Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 198 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 14  Next
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 4:25 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

My dad still blames my mother and me for not being able to go on his yearly Kruger excursion the one year.

We couldn't help it, I was being born! :redface:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 11:07 am 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

So inconsiderate of you! :roll:

Want to know more about the SANParks Honorary Rangers? Visit www.sanparkshr.org

One positive deed is worth more than a thousand critical words.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 7:58 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Off on two weeks fishing. Please fill up the forum so that I can also share in your experiences :D :)

Done 144 visits to National Parks.
What a wonderful privilege.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 8:42 pm 

It all depends about telling people of sightings...Too often people stop at your window and ask and you tell them there is a pride of lions making its way towards the road and then they move 5 metres forward and start talking loadly and leave the engine running and and and...the lions come into view on the path in Kruger I am at 50 metres away and on hearing the din many times turn and go a different way and I have ruined a sighting and photo opp opportunity by being nice...so I am generally in the Ndloti camp here and just sit tight and they move on and the sighting happens. I was naughty once in Addo. I was with Lirritma (On the Forum) taking pics of my best ever Caracal sighting on Domkrag. I called Gerrit on my Cell because I know that he knows how to handle himself in the bush and he has bush etiquette. He parked discreetly nearby switched off as I emptied CF Cards..along comes noisy ...very noisy vehicle and stopped just as the caracal went temporaly behind a bush 4 metres from me and I told the driver that I was looking at Doves at which time the 4x4 sped off and left Gerrit and I with another 20 minutes of undisturbed sighting and irreplacable pics... but everytime I am finished at a sighting and I have travelled say 1 km and come across a tourist car with a couple in I stop and tell them exactly where the lions are and where on their map and I have been known to turn around and lead them to the sighting...Very often this leads to friendship and emails and my international network grows ...but like Ndloti I dont appreciate inconsiderate pirate viewers who wreck sightings so my rule is when I am finished...pics in the bag do I help and point out and guide folks to the object of my interest

Tamboti Oct 1,2,3,4
Biyamiti Oct 5,6,7,8

FGASA Local Area Guide

Nikon D700 FX, Nikkor 24-70 G f2.8, Nikkor 70-200VR f2.8, Nikkor 200-400 VR f4, Nikon 1.4 & 1.7 Convertors

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 10:27 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

EDIT I removed it Imberbe, indeed not the right topic

Last edited by G@mespotter on Sat Aug 09, 2008 11:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 11:34 pm 

Want to know more about the SANParks Honorary Rangers? Visit www.sanparkshr.org

One positive deed is worth more than a thousand critical words.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 7:16 am 

Can anyone remember camping in the Kruger in the 1950's and 60's where you would be woken up @ about 04h00 by staff shovelling coal into the stoves etc to heat the water in the bathrooms and kitchen units...I can still hear that in my mind...nowadays its all electric geysers and gas etc...miss it for sure

Tamboti Oct 1,2,3,4
Biyamiti Oct 5,6,7,8

FGASA Local Area Guide

Nikon D700 FX, Nikkor 24-70 G f2.8, Nikkor 70-200VR f2.8, Nikkor 200-400 VR f4, Nikon 1.4 & 1.7 Convertors

Post subject: Re: Old Kruger park Stories
Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 2:47 am 

Wow, Just stumbled upon this forum and boy has it brought back some good memories.

I visited the Kruger in 85 and stopped at Skukuza and a couple more in my stay (was there a elephants or Oliphants camp?).

Out of all my memories of staying in South Africa the stay at the park ranks among the best and I have some great memories of SA. I remember traveling up there from Pretoria and staying in Nelspruit along the way and visiting a very old colonial town still like it was a 100 or so years ago, maybe older, I forget the name.

We would be up before dawn and be 1st at the gates waiting to get out as we had been told that the first car sees the lions on the road because the roads would hold the heat for them to laze about on (how true this is I dont know), but we did see our fair share of wildlife.

I remember being blown away by the whole experience.

One of the camps looked down on either the Crocadile or Limpopo river, we heard and saw the dense vegetation moving around and cracking before we saw the grey of the Elephants, Mozambique was just over the river.

At night I would light a braai and have a few beers with my Dad. One night one of the camps staff came charging over in our direction, I didnt know why at first untill he was only yards away, He was carrying a big stick and waving it above his head and shouting.
He was chasing the big Baboon away that was a few feet away from us, rummaging in the bin next to our rondavel.

Another time out on the road we came across a pride of lions and must have been very close, I remember thinking "that thing could easily put its paws straight through that windscreen if it wants to", it was huge and my Dad in his wisdom thought it would be a good idea to stop and take pictures with the window down slightly.
The Male made some very low rumbles that would send shivers down anyones spine, I remember urging my Dad to back up quickly.

Id love to go back one day but I suspect it wont be the same.

Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 4:13 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Thanks for sharing your great memories with us. Perhaps its time to go back to KNP for another visit and tell us what you think and how its changed?

If you check out the Satara site under the Webcams heading on the Forums page you will be able to share some of the great sightings we have had in the last few days. My own favourites are the elephants who came over a few days ago and the zebra's in the rain yesterday morning. Enjoy!

Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 5:23 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Hi Pod and welcome to the forum!!! Please note the health warning!!!! :twisted:

I also think its time for you to go and visit the park again!!

The currents that shape our lives, flow from the attitudes we nurture everyday!

Unread postPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 10:23 pm 

I’m new to this posting of topics but lets try this again. This is a pic of the tree with the tap in Shingwedzi 1987

Unread postPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 5:52 am 

I want to tell a story of mum and my auntie. If mum and auntie are together and they start laughing they don't stop until they have to do something at the loo. We where on a pickick at Skukuza and quite a distance from the loo, when the laughing fit started. It is as if they make each other laugh, the more the one laughs the more the other one carrries on. They just ran to the nearest open rondawel, while there were people in there and just said they are using the loo. They did not ask they just told them. Then when they where finished they came out and apologised. When they got back to the picknick they started again, this time about the expresions on the faces of those in the rondawel.

Since then they make sure that they are close to the toilets. All I remeber of the Kruger is all the fun we all had, with lots of laughter.

Another funny story (not a very good idea and bad for conservation). We were in the Kruger for a few weeks and there were two couples (in one car) that ended up in the same camps as us and also stayed very close to us everytime. One day we were driving close to Letaba in the late afternoon. There were lions in the road but also a lot of cars and we ended up next to these same people on the road at the back of the traffic. Suddenly there was a big roar and when we look at these people they had two lamp chops on the roof of their car and playing a recording of a lion's roar. When dad asked the guy why he was doing it he said to get the lions to move from the front to the back so that cars in the front can move away and then he can see the lions aswell. Silly man. But the whole sight of these two big fellows (Tolla van der Merwe look-a-likes) in the front, with fancy ladies in the back, lamp chops on the roof and the recording going was very funny. Wished I had a photo.

There is never a dull moment in the Kruger!!!!!!!!!! :lol: :lol:

Unread postPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 12:33 pm 

I must say that I still find most people very friendly in the park, it's like this invisible force field that comes over you when you first drive through the gates that takes all the stress away and lets all the ways of the Kruger in..

My funny story goes like this.. It must have been the late 70s, all sitting the combi bus in the shade on one of the little loops on Shingwedsi. There were two or so Kudu in the shades of the ditch and vervit monkey in the trees. A car pulls up behind us full to the brim with chinese tourist. No problem to them, as they can't seem to see what we are looking at, all get out of the car camera in hand. "what you look?" My dad says Kudu.. before he finishes his sentence.. one of them shout out pointing at the tree " Look at the Coo dooo" :lol: :lol: pointing directly at the monkey's in no time are all shouting look at the kuku pointing at the tree with my dad frantically trying to show them the kudu in the ditch. Then as quickly as they arrived they were gone. Leaving us kid in absolute histerics over the situation. When we see vervits now we'll still say "look at the Kooo dooo" :D :lol:

Unread postPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 1:16 pm 

I told my Mom about my trip coming up.I am taking the International boss of our company to the Kruger next Sept for 24 days.My Mom told me a story,which I think is worth sharing.When she was in her early years (she cant remember 5-8) in the 1950's, my Grandfather who was very senior at AECI was asked to take some senior member of a UK chemical company to the kruger.They all left for kruger and were staying at skuks.The Uk couple were in a seperate car and following my Granfather,Grandmother,Mom and my Aunt who were in the ca infront.They came across a pride of lions.There were many cars around all trying to get a good position.My Grandfather was trying his best to organise and fit the Uk couple into a position to see the lions.Next thing the wife of the UK couple opens her door and starts walking towards the pride.All the South Africans were shouting at her to get back into her car.She turned around and told them not to worry she has seen many lions in the zoo and never once has she had a problem!My aunt who at the time was about 4 says to her Mom,my grandmother "Mommy must I go and get her?" My Gandmother replied "NO!".Eventually she returned to her car as if she had done nothing wrong.Back at Skuks a man who had been at the sighting came over and told them from where he was he could see one of the female lions had started to stalk her just as she had started to return to her car!

Unread postPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 3:00 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Loving these stories

Just to put things into a bit of perspective though - My Dad did not take me to the Kruger as a kid in the 60's and 70's - The reason - He considered it a tourist trap with far too many inconsiderate visitors both in camp and in sightings.

My first Kruger visits started when I was an adult and feeling in need of a bush fix. Now I live and work bush but still return a couple of times a year.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 198 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 14  Next