Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 72 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 9:58 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Not sure if some camps still do it, but I remember as a child they used to show wildlife movies at night using those old film projectors against a concrete screen.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri May 06, 2005 7:30 am 
Guru
Guru

acekam wrote:
Not sure if some camps still do it, but I remember as a child they used to show wildlife movies at night using those old film projectors against a concrete screen.

Hi Acekam and others on this thread

Many camps still show films, Berg n Dal, Pretoriuskop and Skukuza come to mind immediately. But unfortunately it is not a standard product, simply because of logistics. Many camps were still operating on the old film projector mode only a few years ago and - thanks to generous help from the Honorary Rangers and other organisations - we were able to replace most of the equipment with "modern" TVs and VHS machines.
As most will know, repeated "heavy duty" use of VHS systems takes its toll on both tapes and equipment, but we try and keep everything in working order. It also depends largely on customer demand. I am sure that the Hospitality Services Managers of camps will make every effort in this regard if he/she receives enough enquiries.

Speaking of photography and judging by the amount of pretty serious equipment hanging around many people's necks, the KNP is certainly a photographer's paradise. I don't know about anyone else but I enjoy going out on my own to a few special spots and hopefully snap away in my own time. Like Meg, I also started out with a 35mm Ricoh SLR with an 80 - 200mm lens and plenty of E-6 film in my gadget bag. And like most, I have also progressed (degressed?) to the digital generation. That said, I still enjoy shooting off the occassional role of E-6 just for fun (when I can afford it). I am glad to read that I am not alone!

At the risk of this subject being on another thread (and getting the wrath of WTM down on me), what would you guys and girls feel about SANParks organised photographic tours? Personally (I have seen some of these tours in action) I don't like them as I perceive that they might cramp my style and everyone ends up getting either the same or pretty similar shots, but what do you guys think? There are a few private companies that run them but we, as an organisation, don't as yet.

Kind regards
KNP Spokesman

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri May 06, 2005 7:46 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

KNP Spokesman wrote:

At the risk of this subject being on another thread (and getting the wrath of WTM down on me), what would you guys and girls feel about SANParks organised photographic tours? Personally (I have seen some of these tours in action) I don't like them as I perceive that they might cramp my style and everyone ends up getting either the same or pretty similar shots, but what do you guys think? There are a few private companies that run them but we, as an organisation, don't as yet.

Kind regards
KNP Spokesman

SIES WTM! :evil: Even KNPS is scared of you! :lol:

I wouldn't like going on a photographic tour in KNP myself. There I want to enjoy it by myself. 8)

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri May 06, 2005 9:10 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Thanks KNP for setting the record straight on the night movies. I think there would be a demand for photographic tours, provided they were in small groups. I think we've seen on these forums that there is a wide range of activities and aspects of the Kruger experience that different people prefer and this would be a great addition to the options available.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri May 06, 2005 9:52 am 
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

KNPSM wrote:
Speaking of photography and judging by the amount of pretty serious equipment hanging around many people's necks, the KNP is certainly a photographer's paradise.

It is! I was amazed when I entered Kruger, and still am. You have all the things needed for photographers, the quiet, the animals, the light, the landscape, the restfull feeling (left that behind, could I have it back?), the plants, you have it all.
But don't tell everyone, it would get too busy :lol:

Feel free to use any of these additional letters to correct the spelling of words found in the above post: a-e-t-n-d-i-o-s-m-l-u-y-h-c

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri May 06, 2005 9:56 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Birder of the Year (2013)
Back then the golf course was only open to staff members. Now anyone can play!!! :D

Follow me as I bird on Twitter @wildtuinman

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri May 06, 2005 12:31 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

KNP Spokesman wrote:

Kind regards
KNP Spokesman

KNPS, this is a very interesting idea. It would depend I think on how they were run. For example, would such tours be limited to the roads only, where we can already travel? Or would it be more like the old style night drives where guides were allowed (or am I getting someone into trouble?) to go off the roads in order to get closer to interesting creatures?

BTW - which Ricoh did you start off with? Mine was the KR-5 Super II, which was sadly stolen 4 years ago :x . I've since replaced it with the even older (but actually better) XR-1 thanks to EBay, and also still love to shoot a couple of rolls of Velvia when I can justify it.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon May 09, 2005 8:17 pm 

KNP Spokesman wrote:
Hi Acekam and others on this thread

Many camps still show films, Berg n Dal, Pretoriuskop and Skukuza come to mind immediately. But unfortunately it is not a standard product, simply because of logistics. Many camps were still operating on the old film projector mode only a few years ago and - thanks to generous help from the Honorary Rangers and other organisations - we were able to replace most of the equipment with "modern" TVs and VHS machines.
As most will know, repeated "heavy duty" use of VHS systems takes its toll on both tapes and equipment, but we try and keep everything in working order. It also depends largely on customer demand. I am sure that the Hospitality Services Managers of camps will make every effort in this regard if he/she receives enough enquiries.

