Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 138 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next
 Post subject: Lions PIC at Skukuza
Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 5:46 pm 

Can someone recall the big old poster that used to be in the Skukuza Cafeteria. There were some cubs drinking water.

I reckon about 4 or more meters by 1.5 or so.

Wonder what happened to it?

Post subject: is it a funny story, or sad?
Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 6:59 pm 

We just recently moved (downscaled) into a smaller home now that the kids have left. We discovered during the clean up operation, a KNP invoice for a 2 week holiday over easter school holiday for my parents and myself and sister. The total bill was R1.65. Is this possible. Ok, they date was 1961. What on earth is happening to our money??!!

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 10:25 pm 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

I still remember that there were a "fliek" (film) each night, and everybody gathered to watch. I think it still happens some evenings at a few camps, but it is no longer inherently part of the character of going to the park.

Also, everyone greeted each other when driving past. I still do ... which causes some interesting reactions!

Want to know more about the SANParks Honorary Rangers? Visit www.sanparkshr.org

One positive deed is worth more than a thousand critical words.

Post subject: KNP Movies
Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 8:23 am 

For us the main event in the evening as kids was the movie. We could not wait for 8PM for the movie to start.

It was great stuff.

Can you guys remember the old Skukuza Shop layout and reception.

Where the post office was to the left there used to be pictures of animals against the wall that was made of small pieces of tiles if I am correct. Then the reception to the left and then the shop.

I can remember the train when it went through the park. It used to make a hellova noise.

Up to the late 80's you could still see some of the tracks on the Skukuza/Pretoriuskop road.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 5:41 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Skukuza reception was roughly where the right hand side of the shop is , and to the right of it Volkskas bank was housed in 2 rondawels . (circa 1984)

KNP is sacred. I am opposed to the modernisation of Kruger and from the depths of my soul long for the Kruger of yesteryear! 1000+km on foot in KNP incl 56 wild trails.200+ nights in the wildernessndloti-indigenous name for serval.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 10:01 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

I dont actually remember this but....my mom always talks about how in the old kruger animals frequently came into the camp!!!!

Also how there was no electricity they used pariffin lamps and gas ones aswel....those must have been the best times to be in kruger....almost at one with nature!

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 6:16 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
There was nothing like the hiss of the parrifin lamp.

I loved to watch the golden colour as it lit up and the excitement of the approaching dark.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 7:14 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Funniest/Best Forumite Name (2013)
FAC Member (2012)
Animals STILL come into camps Mike, in the last few years, we have seen civet & genet in Biyamiti, bushbuck in Letaba, impala in Pkop, AWC in Tamboti (where there is also honey badger - and in Satara - and an elephant got in and had to me chased out), BBJ in Nossob & Twee Rivieren (where a lioness thought the forecourt of the garage was a nice place to sun herself), and a year or so a leopard was shot in Letaba.

Post subject: this really does go back a while
Unread postPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 12:56 pm 

I see ther are lots of 'oldies' on this site! Does ANYONE remember a resort called SHLARALUMI. what happened to it? I seem to think it was near the Orpen camp area. i have many happy memories as a child especially of the night time concerts in the lapa there.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 1:10 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

I stand to be corrected on this , I think it became Motswari Mbali .

KNP is sacred. I am opposed to the modernisation of Kruger and from the depths of my soul long for the Kruger of yesteryear! 1000+km on foot in KNP incl 56 wild trails.200+ nights in the wildernessndloti-indigenous name for serval.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 8:26 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Sadly my first ever trip to the park was in May 2000 just after the floods. I remember twisted rails on the green bridge between Skukuza and Lower Sabie, and lots of debris still around the place.
We spent just one night at Skukuza then, and I was still to discover the delights that Kruger has to offer....... Now I cannot get enough of it!

Have you read the gate leaflet? Do you KNOW the regulations?

Completed over 5 years in Kruger in my caravan.

If I were normal I wouldn't be me!

Post subject: Kruger in 30 years
Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 7:54 am 

Let's promote conservation as much as we can and ensure the Kruger is still there in 30 years for the people to tell stories about.

I wonder what people like Wolhuter, Stevenson Hamilton, Aderndorff, Orpen and the like would say when they see Kruger today.

Can anyone remember the time in the late 70's when they shot 50 or 60 lions in the Skukuza and LS area?

My father related this to us? Any info on this would be welcome.

Regards to all.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 8:05 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
I have a very keen interest in history.
I do believe that the spirit of Stevenson-Hamilton lives on at the memorial tablets sites.

Certain roads are particularly significant. When I travel the Old Voortrekker road I try to imagine a time of transport riders and the untamed outback. There is a small memorial to a young German who accidently shot himself in the leg and subsequently died.
Sadly, many plaques in Kruger are unreadable at the moment, so the history is lost to the tourist.

Post subject: Kruger
Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 12:05 pm 

When we at the Jock birth place i saw the one plaque was removed.

Just imagine having shot yourself with a shotgun. Leg off and blood poisening is setting in. All of this in the middle of the african bush.

There was a book written by Gus Aderndorf about his experiences in the Kruger while being a ranger. Well worth the read if you can find it.

I sometimes wonder how many of us modern people would survive a week in the bush with just the same equipment that the pioneers of old had.

BTW. The tree that Harry Wolhuter crawled up used to be cemented close to the place where it happened. Does someone know if it is still there or has it gone lost in time?

Post subject: Very old Kruger memories
Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 9:09 pm 

Hi there all you Kruger lovers.
I have just returned from 5 nights Shingwedzi & 5 nights Orpen but this is a story of old times and I will tell you about this trip at a later stage.
I remember in the very old days when my mom would have to book a call to Skukuza to make our booking.
There were no fridges in the camps then so mom would go to a shop in central JHB that sold dry ice and buy 2 blocks on the afternoon before we left.
We would either stay at Skukuza or Lower Sabie for 4 nights and believe it or not the meat that we packed in our polystyrene box with the dry ice kept our food frozen.
We would leave at midnight and the hardboiled eggs and coffee would be ready for our stop over at Old Joe. Radio Highveld kept us company all the way to Numbi gate where we would arrive at around 05-45.
We would wait with anticipation for those great big gates to open and be so proud of the yet another Kruger sticker to put on the windscreen and the big brown rubbish bag that we were given on arrival and then the excitement of seeing our first impala WOW what excitement.
The huts had no showers or toilets so everyone used the communal I can remember my mom being the last one to shower one evening and she wasn’t back in our hut after being gone for an hour so dad went looking for her and found her wondering around lost as the lights had gone out.
You see in those days there were generators and they switched them off at 21-00.
Waking up in the morning mom would go to the big old urn next to the kitchen to fill the flask with boiling water for coffee.
The sarmies and rusks would be packed and we would be in the queue waiting for the gate to open.
Something else I remember is that in the summer months there was a huge tree trunk put across the road at Letaba.
You were not allowed to go further north and I can’t remember the reason why.
Maybe someone can help with this.
The cost of a hut in the late 60’s was R 12.50
O.K. so now you are wondering how old I am, well I’m old enough to tell you that I have just arrived back after a long trip back from Orpen gate and it is 20-30 and I am on a high after an awesome 10 days in my wonderful paradise called Kruger which I think is about my 120th visit.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 138 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next