Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 198 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
 Post subject: Re: Old Kruger park Stories
Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 4:52 pm 

Aww gmlsmit, what a fantastic story. I felt as if I was with you on that trip. Like you we also love the Kruger. The smell of the bush, thatch etc as well as the sounds.. there is nothing to compare. Those memories will be with you forever. :clap:

Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 4:58 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Those memories will be with you forever

Agreed. :D Even while at Tshanga

Done 144 visits to National Parks.
What a wonderful privilege.

Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 5:30 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2012)
There were tears in my eyes when I read your report of the "old days" memories came flooding back..I could just about smell that thatch and the lamps Thank you

Unread postPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 6:23 pm 

My earliest memory goes back to the early/mid 60's. My Dad was a reporter for the Rand Daily Mail and was sent to Satara to cover a story for the paper about a fight between several lions/nesses that took place in the camp. I remember Dad hiring a Valiant in Phalaborwa and off we went down to Satara. The road was gravel and we forded several rivers en route. I also remember being terrified when the Camp Caretaker told us of what had happened. I think a lioness was killed. Dad lives abroad now but when I see him next month I will garner the details again.

Now roll on October because it's Nshawu Guest House time at Olifants -25-30th

Unread postPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 8:08 am 

Hi all,

maybe this thread can be regenerated...........

Would like to know who remembers traveling the old gravel road from Lower-Sabie to Tsokwane and what your experiences were...

Cheers,

Wayne

Unread postPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 4:51 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

I remember the first time we saw this huge Sausage tree with the thatch around it after a drive from SKUKUZA on our way to Olifants.

Dear old Dad took every circular route or turnoff possible, after his initial fear of Elephants had been overcome he relaxed and started enjoying our visist.

There was a fire with some steaming blackened kettles in a grid from which we made ome tea with which we enjoyed mom's home made Hertzoghies and Jan Smuts biscuits.

Here the tar ended and it was a dusty hot gravel road further on. We saw many wild animals and were just amazed at this paradise.

Satara was still a small camp, reception was in the corner of a longish office and the restaurant was on the vernadah, shade was provided by beautiful pink and mauve Baugainvileas we had some ice cold Golden Flo orange juice, it may have cost 10c per glass.

I still recall seeing our first wild Ostriches and then at Gudzani we found a few Sable drinking water and a bit further on we came across a huge peculiar black and white bald headed bird with a huge beak and a pink sack for a throat, standing alone in the hot sun as if it was lost, later I found out we had seen our first Marabou Stork.

In the distance we saw vultures circling the skies and Dear old Dad told me that what we were observing was a sure sign of Lion - it was quite true as not far beyond Shitsalaleni he spotted them, the heat and the dust and the long drive was all forgotton and we watched every move, the sun was moving westwards but time was of now consequence.

Eventually we drove on towards our destination, we took the turnoff to the Gorge lookout, here we had our first glimpse of the Olifants and now it was really hot and the Crocs were just visible in the water that was peacefully flowing through the rockface, the only sound was the the call of AFRICA - "I am, I am from AFRICA" coming from high above in the skies from the pair of beautiful black and white African Fish Eagles that were leizurely enjoying the cool of the updraught.

We had to move on and soon saw the turnoff to Balule and then crossed the Olifants and turned right.

We soon realised that we were now in Elephant territory, fortunately DOD was now reasonably at peace with them and we could enjoy our sightings. The sun was now from behind and we moved on, following the shade made by the dusty car, I also recall seeing our first Ground Hornbills perched on a thick horizontal tree branch close to the Olifants, Mom still mentioned that they must really get very hot in the sun with those pitch black glistening feathers.

A little later there was rockmound at a turnoff to the right indicating Olifants Camp. and about one kilometre further we saw the gates with the Elephant tusks . . . . .

After checking in and offloading into the freshly painted green rondawels and dusting the Grey Vauxhall, DOD and myself went to the ablution blocks which reaked of germotol and with brass taps shining we had the cleanest most beautifullest shower possible and then we collected Mom and the three of us went to the view point, here tall old me for the first time of many, bumped my head against the horizontal gum poles supporting the roof of the lookout.

