Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  Page 1 of 3
 [ 32 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Toddelelfe's Sightings : KNP December 2005
Unread postPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 5:21 pm 

TE landed safely in SA yesterday. Had a long wait at customs. He is driving a black Renault Modus. No YR sightings to report in Jhb.

He is in Warmbaths (Bela Bela) today enjoying lovely weather, a swim and a braai but cannot wait for tomorrow - Marakele.

TE sends you all his regards.

A roaring lion does not catch any prey - African Proverb

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 8:35 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Hi all,
aircon works very well. Good car. Good weather nice place tcomorrow moening i go to Marakele and will send youo a report as soon as possible.

May 27th - 31th Letaba, May 31th - June 2nd Skukuza, June 2nd - June 4th Berg-En-Dal

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 6:02 pm 

Received this from TE this afternoon:

Quote:
Hi, great day at Marakele. No Big 5 but many other great sightings. To name a few like baboon, blue wildi, red harte, monitor, duiker, kudu and on the way to 2 towers very close klipspringer + CGF. Now I sit in my car on top of the Towers in light thunderstorm. The road is unbelievable :wink: and the look is great.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 6:04 pm 

Some minutes later:

Quote:
1, no 2, no, 3 rhinos!!

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 6:13 pm 

A few seconds later....

Quote:
Add mama + baby rhino 2 my list. So cute!

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 6:26 pm 

Sms just in from TE:

Quote:
Now left the Park – Wednesday to KNP! :D

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 7:50 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Hi All! :yaya:
Special thx to DB for posting the SMS. I will try to write tomorrow a great report. Now im a little bit tired after being in the car for more than 13 hours.
@Jose, thx for your greetings.

A great day in a great country!

May 27th - 31th Letaba, May 31th - June 2nd Skukuza, June 2nd - June 4th Berg-En-Dal

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 7:17 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Toddelelfe goes to Marakele
Leaving in the morning Bela Bela /Warmbath. After a quiet trip of about 130km and a break in Thabazimbi I arrived at 8:45 at the Gate. Very quiet, the guard at the gate, the cleaning woman and the woman at reception were all people there.
They were all very friendly, and the woman at the reception gave me good explanations. After buying the Wildcard and getting the permit, what takes +- 15 minutes, I went to the toilet. Thought, it could be the last chance for a while. Notice to all, there are no other facilities at the gate. No shop, curious, restaurant i.e.
Then I drove to the gate. I love it ;-) , to fill in all the formularies in SA. Ok, the guard filled up the most. I signed and gate opened.
No beer, no music, but opened all windows and smelling and hearing and seeing. I feel home! At this moment it became to be hot there. But im clever enough to take a big bottle of water with me. But I forget the ashtray. So I took the box from the films.
And now starting to found the game. All roads in the main section of Marakele are gravelled. I took the junction left, and the 1st sighting. Around a lot of dung, perhaps Rhino, I saw a Dung Beetle, trying do his work. Not a clever boy, I think. Ran there and there and least he falls on his back. Oh silly boy. I couldn`t see this dramatic action, so I leave the place.
On the next 2 km I saw some Piggies (very nervous and shy) and some Impies. And a lonely male Baboon running very fast across the road and hiding behind some bushes. Then I saw a Blue Wildebeest.Great for the 1st 30min.
Than I came to the fence and drove up the fence on my left. The area has many bushes, some trees and you could not look at any times deep in the bush. Also many parts of the park has burned, but there came a lot of fresh green up. And the night before it had be rained. Lots of small pools in road holes.
Then, whats that? Oh Rock Monitor on the Road. He what does he? Moves into a hole, makes :yaya: and was never seen again.
Leaving the fence and went in the middle of the park, saw Red Hartebeest and Impies. Very quiet but beautiful. Then I came to the picnic spot. Here I saw the first other car in the park. Two Ladies having their break there. We are talking about our sightings. They had seen yesterday 8 / eight Rhinos. Whow. I eat some fruits and cakes and walked around the picnic spot. In the bach of the place are some basic toilets. And then I saw threw bushes again running baboons. These are not KNP - Baboons. No chance for a pic. Seeing many centipedes on the ground, nice birds in the trees (don’t ask for names) and a Gecko. And it was hot.
Then I leaved the place and came to the open plain area. Looks a little bit like the open places in Serengeti I saw on tv. Very nice, lovely, one of my favourite places. Than I saw a little antelope. I think a Duiker. Not sure. I will later post the pic, for your help to id. And really like Serengeti, many Zebras and Black Wildebeest. Also Red Hartebeest with baby. And many Impies and Piggies. And a lovely group of Kudu.
Then I decided to go back to the gate. There is near by a 2nd section of the park. All roads there are only accessible by 4x4, but the road to The Towers is tarred and could drive with a normal sedan. The Woman at the gate warned me, if I be scared about the heights I better will not go. But I will try it.
At 15:00 I arrived at this Gate. Only one guard there, a normal fencegate. If I see correct in the list of the guard, im the visitor of the day! Behind a 2nd sedan. The road is really small, but in good condition. No problem to drive. Ups and down, lovely, green landscape. Looks like the â€Â

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 7:51 pm 

TE is in Kruger! Just received this from him:

Quote:
Arrived at gate at 3. 1st eagle, baby impies & birds. Had rained but not enough. But new green on the way. PM camp is nice. Tent great! No 3 view on the bush.

Took a late ride on a part of Mahonie Loop. Male lion, duiker & birds.

Dinner & 1st Castle are finished. Only bushnoises. Bye, TE

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 10:48 am 

Just got this sms from TE:

Quote:
Been at Klopperfontein. Very nice. Best for the moment nyala, snail, buffs, marabou on road, ellie, flieldranger & goose. Now brekkie, then Parfuri.

Will ask him to say 'Hi' to Frank from us :D

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 5:02 pm 

Received this from TE:

Quote:
H1-8 bonedry. No sightings! Pafuri no YR, no Frank. Malachite. When I want to go, Calvin gives me a sign. He shows me swimming ellies with small ones, cute! On S63 to Crooks Corner lots of game. Many baby impies, baboons, nyala, kudu, crocs, waterbuck & kingfisher.

Now back in PM. Take the Flycatcher Trail.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 1:09 pm 

TE has just sent this report:

Quote:
Oh what a night! Thunderstorm! Lot of wind & more than 12 hours of rain. All is wet. Many loops are closed. Now up to SHingwedzi for 3 nights. And buffs blocked H1-7 like "no passing". Now at Babalala.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 6:36 pm 

Just received this sms from TE:

Quote:
Rain has stopped. General game. Buffs, ground hornbill & many other lovely birds at S-river. Also hippo & yellow mongoose. Start now to braai.

:mrgreen:

TE is at Shingwedzi.....

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2005 9:00 pm 

TE has just sent in this report:

Quote:
Today a sunny and warm day. Normal game like ellie, buffs, bateleur & waterturtle & unknown critter. Will post pic as soon as possible.

Lazy midday, very nice pool!

Sunset with nice driver. Sharpes grysbok, matial easgle on rock monitor carcass & 2 teeny hyenas. After being back again enjoying the pool. Now I'm tired - tomorrow the long ride to Balule.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 7:35 pm 

TE's sms received late this afternoon:

Quote:
Sitting at Balule. What a quiet camp. The noisiest thing in the camp is me! Don't miss the pool, its cold!

Highlights near SH - adult hyena, baby buff, Tropic of C, 1st time. Bushbuck at Mooiplaas, vulture near Balule.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next