Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 198 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 14  Next
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 3:46 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

I have this clear recollection from not that many years ago of woodfire fuelled donkeys (geysers / water boilers) in the tourist camps , cameradie around the communal braaifires ....

KNP is sacred. I am opposed to the modernisation of Kruger and from the depths of my soul long for the Kruger of yesteryear! 1000+km on foot in KNP incl 56 wild trails.200+ nights in the wildernessndloti-indigenous name for serval.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 5:02 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Yes we will have a new generation,.How sad that they may not be able to experience what Stevenson Hamilton , Wolhuter ,Sandenbergh,Steyn, Brynard,Pienaar Joubert, Orpen , Knobel ,Eloff Monnig, Ortlepp, Bigalke, Rowland Jones and a few others envisaged.

What a wonderful privilege.

Last edited by gmlsmit on Wed Jul 30, 2008 6:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 5:48 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

What really is a pity concerning old KNP stories and their continuation is that apparently field rangers and guides have to have a minimum matric or equivalent qualification , and bearing in mind that the older field staff have knowledge from years of experience in the wilds , the current field staff and guides have mostly grown up in civilisation and do not have the "repertoire" of experiences to pass on that the older fellows were able to pass on from generation to generation and to wilderness lovers .
Yes , the memories of the "wild Kruger" will soon be forever gone .

KNP is sacred. I am opposed to the modernisation of Kruger and from the depths of my soul long for the Kruger of yesteryear! 1000+km on foot in KNP incl 56 wild trails.200+ nights in the wildernessndloti-indigenous name for serval.

Post subject: Confessions
Unread postPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 2:43 am 

Hi everyone,

I remembered this story as I was watching home movies and we made reference to it.

When I was little (late 80s) my family would often stop in one of those little loops that ran alongside the river on the main road between Skukuza and Lower Sabie to eat some samis in the shade. Every now and then an unsuspecting tour bus would come in behind us to see what we were "looking" at. When we saw them approaching my dad would grab the video camera (which back then was the size of the news crew cameras and needed it's own suitcase as it used vhs tapes to record), my older brother would grab the normal camera and my little brother and I would have the binocs. We would then be pointing and getting all excited...then we'd drive off (much to my moms disapproval) leaving the tourists who were TAKING PHOTOS behind to guess what we had seen.
I ashamedly admit this apologise if we did it to you - but boy was it funny then.

Since I'm confessing...

If we spotted something unreal and a loud, obnoxious car pulled up we would lift up coffee mugs as if we had stopped for a drink, they would then move on. If a car stopped who looked genuinely interested, we'd say "Oh by the way, there's a leopard in the tree"

~Hope you all forgive me~ :redface: :lol:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 8:14 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

No need to apologise. We've been known to pull the same tricks :lol:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 9:29 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

My standard procedure is to take out my map or bird book when I am alone at a special sighting when cars (pirate viewers) start to roll up . They then usually move on to the next cage without stopping .

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 9:48 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

I can never understand how many people never see or appreciate anything unless it is a Lion . There are so many things to appreciate eg a pair of Steenbok , a Kudu bull, Waterbuck , a herd of Impala ( just stop and watch them and see and enjoy their interactions) a Fish Eagle calling the call of AFRICA , a Lilac Breasted Roller ,a Sugar bird , A Lizard , a Monitor , Dwarf Mongoose , a Lily Trotter , a Flock of Guinea Fowl , a Dung Beetle , a pair of Plovers , Egyptian Geese enjoying their brood,Khori Bustards , Korhaans ,Eagles , Buzzards, Falcons , Kingfishers ( we really missed their chip chirr call during July - out of season ) or listen and you will hear the distant knock knock of a woodpecker and the call of Barbet or the whoop whoop a Ground Hornbill. Just for a moment watch a group of Yellowbilled Hornbils and more and more . I am going to stop now as withdrawal symptoms are making me miserable.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 10:57 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

I usually put a little humerous poster in my car's back window which reads;

Please pass
Birdwatcher

also spiders, lizards, insects
and the other sex

If I have this up, people will just drive by without even slowing down, and I have had a lion stand next to my car and they don't even look. :lol:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 11:12 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

