Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 11 posts ] 
 Post subject: Children 18 and older on Family Wild Card or Student Card?
Unread postPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:52 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

I would like to know why a child of 18 years and older that is still living with his parents can not be kept on the family wild card and need to get his own Wild card. Most children of 18 is still in school and those under 21 years might be studying without any income. Can't this limit be changed to 21 years. I cannot see the difference between a child with disabilities and the one without if both are dependent on the parents and cannot purchase the card him / herself due to no income received during studies at school or tertiary institution.

My second question is a proposal rather and want to know why can't you get a student card to be issues for individuals still studying if they can't fall under their parents Wild Card? (18 - 25 years) for half the price of ~ R180.

This means that for a family of 3 adults the cost will be R595 (couple) + R180 (student) = R775. This will be less expensive for parents with 1 child age 18 years. The current cost is R955 vs. R745 the previous year when the child was 17 years old.

Quote:
When making a purchase or renewal, can a child that is 18 years old or older, but still lives with me be or remain on my Family Card?

If there is only one adult member on a family card, the child that is over 18 can be a partner on the card, otherwise unfortunately he/she will need to obtain an Individual Wild Card for himself/herself.

I have a child who is mentally challenged and is 18 years or older, can he/she be on my Family card?

If the child that is over 18 is mentally challenged and has been certified by the doctor as being dependent on parents or guardian, then they are liable to be a child member on the card. You will need to send us proof of his/her condition when making the purchase to wildcard@sanparks.org or fax to +2712 426 5480.

Considering the fact that one can add 5 children that are not dependent on your income on a family card I feel that the system for 18 years old and students needs to be revised. The family card needs to be revised to eliminate the fact that the family card can be misused by adding your grandchildren / niece / nephews or your child's friends on the card. In case of 2 families joining the park looses R150 per year and even more, while those with older kids need to pay R210/R360/ up to R600 more depending on the number of children over and under 18 years of age. If all your kids still fit into one car and the child have no other means of visiting the park than driving with you they should still fall under one card and not 2 cards (family and Individual).

Quote:
How many people may be added to a Family Card?The Family card allows for a maximum of seven people added to the card. This could thus be a maximum of two adults and five children or one adult and six children.

Post subject: Re: Children 18 and older on Family Wild Card or Student Car
Unread postPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 11:21 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

I think that there will probably be an overall price increase on Nov 1, when the costs for the following year are announced.
There has been talk of the increasing costs of conservation measures!
So if you need a new wildcard, it might be a good time to buy one.
I also think that the proposed price, whether increased or not needs to be announced in good time.

Unread postPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 9:18 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Looks like I am the only one with teenagers on this forum. :twisted: :twisted:

Unread postPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 10:32 am 

The response I got from Wild Card is:

Quote:
They are working on the student card. I am not sure when it will be available.

Unread postPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 7:17 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Thanks saraf. I am sure a lot of student will be happy to get a bit of discount. Hope it won't take too long.

Unread postPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 8:00 pm 

:thumbs_up: I hope it won't be too long but...

Unread postPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 8:14 pm 
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

FAC Member (2012)
Son godin wrote:
Looks like I am the only one with teenagers on this forum. :twisted: :twisted:

SG I agree with you, that it would be fairer to allow young people to stay on the family card until they finish full time education (21yrs)

Hope it can be sorted for you. :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 8:04 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

The Wild Card seems to be the only place where 18 is the age of children. Elsewhere over 12 years is considered adult, (paying accommodation and Conservation fees without Wild Card.) See the Tariffs on the Web page.

Ast binman bin mam?
Lancashire dialect

Ready for the next Cricket Weekend!

New Year trip 2014-2015 booked.

Unread postPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 8:04 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

DavenJan,

I am not sure what you trying to say with your comment. Legally children under 21 is still the responsibility of their parents. At 18 years old you will find very few kids that are employed in case they want to be educated and visited the park one day by earning enough money. Children between 12 - 18 are not allowed to be employed by most countries and if allowed still seen as child labour and not adult labour.

Comparing accommodation to entrance fees has no relevance. The 12 year old won't be able to drive round in the park in a car on his / her own, but must be with his / her parents. Therefore no additional load on the park.

When taking up accommodation a 12 year old will occupy a bed the same as an adult and therefore charge as an adult, but for obvious reason can only visit the park as part of a family / with adults older than 18 years.

The point that you made about daily conservation fees is true, but this is not about the entrance fee only, but also the inconvenience of getting 2 cards. If we go just on conservation fees then you must get different prices for family cards, starting from 1 to 5 children all at different fees and according to age as well. This is not the case and a family of 7 thus have a huge benefit above one of 3. For most schemes, e.g. medical aid you pay extra for each beneficiary. I don't have a problem against that, but do have one that my school going child can suddenly not fall under my card. And who is going to pay for the card. Not the child but the parent.

I am not sure if you don't have children or they are already adults in the true sense of being independent, but I am sure if you had a few teenagers you would have thought differently.

You will be paying R800 for the family card to include the younger kids and take out a second card for the child that are still at school, but 18 years old. A few year later you need to get a couples card and family card, while legally you are still responsible for your children even though they are 18 to 20 years old.

A student card will not solve the problem of 1 card only in a family, but at least it will be a help for young adults that is still legally under a guardian.

I just want to emphasize again. My post is not just about the extra money, but the inconvenience to get 2 cards again after I have finally got my family card.

Unread postPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 7:54 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

What I was trying to point out was that I was surprised that the child age for Wild card was 18 (basically used to pay the daily conservation fee) when every where else Sanparks has under 12 as the child age.

Oh by the way I have taken my children to KNP, and my grandchildren too. :D

I do see your point about two cards, and the student card. Maybe they should have a Pensioners rate too.

Ast binman bin mam?
Lancashire dialect

Ready for the next Cricket Weekend!

New Year trip 2014-2015 booked.

Unread postPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 5:48 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

DavenJan,

If you had the option to take out two Individual Wild Cards for the same price than for a Couple's Card, which one will you choose? When buying two cards you also need to go through two on-line transaction getting two different numbers.

I will buy the couple's card rather and I am sure most of us will go for that option of one Wild card, because it is already hard enough to get one, never mind making two separate payments and hoping you get both cards.

Why I need to get two cards is because there is current no card available for a family of 3 adults, even though the one adult is still dependent on his parents for all his needs and still at school. For that reason its only fair to make the max age for a family card to < 21 years.

You said that you have grandchildren (I assume teenagers 18 years and older then, because that was my question :wink: ) In that case they are not on your card and on their parent's cards. What was your experience then when going to the park with young adults. Did you or the parents bought an additional individual card or do you just pay the daily conservation fee for them.

There are quite a lot of people wanting the pensioners card back, but I am sure you were lucky to get the lifetime card a few years back. According to Wild card they will still honour their promise to pensioners that bought the lifetime Wild card from Infinety. :thumbs_up: