Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 198 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 14  Next
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 1:07 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

I've decided to stay away from the restuarants and rather braai an extra day.

As kids we loved the restaurants, but mainly for one thing - melba toast and butter. In those days it was the only be place we could get it and we loved it.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 1:21 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

People from Phalaborwa used to drive in for a Sunday lunch at Olifants or Letaba. Might even have slowed down at a lion kill en-route. :roll:
Would be interesting to hear if it still happens.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 1:43 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

They may still slow down for a lion kill - of the other I am not so sure .

Done 144 visits to National Parks.
What a wonderful privilege.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 3:10 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Imax, we also used to love the melba toast :lol: I miss those old menus and simply do not go the reatuarants anymore. I'd rather braai and make salads. At least I know what I'm eating and that its good quality. I buy my meat at my local butcher and he vacuum packs it for me 8)

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 11:47 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Dec 1983 and we were staying in Pretoriuskop.Travelling through KRUGER this trip we saw many dead snakes killed on the road.My two daughters then 9 and 7 years old respectively were very eager to see a live snake.One morning we drove from Pretoriuskop to where Afsaal is now then up to Skukuza and then H1-1 to Pretoriuskop.Driving I saw a snake crossing the road just before the S65 turnoff.I drove closer slowly and let it pass to the south side of the LANDY.When the green snake reached the side of the road (off the tar ) it turned over and feigned dead.I was parked about 1.5 metres from it . We all watched this snake through the left windows.After a while the snake slowly started tasting the air and turned over very very slowly.It started moving towards the LANDY , I started the vehicle and drove off, looking in the rear view mirror I saw no snake.Enquiring to my wife about whether she had seen the snake after driving off, the reply was negative.Concerned about the whereabouts I drove very slowly and stopped for even the most slightest possibility of a sighting of anything - what had happened to the snake ? We saw some Lions along the road and spent much more time there than we normally would have.I drove on the edge of the road ( the dirt ) hoping that the shaking of the vehicle would get rid of the snake ( should it still be there).After about three hours we arrived at Pretoriuskop.I told the family to get out fast as we were going to the shop.We spent some time there and then told them to go to the restaurant so that they could all have a milk shake each I would join them in a few minutes .I then decided to have the LANDY refuelled (still cheap in those days). I drove up to the filling station , stopping I told the attendant to just stay clear as I wanted to check something under the vehicle. I looked and there he was on the rear differential . I told the attendant to wait because there was a snake in the vehicle . I got a stick and tried to chase it off but no luck , if I was on the left side it would move to the the right and when I went to the right side it moved to the left.By now there was quite an audience congregating watching the goings on. In the meantime the snake was getting impatient and was hissing and rearing . I then asked the attendant whether he had any aerosol spray , he brought me I think it was doom, and I sprayed at the snake and it got off the diff. and fled . Unfortunately it did not get very far as the attendant and of his friends were by that time well armed with sticks and stones. I then calculated that the snake had travelled with us for approximately 35 Km . What was amazing to me was how fast it must have moved to get onto the differential as the LANDY kicked and started immediately and we were off in wink.The children got their snake sighting , but also more than they expected

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 1:15 pm 

tHATS VERY INTERESTING ! :hmz:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 4:45 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Phew Thats scary g,lsmit :shock:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 8:43 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Not such an "old Kruger story" which I have related on another thread , but which may be interesting ..

A trails ranger told me how a wilderness trailist was brushing his/her hair after showering and thought it strange that water droplets were falling on his hand even though the hair was nearly dry . He then realised that a cobra in the roof rafters of the hut about a metre above his head was spitting venom on his hand in reaction to his hand movements .

