I think Davejenny got it right.

Cheers

Jon

Post subject: Re: Identification Help - General Birds
Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 10:18 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Agree with Davejenny's answers :thumbs_up:

2014 Birding Big Year- A 365 Day quest for 800 Species of Southern African Birds
Stiffnecks Member

Post subject: Re: Ibis: Hadeda Ibis
Unread postPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 2:04 pm 

A friend has a couple of hadedas that return every year to raise their young in a big tree on their property.

This year though, something must have upset the hen on her nest and none of the eggs hatched. My friend thought that this year would simply mean an "unproductive" year, but alas, in a few days she was back on the nest again and has not moved for 4 days now.

Could anybody tell me if they lay another batch of eggs in the same year, if the first batch failed to hatch? None of my books make mention of this tendency in Hadedas, although they do with some other birds.

I would appreciate some feedback, please!

Many Thanks!

lee lewis

I SAY NO TO HOTEL DEVELOPMENTS IN KRUGER NATIONAL PARK!

Post subject: Breeding Hadedas
Unread postPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 3:02 pm 

My wife and I had the pleasure of being human god-parents to a pair of breeding Hadeda Ibises recently. In early November they started building a nest in a tree about 30 metres from our back stoep, about 8 metres up. They were very obliging in selecting a perch amongst thick branches and dense leaves but with a perfect opening for us to see their every move. Or perhaps it was chosen in order for them to see that WE kept our distance. We followed the complete building process, spending more time on the verandah than in the house, with us ogling the two birds and them staring right back at us.
Eventually after about 27 days three babies emerged, originally we only saw two, but later realised that there were in fact three. During the nestling period the feeding, preening, scrubbing and other bird household chores were absolutely amazing to watch, everything done in complete silence, in fact, from the very first day they never made their loud hadeda cries near the nest, the parents only doing so after flying away some distance.
Then early one morning we were awakened by softish cries and much activity, one cry especially was short and hoarse, a very juvenile sound, the whole family was on the soft after-the-rain ground, foraging and learning how to find food. Sadly we realised the time of departure had arrived, and sure enough, a few days later the family took to the air with all the pent-up energy and hadeda sounds they could make, they circled once and were gone.
We regularly see and hear Hadedas flying over the house and we like to think that it is our three babies saying hello to us.
Sneeugans :shock: 8)

Last edited by Sneeugans on Sat Jan 30, 2010 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Breeding Hadedas
Unread postPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 3:11 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

What a great experience Sneeugans! :thumbs_up: We have some Orange-river White-eyes breeding in a Nandina next to our stoep at the moment and it is such a pleasure watching them!

And welcome to the forums hope you enjoy it here!!! :clap:

Unread postPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 3:44 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Welcome Sneeugans, how lucky you are to have been able to watch the entire process. Perhaps they'll be back next year since you were obviously exemplary Godparents!

Unread postPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 5:00 pm 

Thanks for saying hello and welcoming me, pantera leo and salamanda, much appreciated.
By the way I took some photos and if somebody tells me how, I can perhaps show one or two.
Keep gazing.
Sneeugans. Nelspruit

Unread postPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 5:18 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Hi Sneeugans, and welcome to the forum. Tutorials for posting photos here and here.

It would be wonderful to see photos of "your" hadeda family :dance: :dance:

Unread postPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 6:18 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Welcome to the forum Sneeugans! :thumbs_up:
I would like to see your photos as well. We also had a pair of Hadedas starting to build a nest in our yard until they spotted our neighbour's cats...they quickly abandoned their half built nest! :(

Unread postPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:53 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Welcome to the forum Sneeugans :lol:

Ai, it sounds as if you're describing our experience in becoming Hadeda godparents.
What a privilege to watch - our's had only two chicks and as they grew bigger, it seemed as if the nest was too small - until one day we witnessed the mom actually removing some of the twigs and sticks it was made of ... forcing them to venture out onto the brances of the tree.
From time to time we have hadedas sitting on the roof or in the tree where the nest was and like you, we wonder ... 8)

TheunsH - one night we had a monstrous storm and we were so worried that the young ones would fall out of the nest. Food for cats :shock: First thing next morning we were out - and two little wobbly chicks peered over the rim of the nest - I felt like crying, well, maybe a tear or two did find their way down my cheek :redface:

Unread postPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 5:02 pm 

:dance: :dance: :dance: Salamanda you were right. Our breeding birds are back. They arrived about a week ago without too much fanfare, being here much earlier than last year. I supplied a few sticks and twigs and they soon had them in the exact same spot. But they are very lackadaisical about the job at hand, maybe old doc Stork told them to take it slowly as the date is not right yet.
What we would like to know is, is it the same breeding parents as last year, or could it perhaps be the offspring? Perhaps somebody can tell us. :D :D :D
Sneeugans

Post subject: Guy Fawkes hadedas
Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 4:42 pm 

Our breeding pair have been sitting for about ten days now. It could be that the young ones make their appearance around the 5th of November. Does anybody still remember Guy Fawkes day?
We are still wondering whether it is last years breeding pair or their off-spring.
Sneeugans

Post subject: Re: Guy Fawkes hadedas
Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 4:50 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

:hmz: Interesting Sneeugans . How long do they take to hatch their eggs :doh:

Next :
3 - 6 Sept 2013 - Punda.
7 - 10 Sept 2013 -Shingwedzi .
11 - 13 Sept 2013 - Balule .
14 - 17 Sept 2013 - Satara .

Post subject: Re: Guy Fawkes hadedas
Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 5:20 pm 

They are incubated for 25-28 days, nestling for 35-37 days and independant at 49 days.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next