I see your point about lions gmlsmit and Imax

But
1) Sometimes I may have seen many kudus that morning so it might not appeal to stick around for another kudu when there may be a pangolin at the next corner :D
2) I am an amateur sighter and if it wasn't for the kindheartedness and patience of other seasoned spotters we (and that includes my SO and 2 kids) might not see what you see at all. I actually thought it was fantastic that people pointed out the sighting and then moved on so we could enjoy. This happened many a time and including at lion sightings, yes L I O N .
3) Some people travel long distances from far away places around the world all the way to Kruger and have only a shotr time there. They have been brainwashed into the BIG 5 mentality. But when you are there and as the days enfold Kruger and its people and its animals slowly convert you to.....

Slow down , even Stop and appreciate what is there - what we have....even the 'small' stuff.

So all you SAffies and Kruger lovers do continue the traditions of being hospitable to your Kruger guests. After all Kruger is a GIFT you have been given.

And a gift is doubly special each time it is shared.

(Amen)

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 11:29 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

:clap: Very well said Rusky....agree 100%

There are so many posts and threads about the "good old days" when everyone respected one another, waved etc...All the rose tinted stuff of yesteryear....(I agree, much of that is true)...But surely then....if we can still remember them, then we should make it our business to continue those traditions, its the only way they'll catch on...not to everyone, but to the true lovers of the bush. Take Rusky for example.....a brand new visitor....he and his family have only been once, in 2008...yet he values the courteous traditions that so many of us think are dying out....in contrast there are no doubt people living on KNP's doorstep, in Nelspruit for example, who have been a number of times but could'nt care less.

Wave, even if you don't get a wave back.

Point out sightings, even if others don't point them out to you.

I so appreciate the MANY times that other visitors have shown us something....whether it's a Scops Owl in camp, or a Leopard in the shade 300m from Orpen Gate - we had missed it and were leaving the Park and had not seen Leopard that trip, friendly visitors at the fuel station told us where to look........... the year ...2002! -

The excitement and joy on the faces of people we have helped see something is as rewarding as the sighting itself.

Granted, there has been the rare occasion that we have chosen not to waste our energy on inconsiderate people..they usually move on rather quickly anyway.

Rusky's sentiments are absolutely true....the KNP is a gift. I would add.... it is NOT OURS, it belongs to NOBODY....we are merely blessed to live in close proximity to it and that makes us CUSTODIANS - It is a gift to the world....

Each one of us who loves the Park should make a special effort to teach newcomers the old ways....simply by sharing them.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 12:46 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

As an old timer who has been going there since the rose tinted times , I still ,even today wave at passers by in KRUGER and it is amazing how often long faces light up and then they return the greeting.No true nature lover will upset other rule abiding visitors.We also do not mind indicating sightings as we have "Bush Eyes " and realise that not everyone has.Visitors from overseas are very welcome to a share of something sacred to us.We all realise that they do not have the privilege we have.What true nature lovers want to share is all of KRUGER as it is, not only the BIG 5 . March 2008 my wife and myself were staying in Shingwedzi , while washing dishes a young man pitched up and asked whether the water was safe to drink.We confirmed . It then transpired that him and his young wife were Canadians backpacking They started in Cape Town , to the Garden Route , to Zimbabwe , to Zambia , to Malawi , to Tanzania through Mozambique to Nelspruit ( all in taxis and crowded buses )where they bought some camping gear , hired a car and travelled through KRUGER , We chatted for quite a while and it was wonderful to us hearing the appreciation they had for this beautiful place called KRUGER.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 6:28 pm 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Smile and wave! (Even though my SO thinks I am mad!) :lol:

Want to know more about the SANParks Honorary Rangers? Visit www.sanparkshr.org

One positive deed is worth more than a thousand critical words.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 6:47 pm 

There's not much that can beat the feeling of pointing out a special sighting to someone who hasn't seen it and getting a beaming smile in return.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 9:07 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Ditto Imberbe and saraf on the preceding postings. :D

Post subject: Old kruger stories
Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 10:37 pm 

Can anybody still remember, or even better, still have some of those excellent black and white postcards of the Kruger from the late 50's early 60's .The photo's were taken by Dick Wolff ?
Groetnis.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 198 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 14  Next