Skip to Content

Historic Houses/Cottages/Rondawels of the Kruger

Annaluisa

Historical Pafuri

Unread postby Annaluisa » Mon Jun 23, 2008 8:48 pm

Greetings

As a child I had the privilege of spending many a holiday at Pafuri, at the home of a family friend who was involved with the KNP but - if I remember correctly - was also employed by the mine labour organisation, Wenela. Their house was on top of a hill, with a wraparound verandah. Does anyone on the Forum know whether this house is still standing, and if so, whether it is accessible from any of the roads around Pafuri?

wildtuinman
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Birder of the Year (2013)

Unread postby wildtuinman » Tue Jun 24, 2008 10:49 am

Sounds like the TEBA house and yes it is still standing.
Latest Lifer(s): Buff-spotted Flufftail, Tree Pipit, Dimorphic Egret, Lesser Jacana, Citrine Wagtail, Black-tailed Godwit

Follow me as I bird on Twitter @wildtuinman

Annaluisa

Historical Pafuri

Unread postby Annaluisa » Thu Jul 31, 2008 4:50 pm

Many thanks for your response, and my apologies for only replying now, but I was unable to access the site the day before we left on holiday. In fact we did visit the 'TEBA' house, which is where our friends used to live - not only does it look almost exactly the same, but we found out that you can hire it, so we plan to do just that sometime in the future.

Thanks again.

Peter Betts

Unread postby Peter Betts » Sat Aug 02, 2008 8:50 am

Wasnt that the Mockrofts house ...they lived there for decades and had a couple of rare Sunis running around there garden...when I was a kid. Now its famous for Racquet Tailed Roller sightings
Punda Maria Sept 27,28
Bateleur Sept 29,30 (free award)
Tamboti Oct 1,2,3,4
Biyamiti Oct 5,6,7,8

FGASA Local Area Guide

Nikon D700 FX, Nikkor 24-70 G f2.8, Nikkor 70-200VR f2.8, Nikkor 200-400 VR f4, Nikon 1.4 & 1.7 Convertors

Annaluisa

Historical Pafuri

Unread postby Annaluisa » Mon Aug 11, 2008 7:40 pm

My apologies, I missed your reply. The people who lived in the house for many years were the Mockfords. I don't remember the sunis, but they did have a couple of otters who lived there. It was a magical place and I was amazed to see how little it had changed.

Tumble Weed
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Tumble Weed » Tue Aug 12, 2008 9:36 am

I was forunate to spend a lot of time there as my parents managed the place for around five years. Went back last October and it's still the same :wink: although the tar road has spoilt the feeling of isolation a bit. The road is fairly busy now with all the vehicles going into Mozambique and you get cars coming through fairly late at night :?

Grantmissy
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
FAC Member (2013)

Historic Houses/Cottages/Rondawels of the Kruger

Unread postby Grantmissy » Thu Feb 05, 2015 11:16 am

According to Sanparks the historic TEBA facilities and the old SAPS House at Punda Maria are being renovated. I was not aware that there is an old SAPS House at Punda Maria. I assume when renovated, those heritage Sanparks facilities will be made available to Kruger visitors to book like any other Kruger accommodation through the normal Sanparks reservation system. It will be an enriched experience for Kruger visitors to be able to stay in those heritage/historical houses/cottages. Has anyone stayed in the Old SAPS Punda Maria House before?
“Whether it's the best of times or the worst of times, it's the only time we've got.”

Grantmissy
FAC Member (2013)

Re: Historic Houses/Cottages/Rondawels of the Kruger

Unread postby Grantmissy » Sun Feb 08, 2015 11:13 am

I can't find any historical information on the old SAPS house but in the book Neem uit die Verlede it is written that in 1935 new huts in the Knapp style were built in Skukuza, Crocodile Bridge and Letaba. These huts were square with corrugated iron roofs and the walls were built from hollow cement blocks. Apparently these huts were exceptionally ugly and were not popular at all :)
“Whether it's the best of times or the worst of times, it's the only time we've got.”