After the bloody taste in my mouth and the smiles of my parents and the other tourists had disappeared we sat down and watched the day come to its end with the Hippos snorting far down below in the cool waters of the Olifants. In the distance we also had our first sighting of Giraffe coming down to quench their thirst and some Impala and some Waterbuck and some Kudu and some Elephant, eventally I realised that one pair of binoculars is not enough and to avoid possible future conflict, went to buy myself another set as DOD seemed to forget who owned the pair that we had been sharing up to now.

Unread postPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 5:42 pm 

When we lived in South Africa between '68 and '78 we went to the KNP twice.
I'm just so sorry that I can't remember anything from those hollidays. :(

I love to read the stories about those days gone by and how everybody experienced it. :clap: :clap: :clap:

Unread postPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 7:03 pm 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

One of my first memories as a child is hearing the lions we were looking for all day, roaring outside the camp that night. I just wanted to get in to the car and go and look for them, and could not understand why the whole camp (I think it was Satara) weren't rushing out ....

Also remember a water cooling bag my aunt bought as a special present. It had some kind of fabric covering, I think hessian on the outside, which you kept wet. It was hung on the bumper and while driving around the wind would cool the bag and you would have nice cold water. The only problem .... you had to wait to get back to camp to get to the water!

Want to know more about the SANParks Honorary Rangers? Visit www.sanparkshr.org

One positive deed is worth more than a thousand critical words.

Unread postPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 7:42 am 

I was wondering when last someone heard a lion roar in the vicinity of Skukuza, that used to be a regular occurance whereas today I have heard none for years.

Only the odd Hyena, not even jackal.

Where are the days they used to stroll through the camp at night?

Unread postPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 9:27 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

The Lions are still there, they still roar at night but are as often heard as in the past, sometimes the Jackals are stil herad - maybe I am just very lucky. :)

Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 9:14 pm 

Hello All,

Going back to the early 60's ("flip dis oud ma" adds my daughter next to me), i remember there being no electricity in the park.
In those days there were no fancy shops either, it was at the reception area consisting of only a counter that you could buy a loaf of stale bread and the most ghastly bottles of powder-milk and if you were in luck there would be toothpaste and soap on the shelf.

Who can remember the Selati Train whistling as it crosses the steel bridge at Skukuza? A steam train, i might add... Nowadays, the only thing crossing are the baboons spotted while you are enjoyin your sundowner in camp.

I miss the old Kruger and the memories, however the comforts of today are well appreciated too!

Oor en Uit,

VleiLoeries :dance:
(Nicholi & Nyoka)

Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 9:19 pm 

I love these old Park stories !
Warm welcome to the forums, VleiLoeries :D .
Looking forward to hear lots more from Ma and daughter !

Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 9:25 pm 

Imberbe wrote:

Also remember a water cooling bag my aunt bought as a special present. It had some kind of fabric covering, I think hessian on the outside, which you kept wet. It was hung on the bumper and while driving around the wind would cool the bag and you would have nice cold water. The only problem .... you had to wait to get back to camp to get to the water!

I remember us having that. It hung over the spare tire on the front of our VW bus.
Thanks Oom Boom. :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 10:51 am 

There has been no activity for awhile, I will be in Lower-Sabie next week. I have so many wonderful memories of the camp.

Will be staying in the single bed bungalow, they must be some of the first built in the camp.

I wonder who remembers the old entrance? Even before Sunset dam was built and before the current road to Shokwane. The old bridge was on the side where the restaurant is today..

Many many years ago, in a land far far away. How wonderful are those memories.

Thank you to my parents for introducing me to the Kruger so many years ago....

Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 11:00 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2012)
Oh I remember that road and bridge well We stayed there at LS on Honeymoon ... and had a meal or two at the very old restuarant.. long since gone.. Well its still there but not used for anything . Must really look up old photographs. No tarred roads then

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 198 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next