KNP is sacred. I am opposed to the modernisation of Kruger and from the depths of my soul long for the Kruger of yesteryear! 1000+km on foot in KNP incl 56 wild trails.200+ nights in the wildernessndloti-indigenous name for serval.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 9:23 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

You have heard of snakes faking death... well if that was the case with me and the cobra, I would be lying near to death in the shower.... :lol:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 9:46 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Fortunately snakes seldom cause humans any harm, again the cobra acted defensively.Christmas eve 1986 we were in Shingwedzi together with friends who were camping close to the fence. We had the normal braai and sat chatting and just enjoying being there. All of a sudden my friend Jan said a snake had just gone over his foot ( we were both barefoot ) . I replied Jan that is not possible , by now Jan was feat and all on top of his chair and so was everyone else in our company.I did not believe the snake story . I switched on my torch and looked - there were the marks in the sand where Jan's feet were of a snake. I followed the track and found a Common Egg eater heading towards palm bush , by now there was quite an audience.To save the snake I picked it up and dropped it over the fence , Jan and many others thought I was a bit crazy as they believed in what the Bible says about what should happen to snakes.

Post subject: old kruger park stories
Unread postPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 7:25 pm 

Thanks everybody for welcoming in your midst, I appreciate it.
As Skopsie has correctly stated, I am six current reports behind. However, before I get to them, here is another trip down memory lane.
I joined my father during the winter of 1960 or maybe 1961 on a poacher control trip north of the Letaba River up against the Kruger’s border. We crossed the Letaba at “The Slab”, some 20km upstream of the Kruger and went north via Bend Store, which had since developed into today’s Giyani. From there we went east to the border of the Kruger and travelled south along the newly erected border game fence checking for ellies that had broken through the fence into the adjoining then Bantu Trust area. We saw a number of places where they had broken through as these spots had been marked by the Kruger rangers who had repaired the fence. We came across one new spot and I walked through the opening, and in doing so, entered the Kruger for the second time in my life. We called on a nearby local leader, in those days known as a “Captain” to enquire if the ellies were still around and what damage they might have done to his crops. The ellies had returned to the park, breaking the fence again to gain access. As no crops were on the fields, there was no damage to be done and thus no action for my father’s 0.375 rifle. We camped on the bank of the Letaba just more than 2km upstream of the Kruger and returned home a day or two later.
Groetnis.

Post subject: Old stories
Unread postPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 8:44 pm 
This is really fascinating reading! :clap:

Welcome kameelperd and others!

As I have repeatedly stated on other forums, I have a collection of the old CUSTOS magazines, from the then Parks Board, dating from the early 70's. (That include pics from the Park's inception!)

I have posted some digital camera "scans", but it is a laborious and "hit and miss"process!

Many of the previous stories would be supported by endless photo scans, but I do not have a scanner, and cannot afford one, end of story!

So should someone have one lying around, please pm me!

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 9:09 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

This is what they call a BULL SABLE BULL -magnificent.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 9:38 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

It was great reading this.

We visited the park regularly in the early 70's but I did most of my visits while working at Ngodwana and Phalaborwa through the 80's.

From Phalaborwa it was an easy drive in when we had a break for lunch at Letaba, usually getting to see a fair amount of game. The old restaurant there was fantastic with a really good buffet for next to nothing. Was always an opportunity to stock up on the reserve biltong as well.

I must say, I was not impressed with the new cafe style restaurants at the camps (new to me - the trip I took in June was the first time since 1991 that I've been in the Kruger).

When working at Ngodwana and living in Nelspruit it was an easy early drive into the park, usually with our own lunch and grog stocks and get out just before closing.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 3:27 pm 

Ah, all these stories are great!

Who remembers how baron and far away certain get-out points used to seem. Where you were the only car there, and could purchase a cold drink (still in refundable glass bottles) from the lone attendant.

I have to agree with Timepilot, the new resturants and caffeterias are not fabulous at all. :(

But still, nothing beats the feeling you get the moment you drive through the park gates on the first day of any given visit!

We are into a new genration of Kruger, and with this, a new generation of storie-tellers will be born!

Long live the memories :wink:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 198 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 14  Next