Imberbe

Unread postby Imberbe » Sun Feb 08, 2015 10:41 pm

I have been to the old police house two years ago when it still was in ruins. I believe it has been restored. It would have been a major project as it was not in a good condition. The plan is to make it available as guest accommodation.

It is just outside of the fence of the camp. It is visible from the road before entering the camp itself.

I believe it will be a great place to stay.
Imberbe = Combretum imberbe = Leadwood = Hardekool = The spirit of the Wildernis!

Want to know more about the SANParks Honorary Rangers? Visit www.sanparksvolunteers.org

One positive deed is worth more than a thousand critical words.

Grantmissy
FAC Member (2013)

Unread postby Grantmissy » Mon Feb 09, 2015 7:13 am

Thank you Imberbe :thumbs_up: . This old house, once restored, could be popular with visitors to Punda Maria Camp.

Lepardfan
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Lepardfan » Wed Feb 11, 2015 7:50 am

Is there maybe some pics of these buildings.

I would love to see what they look like or used to look like.
I love to think of nature as an unlimited broadcasting station, through which God speaks to us every hour, if we will only tune in. ~George Washington Carver

One day closer to my next visit

Grantmissy
FAC Member (2013)

Unread postby Grantmissy » Wed Feb 11, 2015 9:59 am

Such photos if they exist, would be interesting to see Lepardfan.

Some of the guest houses in the Kruger are also becoming historical in a sense as some were built more than 25 years ago. Staying in the Stanley Cottage in Satara is like being transported back in time. Those Balule Rondawels are all historical and they remain very popular with many Kruger visitors. In Lower-Sabie those one person huts grouped together like finch nests are also very old Kruger style. When entering Pretoriuskop a person gets a feeling of days gone by with all those classic Kruger Rondawels there. Some of the family cottages behind the outdoors “in true Kruger fashion” cinema towards the fence has a sign indicating that they were built for the visit of the British Royal Family in the 1940’s.

Lepardfan
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Lepardfan » Wed Feb 11, 2015 10:18 am

Very true Grantmissy.

I love the old charm of Balule and PK. they are some of our favourite camps. Just staying in these old huts makes one wonder just how awesome it must have been to go Kruger parking in those days.
I love to think of nature as an unlimited broadcasting station, through which God speaks to us every hour, if we will only tune in. ~George Washington Carver

One day closer to my next visit

Grantmissy
FAC Member (2013)

Unread postby Grantmissy » Wed Feb 11, 2015 10:38 am

Lepardfan staying in all those Kruger huts do have a very strong appeal and a person can very easily start thinking and imagining those days way back in history when sitting at the braai fire in front of your Hut or Rondawel in the evening. And now Sanparks is adding the Old Police House at Punda Maria and the Old TEBA cacilities at Pafuri to the Kruger charm for those who would like to stay there . When we were in the Kruger in December there was a book that was sold in the Camp shops about the history but when we went to Skukuza on our last day in the Park the book was sold out. Perhaps they will get new stock when we visit later this year. I do not know whether they have included all these historical Kruger architecture in the book though.

Philip1
Award: Quiz Whiz of the Year (2014)

Unread postby Philip1 » Wed Feb 11, 2015 10:54 am

:thumbs_up: Thank you Grantmissy for "Historic Houses/Cottages/Rondawels of the Kruger". :clap:
:( Some people should see it through your eyes, because their eyes don't see it. (Only animals)

Lepardfan, I loved it when the staff came around to light the Lanterns at Balule. :D
"Lose yourself in Nature and find Peace!" (Ralph Waldo Emerson)
UNITE AGAINST POACHING...What we protect,
do not let poachers take it away!

Extinction is forever and survival is up to---every last one of us!

Return to “History, Archeology and Culture”