Skip to Content

Albasini Ruins

BrendaK

Re: Albasini Ruins

Unread postby BrendaK » Mon Aug 22, 2011 11:49 am

I think it is important as well to connect the Albasini ruins to Manungukop and Josikulu spruit. As these people worked for Albasini. I am also interested to hear more about Magashulu and his people who used to live there.
This is such a colourful history.

Isn't this also the site where a lion killed the children of a Lance Corporal Willie Nkuna? and where he then stabbed the lioness when she attacked him while he was preparing the road for the funeral?
"I am doomed to be a wanderer, I am not an empire builder, I am not a missionary, I am not truly a scientist, I merely want to return to the bush to continue my wanderings" (Joseph Thompson - The bush for me and Africa for him)

ecojunkie
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread postby ecojunkie » Mon Aug 22, 2011 6:19 pm

The 2 children's graves are right behind the buildings at Phabeni gate - on the left as you enter. We found them the other day, and there is no markings at all to explain what they are.
Smiling is contagious. Start an epidemic today!

Have you read the entrance permit? Do you KNOW the Conditions of Entry?

Completed over 6 years in Kruger in my caravan.

If I was normal I wouldn't be me!

BrendaK

Unread postby BrendaK » Tue Aug 23, 2011 2:08 pm

Ecojunkie, this is so exciting, can the public visit the graves? will there be an information board about this?
"I am doomed to be a wanderer, I am not an empire builder, I am not a missionary, I am not truly a scientist, I merely want to return to the bush to continue my wanderings" (Joseph Thompson - The bush for me and Africa for him)

ecojunkie
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread postby ecojunkie » Tue Aug 23, 2011 2:51 pm

At present the graves are surrounded by a very tired wire fence, with no markers. We do hope to put this right!

It is fairly easy to find them.....behind the toilet blocks on the north side of the reception area.
Smiling is contagious. Start an epidemic today!

Have you read the entrance permit? Do you KNOW the Conditions of Entry?

Completed over 6 years in Kruger in my caravan.

If I was normal I wouldn't be me!

BrendaK

Unread postby BrendaK » Tue Aug 23, 2011 2:54 pm

Thank you so much!!!!! :gflower: I have to see them.

micromammal

Unread postby micromammal » Tue Jul 10, 2012 10:13 am

I use Albasini Ruins as the afternoon practical for the Parks Heritage 1 course I present. I challenge students (HRs and SANPark staff) to think about the reinterpretation and message of the site. There is much that can be done. I do not (as an academic) think all research questions RE: the trade routes have been answered. But alas the issue is funding! Any HR Region interested in funding a possible research and reinterpretation excercise? We have concrete ideas and suggestions but cannot go forth with further discussion with SANParks (e.g. getting it on the wish list) unless we can take it forward!

Return to “History, Archeology and Culture”