Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 198 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14
 Post subject: Re: Old Kruger park Stories
Unread postPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 5:52 pm 

Hi all

have been going to the Park since I was a child and remember when the north was closed during the summer, and reservations being like gold dust, gravel roads and being boiled in the car.

My story however, concerns the late 80's, I had managed to get a long weekend (for me) during school holidays only camp available was Shingwedzi, so ES and I were off, SO was working, so couldn't come., and in accordance with family tradition first night meal in restaurant. The restaurant
had animal heads mounted on the walls, not just skulls and horns, and that night buffalo was on the menu. (it would have neem better as biltong) but while we are eating ES in a lound voice asks the manager why he shot the buffalo, not once but several times, and wanted to know why they could not go to a butchery and get meat like everyone else, WHY must they shoort the amimals?
I am by this stage trying to stifle laughter, at the expressions on other diners faces. Mind you never a dull moment with small children around :o

NO HOTEL DEVELOPMENT IN KRUGER

Post subject: Re: Old Kruger park Stories
Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 2:52 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
Livingstone wrote:
Tshokwane was similar but the tree was enclosed and it was a tearoom.
The water at Satara and Tshokwane was brackish and undrinkable
I remember Steravieta milk that was sold in the shops.

bambazonke wrote:
why they could not go to a butchery and get meat like everyone else, WHY must they shoort the amimals?

Some funny/great/brilliant old Kruger stories here :clap: :clap: :clap:. The restaurants in Kruger were indeed a highlight of the trip and at least one meal in the Restaurants was Kruger tradition :D whether it was breakfast, lunch or dinner. I also remember the set menu’s in the restaurants they had in the 1980’s. We could not wait for the drumming to start – dinner time :P ! The Letaba Restaurant was our favorite – I guess the view has had something to do with it. Luckily that view is still the same today :thumbs_up:

Post subject: Re:
Unread postPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 7:58 am 

Shidzidzii wrote:

Castle , Lion or Brandy and Coke era . Scotch and soda was for back home .

:k

This is STILL how it is. Beer for the braai, brandy/rum with Coke for the evening's chat. Brandy and Coke is just not something that I would ever drink in the city, but in the bush it is not only perfectly acceptable, but absolutely delicious.

Ok. I acknowledge that I'm weird. :D

KNP Lower Sabie 25 April to 3 May 2015

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 198 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14