I enjoyed watching a documentary on a lion pride while waiting for a night drive to begin at Satara. Are there any documentaries filmed in Kruger? I, for one would find them fascinating.

KNP Spokesman wrote:

Kind regards
KNP Spokesman

Oh yes please. :clap:
As an enthusiastic beginner I'd love the opportunity to learn and improve my skills from the more experienced photographers. In fact I was going to start looking around to see if anyone did this for my next visit. Like everyone else said though, it would have to be kept to small groups.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon May 09, 2005 8:28 pm 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

KPN Spokesman
Photographic tours can be rewarding and could be profitable
for KPN.
But then KPN must offer something extra.
Some ideas
Do roads that are closed to the public
Can leave the camps at a earlier hour and return at a later hour.
Allowed to visit normaly closed waterholes etc.

A other idea (seen that in Namibie and East African countries) organize a all in one. Learning the trade from a pro and then put into effect while touring the park. And in the evening i bit of this and that etc.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 9:53 am 
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

Maybe you can talk Nigel Dennis into taking a few people and a ranger into areas where we would not normally be allowed to go?

New area's and photography lessons in 1 go 8)

Feel free to use any of these additional letters to correct the spelling of words found in the above post: a-e-t-n-d-i-o-s-m-l-u-y-h-c

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 10:03 am 

KNP Spokesman wrote:
what would you guys and girls feel about SANParks organised photographic tours?

As I have never done a photographic tour, how about some of you who have experience in this telling us what one can expect from the avarage type of photpgraphic safari. Is it just driving around in an open vechile snapping everything you see or what?

Post subject: Some Interesting Facts from the Good Old Days
Unread postPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 10:20 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

I have a book published in 1974 called Kruger Park Guide but Anthony Dawes.

Did you know that in 1974 :

Not all camps were open all year round.
Croc Bridge, Punda Marie (then called Punda Milia), Shingwidzi, Nwanedzi, Malelane, Balule were closed from Nov through to April.

In 1974 it cost :

R3-00 per adult in a hut at Letaba
R16-00 for a family cottage with kitchenette for 4 people at Olifants
R2-50 pp at Orpen (hut)
R7-50 for self contained Rondeval (for 2) at Pretoriuskop.
Etc

Quote:
Self-contained rondavels at Lower Sabie, Pretoriuskop and Skukuza are air-conditioned. Some ordinary huts are also available air-conditioned at R1-00 per night extra

Camping : Per vehicle (5 or fewer people) R1-50, 20cents a night per extra person.

Entrance Fees :
Adults R1-50
Children (aged 6 - 16) 50 cents
Cars : R1-oo plus 50 cents a day
Etc

Restaurant Meals :

Breakfast : 80 cents
Lunch : R1-20
Dinner : R1-50
Half price of above for children under 10

Then there is a 2 page list of what visitors should take with them such a clothing, medicines, etc etc (it looks as bad as my camping list, which excludes some of the items mentioned in the book.

The Rand conversion rate in 1973 was

R1-00 / GBP0.69p
R1-00/ USD1.49

What happened to the good old days??

Hope you enjoyed this bit of info :D

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 11:04 am 

My 1St Trip to Kruger with out my parents was in 1979 in March after being a guest of the government for to 2 years the Camps we visit was Letaba, Lower Sabie and Pretoriuskop.
Our total budget were R220.00 :wink:
Costs accommodation R90.00 for 7 nights.
Petrol R75.00
The rest went into “Dopâ€Â

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 12:05 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Those were the heydays for KNP and they were 100% fully booked even out of season. Many accomodation bookings were done on the ex-military radios at each camp.
The infrastructure, facilities, roads, accomodation and shops were already up to the standard they are today and even beter maintained. The shops stocked frozen meat that was beter than you could bring in from outside. Beers and ice were also freely available and well priced. And culled buffalo/elephant biltong was about R2 a kilo. All we used to take in was Scotch whisky, dry groceries (coffee, sugar, tin food etc.) and fruit/vegetables. Milk was exclusivly condensed type in tins.
Those restaurant meals were 5 course affairs unbeatable anywere. And they were beter patronized than today so they were profitable too. Olifants camp lunch was a cold meats and salad buffet and I remember some Capetonians raved about it and that really says something.
And the price stability continued unto the early 80's. In 1981 the huts at Shingwedzi and Punda Maria were R3-50 for 2 a night in summer (50% discount).
Fuel in those days came directly from Lourenco Marques and was substantialy cheaper than that in "civilization".
In 1977 the tar road reached Pafuri and the park's developement was at it's zenith in my opinion.
Only discomfort I remember was the lack of Airconditioning in our motorcars leading to excesive consumption of cold beers.
But most accomodation did have airconditioning although I still maintain that the board should rather have invested in swimming pools in ALL camps.
Budgetwise a trip is about a hundred times more costly today than thirty years ago for exactly the same trip. But an addict will pay even if it was a thousand times more.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 5:03 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Ok, I was only four years old then, but don't forget that R 1.50 wasn't a little bit of money in 1979.

Being African is not determined by race, but by what's in your heart

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 72 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next