 FX, Nikkor 24-70 G f2.8, Nikkor 70-200VR f2.8, Nikkor 200-400 VR f4, Nikon 1.4 & 1.7 Convertors

Annaluisa

Historical Pafuri

Unread postby Annaluisa » Mon Aug 11, 2008 7:40 pm

My apologies, I missed your reply. The people who lived in the house for many years were the Mockfords. I don't remember the sunis, but they did have a couple of otters who lived there. It was a magical place and I was amazed to see how little it had changed.

Tumble Weed
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Tumble Weed » Tue Aug 12, 2008 9:36 am

I was forunate to spend a lot of time there as my parents managed the place for around five years. Went back last October and it's still the same :wink: although the tar road has spoilt the feeling of isolation a bit. The road is fairly busy now with all the vehicles going into Mozambique and you get cars coming through fairly late at night :?

Return to “History, Archeology and Culture”